New realizations or "what I think I learned today"

• Thread starter Planobilly
  • Start date
In summary: There should be FFT in something that you own already. That Rockland is a wonderful analog instrument if you can find one. The LM359 filter is a great design but with my high Q(around 70) bandpass the board layout became important, just like in your amps. First one was on verge of oscillation.
Planobilly
Hi Guys,
As you all know, I have been trying to learn to build excellent guitar amps. Most of my failures have been related to various amounts of hum/hiss and noises in the amps.

The Fender style Deluxe Reverb AB763 circuit I built is finally working just about perfect now. I had a lot of advice from many sources, people, books, the internet. I listen to all that and never got to where I was satisfied with the results.

At the end of the day I implemented my own ideas concerning grounding schemes which finally worked. With all the controls turned up all the way you can only tell if the amp is on by looking at the pilot light. Zero noise, zero hum/hiss. I now have clean clear undistorted sound when I want it and both preamp and output tube distortion when I want it. Man what a pain in the butt learning curve.

To get to that point, I had to disregard the type of components and methods used in the old amps of the sixties and stop repeating the mistakes of a bygone era. I had to stop listening to the nonsense that so many guitar players are so dearly attached too and I include myself in that group...lol

Electronics as far as guitar amps go is extremely unforgiving. I guess all electronics is. Everything has to be dead on. One bad solder joint, one out of value component, one wire 10mm to close to the next and the whole thing just does not function correctly.

I am beginning to think the best thing is to learn everything you can from every source there is and take all information with a grain of salt. Don't assume that the world famous designer is always correct or not. Don't assume anything. Use your own brain and work like hell till you get the results you are looking for.

For the last few weeks I have had some significant self doubts about my ability to learn this stuff. If I live long enough I may just get there...lol

Cheers,

Billy

Likes jim hardy, dlgoff and Prehistorik Watcher
Engineering news on Phys.org
Bill

Planobilly said:
Use your own brain and work like hell till you get the results you are looking for.

Your adventures are proof positive that we learn 10X more by doing than by reading about doing. Recall Melville's "Consumptive Usher" .

Congratulations on your success .

Thanks Jim,

It was a "small" brick in the road to success. The larger success was a greater degree of self confidence. Fear of failure, self doubts, concern for what other people may think, to much need for acceptance, all combine to essentially guarantee failure. Emotional state has a large part to play in anyone succeeding or failing at anything.

Thank you so much for all the help and encouragement you have provided to me.

Cheers,

Billy

Planobilly said:
It was a "small" brick in the road to success. The larger success was a greater degree of self confidence. Fear of failure, self doubts, concern for what other people may think, to much need for acceptance, all combine to essentially guarantee failure. Emotional state has a large part to play in anyone succeeding or failing at anything.

One of the pleasures of aging - accepting that those fears are natural and trudging through them.

I still to tell myself "No way out but through... my best is usually good enough , and i'll get better as i go.

Progress not perfection.

There should be FFT in something that you own already. That Rockland is a wonderful analog instrument if you can find one.

That LM359 filter is a great design but with my high Q(around 70) bandpass the board layout became important, just like in your amps. First one was on verge of oscillation.

old jim

1. What is the process of realizing something new in science?

The process of realizing something new in science involves conducting research, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on evidence. Scientists may also use tools such as experiments, simulations, and observations to support their new realizations.

2. How do scientists determine the validity of their new realizations?

Scientists determine the validity of their new realizations by following the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, testing the hypothesis, and analyzing the results. They also use peer review, where other scientists in the same field review and critique their findings.

3. What role do experiments play in new realizations?

Experiments play a crucial role in new realizations as they allow scientists to test their hypotheses and gather data to support their findings. Experiments also help to control variables and eliminate biases, ensuring more accurate and reliable results.

4. Can new realizations change the current understanding of a scientific concept?

Yes, new realizations can change the current understanding of a scientific concept. As scientists continue to conduct research and gather new evidence, they may discover new information that challenges or alters previous theories or explanations.

5. How do scientists share their new realizations with the scientific community and the public?

Scientists share their new realizations through various means, including publishing their findings in scientific journals, presenting at conferences and seminars, and using social media to communicate with the public. They also collaborate and discuss their findings with other scientists in their field to further validate their new realizations.