NEVER connect an ammeter in parallel ->WHY?

In summary, an ammeter should never be connected in parallel because it has low resistance and is designed to measure current. When connected in parallel, it creates a short circuit and the resulting high current can blow a fuse. It is recommended to connect an ammeter in series to correctly measure the current in a circuit.
hiyoo89physics
"NEVER connect an ammeter in parallel!" -->WHY?!

Why must an ammeter never be connected in parallel, or across the terminals of a power source?

All I know about this is that you'll blow a fuse if you connect an ammeter in parallel... but I don't know why you'd blow a fuse.

My guess: The current that you'd measure if the ammeter was connected in series would be the current that had gone through the resistor, so the current would be lower than the current coming straight out of the power supply. This un-resisted (?) current is too high for the ammeter to bear.

If you could help me on this, I'd be so grateful! THANK YOU!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you hook up an ammeter in series, it measures the entire current through the circuit. If you hook it up parallel to it, it will not experience the entire current through the circuit but only a fraction of it.

The more stuff you put in series, the higher the combined resistance will get.

All I know about this is that you'll blow a fuse if you connect an ammeter in parallel... but I don't know why you'd blow a fuse.
Because an ammeter has low 'resitance/impedance'. It is designed to measure the current. A high impedance would reduce the current and add a voltage drop.

Placing an ammeter in parallel produces a 'short circuit' and the resulting current will 'blow a fuse'.

Conversely, a voltmeter has a high impedance and is placed in parallel.

when does a fuse blow up??
because of the heavy current.
when you put an ammeter in parrallel, you are reducing the resistance of the circuit(ammeter has very low resistance).
low resistance = high current = blown fuse

1. Why is it important to never connect an ammeter in parallel?

Connecting an ammeter in parallel can cause a short circuit, potentially damaging the ammeter and other components in the circuit. It can also give inaccurate readings and potentially harm the person conducting the experiment.

2. What happens if I accidentally connect an ammeter in parallel?

If an ammeter is connected in parallel, it will create a low resistance path for the current to flow, causing a surge of current and potentially damaging the ammeter and other components in the circuit. It can also give inaccurate readings and pose a safety hazard.

3. Can I use an ammeter in parallel if I need to measure current in different branches of a circuit?

No, it is not recommended to use an ammeter in parallel even if you need to measure current in different branches of a circuit. Instead, you can use a multimeter with multiple ports to measure current in different branches simultaneously.

4. Is there ever a situation where it is safe to connect an ammeter in parallel?

No, it is never safe to connect an ammeter in parallel. This can cause a short circuit and potentially damage the ammeter and other components in the circuit. It is important to always follow proper procedures and use the correct equipment when conducting experiments.

5. How can I measure current accurately without connecting an ammeter in parallel?

To measure current accurately without connecting an ammeter in parallel, you can use a multimeter or a clamp meter. These devices have different ports that allow for measuring current in different branches of a circuit without causing a short circuit. It is important to select the correct setting and follow safety precautions when using these devices.