New Kind of Ad? Investigating Links on PhysicsForums

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a member noticing links in their posts when they are browsing as a guest on the forum. They did a test post and found that the links only appear when they are logged out. Other members also confirmed seeing the links when they are logged out, and it appears to be a feature of the forum's "showpost" file for guest users. One member jokes about getting the links when grappling with a forum feature.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A while back I was on PF from a public computer. I didn't want to sign in on that machine, so I was browsing as a "guest".

I noticed something odd. In one of Evo's posts (I can't find it now), the letters "dell" were in a word, and they were linked to dell dot com. I thought, hmm that's odd.

Today I noticed the same thing, but with "apple".

So I did a test. I made a post with "dell" and "apple" in words and alone. When I'm signed in it looks just like I intended.

But when I sign out and look at it, "dell" and "apple" are links. I didn't put the links there.

Here's my test post. Does anyone else see links when they view it as a guest?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3922650&postcount=15463

Is it a problem, or a new kind of ad?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lisab is spamming :eek: BAN HER!

I see the links when I'm logged out, but not when I'm logged in.

micromass said:
Lisab is spamming :eek: BAN HER!

I see the links when I'm logged out, but not when I'm logged in.

:tongue2:

Yes that's when I see them, too, when I'm logged out. Seems weird to me!

Here's my test post. Does anyone else see links when they view it as a guest?
All our posts are considered as "google ad". :confused:
The linking happens when "showpost" file is generated for guest user.

Attachments

• chrome.jpg
    chrome.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 456
  • chrome2.jpg
    chrome2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 416
I get it too when I grapple with your modeller.
lol.

1. What is a "New Kind of Ad"?

A "New Kind of Ad" refers to a type of advertisement that is different from traditional forms of advertising. It often utilizes innovative technologies or strategies to attract and engage potential customers.

2. How does the "New Kind of Ad" work?

The specifics of how a "New Kind of Ad" works will depend on the specific ad and its goals. However, some common elements in these ads may include interactive features, personalized content, or data-driven targeting methods.

3. What makes a "New Kind of Ad" different from traditional ads?

The main difference between a "New Kind of Ad" and traditional ads is the use of new technologies and techniques. Traditional ads typically rely on one-way communication and static content, while "New Kind of Ads" often involve two-way interactions and dynamic content.

4. Is there any evidence that "New Kind of Ads" are more effective?

There have been various studies and reports that suggest that "New Kind of Ads" can be more effective in terms of engagement, click-through rates, and conversions compared to traditional ads. However, the effectiveness of any ad will depend on the specific goals and target audience.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding "New Kind of Ads"?

As with any form of advertising, there may be ethical concerns surrounding the use of "New Kind of Ads". For instance, data privacy and manipulation of user behavior are some potential issues that may arise. It is important for advertisers to be transparent and ethical in their practices when using "New Kind of Ads".