New iMac Models Revealed - Thinner Design Now Available at Apple Store!

• Thread starter Mentalist
  • Start date
In summary, today Apple announced new iMac models with a thinner design. Some are wary of this design and would have preferred a chunkier design with more screen space. However, the new models have received positive reviews and many are satisfied with the 2011 model. The introduction of Thunderbolt, with a transfer rate of 10gbps, could potentially convince non-mac users to switch over. Some concerns about the thin design include durability and cooling. Apple's biggest strength in recent years has been dominating the supply chain, but their falling out with Samsung and continuing lawsuits may threaten this. Some believe Apple needs true innovation rather than just thinner, smaller, and faster products. However, with the current business climate and competition, it may be
Mentalist
Today was the announcement of the new iMac models hitting the apple store soon, and guess what? Thinner design! I personally am wary of this extremely thin design so I will hold out until I see some reviews. I honestly would have loved it if they kept with the chunky design and made more real-estate on the screen, but the new models don't look so bad. I am happy with the 27'' 2011 model though and it suits my needs.

http://www.apple.com/imac/

What are your thoughts?

Computer science news on Phys.org

I am a non mac user and i never really plan on moving to mac's although one thing that has jumped out at me is Thunderbolt, in terms of a transfer rate of 10gbps I am not sure how long it has been around but its the only thing that would make me change over to a mac as USB 3.0 is half the speed.

On the thin side of the track i would be afraid to break it, mind boggles me to think you could get a gtx690, i7,motherboard and ram all inside that small space, cooling would be my biggest issue/concern. i would have to wait for a few reviews, wait a few non-biast reviews.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apple needs a new true innovation. Thinner, smaller and faster is not exciting innovation.

Innovation is the least of Apple's problems right now. Their great strength in recent years has been in dominating the supply chain. Having the most innovative products does nobody any good if you can't actually make the things in volume and get them on the market before the competition. Unfortunately their falling out with supplier Samsung and continuing lawsuits against them is threatening their ability to do just that. Samsung is the only supplier with the ability to make the SoCs, displays, and flash Apple needs in anywhere near the quantities and quality they require.

Evidently Samsung decided years ago they'd be better off cutting the legs out from under Apple and taking over their markets. Notably this is all happening just as Microsoft also undercuts their own partners by producing tablets and Intel's partners scream foul over the outrageous pricing of their upcoming Haswell chips. It's just the normal business cycle where the existing 800lb gorillas suddenly turn in unison against everyone else to grab all the bananas for themselves and keep the competition from growing larger. Forget innovation, what Apples needs is nothing less than a technological tour de force and they just don't have that kind of research mojo that I know of to pull a rabbit out of their hat. Slight hand they can manage, a better mouse trap they can manage, but not the next computer revolution.

I am always excited to see advancements in technology and the new iMac models certainly seem to have some impressive features. The thinner design is a clear trend in the tech industry, and it is impressive to see Apple incorporating it into their new iMacs. However, I can understand your hesitation about the extremely thin design and the potential impact on the device's durability. It is always wise to wait for reviews and gather more information before making a purchasing decision.

I also agree that the 27'' 2011 model is still a great option for those who are satisfied with its performance and features. It is important to consider our individual needs and preferences when it comes to technology, and what may work for one person may not necessarily work for another.

Overall, I believe that the new iMac models offer exciting updates and improvements, but it is always important to carefully evaluate and consider our options before making a decision. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the new iMac models.

1. What are the new features of the latest iMac models?

The latest iMac models feature a thinner design, improved processors, better graphics performance, and higher-resolution displays.

2. Are all iMac models now available at the Apple Store?

Yes, all new iMac models are now available for purchase at the Apple Store.

3. Will the new iMac models be compatible with older software?

Yes, the new iMac models will be compatible with older software. However, some may require updates to fully take advantage of the new hardware capabilities.

4. How does the new iMac design differ from previous models?

The new iMac models have a significantly thinner design, with a thinner screen and reduced bezels. They also have a new cooling system that allows for better performance and a quieter operation.

5. Are there any trade-offs with the thinner design of the new iMac models?

The thinner design does not compromise on performance. In fact, the new iMac models have improved processors and graphics performance compared to previous models. The only potential trade-off may be limited upgradability, as the thinner design may make it more difficult to upgrade certain components.