Photo of the new amp in the case

• Thread starter Planobilly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amp Photo
In summary, the speaker and reverb issues have been resolved and the amp is producing a small amount of hum/hiss at high volumes. The builder reflects on the learning process and acknowledges the complexity of amp building. Another individual shares their experience building a toy amphibious vehicle and the use of duct tape. They also mention starting a 5E3 Deluxe clone and offer a tip for finding a specific resistor.
Planobilly
Hi Guys,

This was my first attempt at trying to make a case and covering it. I made a few mistakes and learned a good bit about the process. I think I learned enough to do a good job on the next one. Education is never cheap...lol

The amp is basically a AB763 with a few mods. The current speakers are two Celestion vintage G12M from the 1980s. I ordered Weber D12 and also Weber NeoMag to experiment with. The NeoMag is Weber's take on a JBL D120F. They should be here is a week or two.

The reverb is still producing more noise when it is turned up than I am happy with. Other than that the amp only starts to produce a very small amount of hum/hiss when the volume is turned up past 90%. I am not sure just how to reduce the reverb noise.

yQXA84l.jpg

I had no idea when I started these amp building projects how many hard to acquire skills sets were involved. I think lack of precise planning has caused the greatest number of issues. We live in a world of specialization. Perhaps my attempts to "do it all" myself is a very steep mountain to climb.

Cheers,

Billy

Likes dlgoff, berkeman and Greg Bernhardt
Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks like your case came out nice and I;m sure you'll figure out the electronics issue too.

Its not so much learning new skills as we often know what to do but gloss over the details. Once when I was a preteen, I built a toy amphibious vehicle out of plywood. It was small around 6" or so, but it never occurred to me that when cutting the wood for the front and base that I needed to factor in the thickness of the wood and bevel intersecting edges. Consequently I had a boat with a hole as long as the seam between the two pieces that I had to use some putty to cover it up and no more plywood to cut new pieces from.

Nowadays duct tape would have solved the problem and looked cool too.

LOL...being a "redneck" from Texas I fully appreciate the use of duct tape. I my case, even duct tape won't fix stupid...lol

Looks very nice. Well done.

I am about to start on a 5E3 Deluxe clone. It is my first kit and I bought a pre-loaded turret board to reduce the opportunity for cock-ups. It is going in a Laney AOR30 shell so I already have the transformers and 6V6 output valves. Sounds easy...

Bandit127 said:
Looks very nice. Well done.

I am about to start on a 5E3 Deluxe clone. It is my first kit and I bought a pre-loaded turret board to reduce the opportunity for cock-ups. It is going in a Laney AOR30 shell so I already have the transformers and 6V6 output valves. Sounds easy...

The 5E3 is fun to build. It is a bit tight inside the chassis. Try to find a 3 watt 5000 ohm dropping resistor. The ones that come in kits are sometimes only 2 watts. The original Fender schematics showed a 5 watt.

Cheers,

Billy

1. What is a photo of the new amp in the case?

A photo of the new amp in the case is a visual representation of a recently acquired amplifier that is stored or transported in a protective container.

2. Why is a photo of the new amp in the case important?

A photo of the new amp in the case is important for documentation and reference purposes. It can also serve as proof of ownership and condition in case of damage or theft.

3. How can I take a good photo of the new amp in the case?

To take a good photo of the new amp in the case, make sure the lighting is adequate and the amp is positioned in a way that highlights its features. Avoid any glare or reflections on the case or amp.

4. Can I use this photo for commercial purposes?

It is best to check with the owner of the amp and case before using the photo for commercial purposes. If you took the photo yourself, you have the right to use it for non-commercial purposes.

5. How can I protect my amp while transporting it in the case?

To protect your amp while transporting it in the case, make sure it is securely fastened and padded to prevent any damage from bumps or falls. It is also a good idea to use a case with a hard exterior for added protection.