Newton's 3rd law and ether in space

In summary, according to Newton's 3rd law, the mass of the space between objects should be 0, which means that ether does not actually exist. This is supported by the fact that electromagnetic energy, which is stored in space, does not affect the conservation of energy and momentum in a system. However, there may be differing opinions on the reliability of the source provided.
appot89
TL;DR Summary
Hey everyone,

I've read in an article that newton's 3rd law proves that there is no ether in space. Why is that?
Hey everyone,

I've read in an article that Newton's 3rd law proves that there is no ether in space. It says, according to Newton's 3rd law, the mass of the space between objects should be 0; then, ether does not actually exist.
Could you please explain to me why Newton's 3rd law imply that the mass of ether should be zero?
https://lockhaven.edu/~dsimanek/cutting/3rdlaw.htm (please check number 6)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
appot89 said:
the mass of the space between objects should be 0;

Electromagnetic energy is stored in space as (ED+BH)/2. I have not heard of its influence to the Newton's third law though we live in the world of electromagnetic technology, e.g. wifi. In this case electromagnetic energy and momentum should be included into account of their conservations in system, of course.

Likes Delta2
appot89 said:
Summary:: Hey everyone,

I've read in an article that Newton's 3rd law proves that there is no ether in space. Why is that?

Hey everyone,

I've read in an article that Newton's 3rd law proves that there is no ether in space. It says, according to Newton's 3rd law, the mass of the space between objects should be 0; then, ether does not actually exist.
Could you please explain to me why Newton's 3rd law imply that the mass of ether should be zero?
https://lockhaven.edu/~dsimanek/cutting/3rdlaw.htm (please check number 6)
I think that webpage is not very good at all. I would ignore what it says.

Likes Ibix
Agreed. I find the page highly questionable.

Edit: The rest of the site seems to be okay, so I would take a further look before casting judgment on the whole site. But I only did a quick peruse, not an in-depth look.

Likes Ibix, Delta2 and PeroK

1. What is Newton's 3rd law?

Newton's 3rd law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. How does Newton's 3rd law apply to space?

In space, Newton's 3rd law still applies. Objects in space still exert forces on each other, and these forces are always equal and opposite. For example, when a spacecraft fires its thrusters, the exhaust gases push against the spacecraft, causing it to move in the opposite direction.

3. What is the role of ether in Newton's 3rd law?

Ether was a concept proposed in the 19th century to explain the propagation of light. However, it has since been disproven and is no longer a part of modern physics. Therefore, ether does not play a role in Newton's 3rd law or any other laws of physics.

4. Can Newton's 3rd law be violated in space?

No, Newton's 3rd law cannot be violated in space. This law is a fundamental principle of physics and has been observed and tested countless times. Any apparent violations of this law are due to external forces, such as air resistance or friction, that are not taken into account.

5. How does Newton's 3rd law affect the movement of objects in space?

Newton's 3rd law plays a crucial role in determining the movement of objects in space. It explains how forces act on objects and how these forces affect the motion of an object. Without this law, we would not be able to accurately predict the movement of objects in space.