Was a New Supernova Discovered in the Galaxy Centaurus A?

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supernova
In summary: I think this new supernova is definitely worth following up on. I'll make some more observations and post an update later this week.In summary, a new supernova was discovered last Sunday in the galaxy, Centaurus A radio galaxy (NGC5128). The star at 6 o'clock position in the image below is the faint object. It is currently around a 14th magnitude object. There may be a relation between this new discovery and the Rev. Robert Evans of NSW, Australia being at the top of the list of those people who are responsible for the discovery of the first known supernova in Australia.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
hi gang

@russ_watters
@Drakkith
@Andy Resnick

meant to post this last week, been really busy
A new supernova was discovered last Sunday, 7 Feb 2016 in the galaxy, Centaurus A radio galaxy (NGC5128). Currently it is around a 14th magnitude object

a couple of pix from fellow Australian amateur astronomer friends who were pretty much the first to publicise this event

in this image it is the faint star at 6 o'clock position ( below the brighter foreground star)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12717368_944180858982445_3261868702856250836_n.jpg?oh=d82d173e72e8696fcc56d89a673bc6a8&oe=572A4FC4&__gda__=1462410926_7f64579133012dcaa57b79b09a25750b
Credit - Mark Sansom, Heathcote, Victoria, Australia
His comments ...
It seems I may have inadvertently made a prediscovery of a possible Supernova in NGC 5128 on Saturday night. 20x15sec CPC11 at f6 Canon 6D ISO6400. Cropped. 7th February 13:15 UTC

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xtp1/t31.0-8/12694716_887319964698650_441417299344063871_o.jpg
Credit - John McConnell, Coonabarabran, NSW, AustraliaI tried imaging it on Saturday night 13th Feb, but the 400mm telephoto lens was a little underpowered
I had to use a good amount of imagination to convince myself that I captured itcheers
Dave

Last edited:
Likes Borg, Greg Bernhardt, Fervent Freyja and 1 other person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Cool!

It still amazes me the amateurs still have a chance at new discoveries in Astronomy with all the high powered telescopes now operating in the world today.

Likes davenn
jedishrfu said:
Cool!

It still amazes me the amateurs still have a chance at new discoveries in Astronomy with all the high powered telescopes now operating in the world today.

I think probably relates to the fact that the big observatories are primarily doing dedicated research on specific objects
where as amateurs are scanning the skies in general and are more likely to discover such things
specially for a small dedicated group of amateurs that do continuous methodical sweeps of a large number of galaxies looking for supernovae

The Rev. Robert Evans of NSW, Australia being at the top of the list of those peopleDave

1. What is a supernova?

A supernova is an extremely powerful and luminous explosion that occurs when a massive star reaches the end of its life and collapses in on itself. This explosion releases an enormous amount of energy and can briefly outshine an entire galaxy.

2. How are supernovae discovered?

Supernovae are typically discovered through telescopes that are specifically designed to look for changes in the night sky. These telescopes take images of the same area of the sky over a period of time and then compare them to look for any new, bright objects that have appeared.

3. What makes this new supernova special?

This new supernova may be special because it could be a rare type of supernova, such as a Type Ia supernova which is caused by the explosion of a white dwarf star. It could also be located in a unique area of the sky or be exceptionally bright.

4. How can studying supernovae help us understand the universe?

Studying supernovae can help us understand the universe in a number of ways. They can provide valuable information about the life cycle of stars, the formation of galaxies, and the expansion of the universe. They can also help us better understand the elements that make up our universe and how they are created in these explosive events.

5. Is there any danger to Earth from this new supernova?

No, there is no danger to Earth from this new supernova. It is located too far away from our planet and the energy released from the explosion will dissipate before reaching us. However, if a supernova were to occur within a certain distance from Earth, it could potentially have harmful effects on our planet's atmosphere.

Back