Newtonian Mechanics: simultaneous equations

In summary, the block S with mass 3.3 kg moves to the right with an acceleration of -0.79 m/s2 when the hanging block H with mass 2.1 kg falls with an acceleration of 0.79 m/s2.
Medtner

Homework Statement

Figure 5-12 shows a block S (the sliding block) with mass
M 3.3 kg. The block is free to move along a horizontal
frictionless surface and connected, by a cord that wraps over
a frictionless pulley, to a second block H (the hanging
block), with mass m 2.1 kg. The cord and pulley have neg-
ligible masses compared to the blocks (they are “massless”).
The hanging block H falls as the sliding block S accelerates
to the right. Find (a) the acceleration of block S, (b) the ac-
celeration of block H, and (c) the tension in the cord.

Homework Equations

Block S:
Tx=ma (on the X axis)

Block H:

T-mg=-ma (y axis)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the theory and question, my problem lies with my math skills. Because of the two unknown variables you can solve them simultaneously, however the sample problem assumes I remember how to do it!

I want to understand how you can mathematically go from the two equations on top to a=(m/M+m)g on the y axis.
Thank you for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
To avoid confusion you need to use M and m in your relevant equations.
Also note that what you've called Tx is equal to what you've called T (and of course a is the same also) so you can plug one equation into the other and solve for a.

After playing around with the equations I got it. Thanks for the help! I should pay more attention to the variables. :D

I ended up going like:
T-mg=-ma -----> T=-ma+mg
T=Ma -----> (plug in eqquation number 1) -ma+mg=Ma ----->Ma+ma=mg------->a(M+m)=mg----->a=mg/M+m

Would this set up be okay?

That looks right. Good work.

Related to Newtonian Mechanics: simultaneous equations

1. What is Newtonian Mechanics and how does it relate to simultaneous equations?

Newtonian Mechanics is a branch of classical physics that describes the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It is based on Sir Isaac Newton's three laws of motion. Simultaneous equations are a mathematical tool used in Newtonian Mechanics to solve for multiple unknown variables in a system.

2. How are simultaneous equations used in Newton's second law?

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Simultaneous equations can be used to solve for the unknown acceleration and net force in a system, given the mass and other known variables.

3. Can simultaneous equations be used to solve for more than two unknowns in Newtonian Mechanics?

Yes, simultaneous equations can be used to solve for multiple unknown variables in a system, as long as there are an equal number of equations and unknowns. This can be helpful in more complex systems where multiple forces and accelerations are involved.

4. Are there any limitations to using simultaneous equations in Newtonian Mechanics?

One limitation is that simultaneous equations can only be used in systems with constant forces and constant mass. Non-constant forces or varying mass would require more advanced mathematical methods to solve for the unknown variables.

5. Can simultaneous equations be used in all areas of physics, or just in Newtonian Mechanics?

Simultaneous equations can be used in other areas of physics as well, such as electromagnetism and thermodynamics. However, they are most commonly used in Newtonian Mechanics due to its focus on motion and forces.