All hyperlinks suddenly blocked in Word

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where all links, even harmless ones, are being blocked in a Word document. The issue is due to Microsoft's new feature that blocks malicious links, but is also blocking non-malicious ones. The solution proposed is to turn off the Microsoft Firewall, although there is concern about the increased risk. Another suggestion is to stop using Microsoft products altogether or turn off automatic updates. The conversation ends with a comment about the frustration with Microsoft's policies.
nomadreid
Gold Member
Recently, a problem has appeared that I never had had on my computer. Take a link, no matter how harmless (http or https), and put it into a Word document (Microsoft Office Word 2007, running on a PC with Windows 10). It appears in blue and underlined, as usual. Now put the cursor on it, press Ctrl and click: until recently the link appeared in a browser. But now I get a message saying "The operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer." Take the same link and put it in the address window in a browser, and the site comes up, no problem. So it would not be an ad-blocker or anti-virus function, I believe. Between when the function Wordlink-Ctrl-Click worked and when it didn't work, no new programs were added or subtracted from the computer. I am not sure how to even start looking into the problem. (Note that I am not a programmer, so that I cannot delve into the underlying programming of Word.) Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Interesting. I am fine with malicious links being blocked. But ALL links, no matter how innocuous, are being blocked! I have tried it on a number of sites that are guaranteed non-malicious. It isn't letting anything through!

OK, I have found the place in the computer where I can turn on/off the Firewall. It seems that it is a "white list": that is, it simply blocks all sites that are not on Microsoft's list. I guess there are sites that Microsoft will let through, but I haven't found them. (It won't even let the BBC through !) So the Firewall is throwing the baby out with the bath water. Therefore I am tempted to simply turn off the Firewall altogether. I have anti-virus and ad-blocker programs in place, and occasionally scan for malicious sites, so what would you judge the increased risk to be if I just turn off the Microsoft Firewall?
I might add that the sites that Word will be blocking from access from Word/Excel documents will end up being opened up on my computer anyway, since, as I know now that Microsoft is not really blacklisting malicious sites in particular, I cannot take the block as a sign that the site as malicious, and will just cut-and-paste the link into my browser in order to open it.

Last edited:
nomadreid said:
OK, I have found the place in the computer where I can turn on/off the Firewall. It seems that it is a "white list": that is, it simply blocks all sites that are not on Microsoft's list. I guess there are sites that Microsoft will let through, but I haven't found them. (It won't even let the BBC through !) So the Firewall is throwing the baby out with the bath water. Therefore I am tempted to simply turn off the Firewall altogether. I have anti-virus and ad-blocker programs in place, and occasionally scan for malicious sites, so what would you judge the increased risk to be if I just turn off the Microsoft Firewall?
I might add that the sites that Word will be blocking from access from Word/Excel documents will end up being opened up on my computer anyway, since, as I know now that Microsoft is not really blacklisting malicious sites in particular, I cannot take the block as a sign that the site as malicious, and will just cut-and-paste the link into my browser in order to open it.
Microsoft is SUCH fun, and so caring about their users' ability to get things done.

Likes nomadreid
There's a simple answer. Stop using Microsoft products.

phinds said:
Microsoft is SUCH fun, and so caring about their users' ability to get things done.
phyzguy said:
There's a simple answer. Stop using Microsoft products.

An even simpler answer, with an even shorter learning curve: TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES!
IMHO they are the biggest pain in the ... that anyone has ever come up with. (at least in software.:wink:)

Tom.G said:
An even simpler answer, with an even shorter learning curve: TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES!
That does nothing about the obnoxious junk that windows 10 comes packed with

Likes Tom.G
jedishrfu said:
MS advertised this feature a few months ago.

Well it's better than their old policy of always allowing everything automatically.

BoB

1. Why have all hyperlinks in my Word document suddenly been blocked?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a recent update to your Word software, a change in your computer's security settings, or a problem with your internet connection. It's important to troubleshoot and identify the specific cause in order to find a solution.

2. How can I unblock the hyperlinks in my Word document?

The solution will depend on the cause of the issue. If it is due to a recent update, you may need to adjust your settings to allow hyperlinks. If it is a security setting, you may need to change your security preferences. If the issue is with your internet connection, you may need to troubleshoot your network or contact your internet provider.

3. Can I prevent hyperlinks from being blocked in the future?

Yes, you can take precautionary measures to prevent hyperlinks from being blocked in the future. This includes regularly updating your software, adjusting your security settings, and ensuring a stable internet connection.

4. Will unblocking hyperlinks put my computer at risk?

If the hyperlinks are from a trusted source, unblocking them should not put your computer at risk. However, it's always important to exercise caution when clicking on any links, as they may lead to malicious websites.

5. Is there a way to unblock all hyperlinks at once instead of individually?

Unfortunately, there is no universal solution for unblocking all hyperlinks at once in Word. You may need to unblock them individually or use a macro tool to automate the process. It's important to evaluate the safety and source of each hyperlink before unblocking them in bulk.