New Book from OReilly: Programming Quantum Computers

In summary, Programming Quantum Computers is a book that covers the basics of quantum computing and how to program them. It uses JavaScript as the programming language. The book is for programmers who are interested in the technology but not so much in the math and physics behind it.
OReilly published a new book, Programming Quantum Computers.

From my brief scan of it, the book looks pretty comprehensive. They use circle notation for the Qubit states and have a simulator (QCengine) to go along with the examples on github. The programming language for their algorithm descriptions is JavaScript.

The book focus is on programmers interested in the technology but not so much the math and physics behind it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1492039683/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes Filip Larsen, hmmm27, QuantumQuest and 2 others
Technology news on Phys.org
Javascript should be a perfect fit since you never know what the variables are anyway. :oldwink:

• Haha
Likes Filip Larsen, QuantumQuest, DEvens and 2 others
I am shocked that the cover isn't a cat. Or a half-faded cat.

• Haha
Likes phinds, QuantumQuest, Tom.G and 3 others
Maybe it changes after you read it.

• Haha
Likes phinds, Klystron, sysprog and 3 others
Holy moley, I didn't understand anything in that preview outside the intro pages lol. It's going to be a whole new world when quantum computing goes commercial.

Maybe not. I think itll be like using a math coprocessor like in the early day of the micro.

jedishrfu said:
Maybe not. I think itll be like using a math coprocessor like in the early day of the micro.
Blast from the past. That made me remember the Floating Point Systems add-on box we used in the late 70s. For the benefit of younger members, it was an external CPU that could do floating point calculations and array processing in the days when affordable CPUs did floating point with software.

Compare it to today's GPUs. Programming a GPU also sounds very alien.

Likes jedishrfu
Vanadium 50 said:
I am shocked that the cover isn't a cat. Or a half-faded cat.
Extract; page 271.
The animal on the cover of Programming Quantum Computers is the musky octopus (Eledone moschata), a sea creature found at depths of up to ¼ mile in the Mediterranean Sea and the coastal waters of western Europe.
While the musky octopus’s current conservation status is designated as of Least Concern, many of the animals on O’Reilly covers are endangered; all of them are important to the world.
The cover illustration is by Karen Montgomery, based on a black and white engraving from Dover’s Animals.

Likes anorlunda
Schrödinger's octopus :wink:

• Haha
Likes phinds
The octopus makes sense to represent quantum mechanics because once it creates its inky cloud as a predator approaches then you can’t know where it is exactly anymore.

Likes phinds and anorlunda
OK, Qbits driven machines that can solve problems that can take hundreds of years to solve and do it in ~2 weeks. Why isn't that the focus - that "is" the topic, not the cover.

heff001 said:
OK, Qbits driven machines that can solve problems that can take hundreds of years to solve and do it in ~2 weeks. Why isn't that the focus - that "is" the topic, not the cover.
They have the potential to do that, but first they must be correctly programmed. They are also capable of arriving at incorrect answers in record time if incorrectly programmed.

Quantum computing is not the topic, programming them is.

Likes heff001
One thing folks forget here is that the answer doesn’t just pop out of the QC after one run. It’s a statistical process where the program is rerun many times maybe hundreds of times and the answer with the most number of matches wins.

We can check the answer classically for some problems rather quickly but finding it classically via an exhaustive search would take forever. The traveling salesman problem is a good example of one such problem.

Last edited:
By "check" you mean check that the solution is valid, not that the solution is optimal, right?

jedishrfu said:
We can check the answer classically for some problems rather quickly
That's true, but the operative word is *some*. There will be other problems where we have no practical way to check the answers because checking by conventional computers won't work. If that is the case, then confidence in the programming may be the only evidence we have that the answers are correct.

We have not yet experienced quantum bugs.

That sounds like a ripe field for computer scientists. Correctness proofs for quantum programs.

Likes jedishrfu
Also there are many problems suited for a classical computer but could never be programmed on a quantum computer at least from what I've seen so far.

This is a lot like the parallel computing paradox where there are some problems that can't be parallelized but we keep searching for ways to do it.

1. What is the book "Programming Quantum Computers" about?

The book "Programming Quantum Computers" by O'Reilly is a comprehensive guide to understanding and programming quantum computers. It covers topics such as the basics of quantum mechanics, quantum programming languages, and real-world applications of quantum computing.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in quantum computing?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics of quantum mechanics and gradually introduces more complex concepts. It also includes hands-on exercises and examples to help readers understand and practice programming quantum computers.

3. What makes this book different from other books on quantum computing?

This book stands out from others because it focuses on practical applications of quantum computing rather than just theoretical concepts. It also uses a language-agnostic approach, making it accessible to a wider audience regardless of their programming background.

4. Can this book help me build my own quantum computer?

No, this book does not provide instructions on building a quantum computer. Instead, it teaches readers how to program and use existing quantum computers. It also covers the basics of quantum hardware, but it is not a guide for building one.

5. Is this book relevant to current advancements in quantum computing?

Yes, this book is up-to-date with the latest advancements in the field of quantum computing. It includes discussions on recent breakthroughs, as well as the challenges and future prospects of this rapidly evolving technology.