New car headlights -- Visual issues with oncoming cars

In summary: No.In summary, there is no evidence that these very bright headlights are harmful to the eye if you look at them for a few seconds.
kenny1999
In recent years, I found that many cars, I don't know if their headlamps are original or customized, the light is very bright or sharp, sometimes causing me to see temporary shadow in the eye like camera flash or even a little bit faint. In addition to yellow and white light there are also many different colors like violet, green etc...

Why I said "recent years" because maybe in 90s or even ten years ago, I didn't often see these very bright headlights in my city.

Could those light cause any problem to the eye if unavoidably looking at it for a few seconds?

I know that looking at sunlight or laser directly could cause eye damage within a few seconds, but otherwise than these two sources, could there be any other kind of light that could be as dangerous as sunlight and laser?

by the way, I remember that laser usually appears as a form of circular beam of lights in the dark for a good distance, so it is easy to detect laser and go away from it, but could laser appear as other form like other common lights? In that case, is the form of laser damaging?

Biology news on Phys.org
kenny1999 said:
Could those light cause any problem to the eye if unavoidably looking at it for a few seconds?
No.

kenny1999 said:
could there be any other kind of light that could be as dangerous as sunlight and laser?
You mean in the world? Yes.*

In the headlights? No.* eg: Lots of UV sterilizing devices, tanning beds and UV-hardened epoxies out there that are best used with goggles.

kenny1999 said:
by the way, I remember that laser usually appears as a form of circular beam of lights in the dark for a good distance, so it is easy to detect laser and go away from it, but could laser appear as other form like other common lights? In that case, is the form of laser damaging?
In raves and other dance venues, they shoot low power lasers at disco balls, which reflect the light all over the place. While this reflected light has laser light as its source, it is too weak and dispersed to be harmful.Also: Kenny? As in, my nephew Kenny?

Likes russ_watters
DaveC426913 said:
Also: Kenny? As in, my nephew Kenny?
Letterkenny.

kenny1999 said:
Only if that causes you to wander into the oncoming traffic or run off the road to the right (both would be bad, obviously, and my face may be the next one you see when you wake up after doing that...).

Please use the trick/technique that you were taught when you were a young student driver -- when approaching bright oncoming traffic headlights, focus your vision down to your right and sight the "fog line" edge of the road, or the stripes and "Botts dots" that separate your lane from the next same-travelling lane to your right.

You did learn that in your driver training, right? :wink:

Likes Jarvis323
kenny1999 said:
In addition to yellow and white light there are also many different colors like violet, green etc...
I notice that too.
Police car lights seem much brighter too.

Likes kenny1999
..., and youcan be developing cataracts.

berkeman said:
Only if that causes you to wander into the oncoming traffic or run off the road to the right (both would be bad, obviously, and my face may be the next one you see when you wake up after doing that...).

Please use the trick/technique that you were taught when you were a young student driver -- when approaching bright oncoming traffic headlights, focus your vision down to your right and sight the "fog line" edge of the road, or the stripes and "Botts dots" that separate your lane from the next same-travelling lane to your right.

You did learn that in your driver training, right? :wink:
There was no any mention at all about oncoming headlights and I seldom drive by the way

kenny1999 said:
There was no any mention at all about oncoming headlights and I seldom drive by the way
Oh, well if you are a pedestrian, why don't you just look away?
kenny1999 said:

berkeman said:
Oh, well if you are a pedestrian, why don't you just look away?
some situations for safety you can't look away immediately but only after a few seconds

1. What causes glare from oncoming car headlights?

The most common cause of glare from oncoming car headlights is the angle at which they are aimed. If the headlights are aimed too high, the light will shine directly into the eyes of drivers in oncoming vehicles. Other factors that can contribute to glare include dirty or foggy headlights, and the use of high-intensity discharge (HID) or LED headlights.

2. Are there any safety concerns with glare from oncoming car headlights?

Yes, glare from oncoming car headlights can be a safety concern for drivers. It can cause temporary blindness, making it difficult for drivers to see the road and other vehicles. This can increase the risk of accidents, especially in low light conditions or when driving at high speeds.

3. How can I reduce glare from oncoming car headlights?

There are a few ways to reduce glare from oncoming car headlights. One option is to adjust your own headlights to aim them slightly lower. You can also clean your headlights regularly to ensure they are not dirty or foggy. If you are driving at night, try to focus your gaze on the right side of the road to avoid looking directly at oncoming headlights.

4. Do newer car headlights cause more glare than older headlights?

Newer car headlights, such as HID and LED headlights, can produce more glare than older headlights. This is because they are often brighter and have a more focused beam of light. However, newer headlights also have features such as automatic dimming and adaptive lighting that can help reduce glare for oncoming drivers.

5. Can glare from oncoming car headlights be harmful to the eyes?

Glare from oncoming car headlights can cause temporary discomfort and vision impairment, but it is not considered harmful to the eyes. However, prolonged exposure to bright lights, including headlights, can cause eye fatigue and strain. It is important to take breaks from driving and rest your eyes if you are experiencing discomfort from glare.