Newton's Law and Frictional Forces

In summary: I guess? In summary, the forces acting on Magnet A include the magnetic pull and the force of gravity. The forces acting on Magnet B include the force caused by the magnetic field and the force of gravity. The magnetic field created by the two magnets generates a long-range magnetic force on each of the magnets causing the attraction between them. There are no action/reaction pairs because there is no acceleration involved with either of the objects.
victorc
These are two word problems, so I don't think the template applies to this thread.

1. Two strong magnets are on opposite sides of a tabletop's surface so that the attraction between the magnets is all that is holding up the one underneath. Identify all forces which involve either magnet (either as the agent or the object being acted upon), and all associated action/ reaction pairs completely. Number each pair.

My attempt at this question:
The forces on the magnet above the table include the magnetic pull by the other magnet (pointing down) [as well as the force of gravity (pointing down) and the normal force exerted by the table (upwards)]. The forces on the magnet below the table include the force caused by the magnetic field (upwards) [as well as the force of gravity (downwards)]. The magnetic field created by the two magnets generates a long-range magnetic force on each of the magnets causing the attraction between them.
There are no action/reaction pairs because there is no acceleration involved with either of the objects.

2. Two blocks, A and B, are hanging from opposite ends of a massless string which runs over a massless frictionless pulley. The mass of block A is greater than that of block B. Rank, from largest to smallest, all of the forces acting on either block. (Don't bother to include in this ranking the forces acting on the string.) Put your answer in the usual form: X > Y = Z. Explain why you ranked each force in order.

Forces acting on block B (from largest to smallest):
1. Upwards force caused by tension of the string.
2. Downwards force of gravity (weight).

Forces acting on block A (from largest to smallest):
1. Downwards force of gravity (weight).
2. Upwards force caused by tension of the string.

ps:. I don't understand what the question means with "Put your answer in the usual form: X > Y = Z."

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
victorc said:
These are two word problems, so I don't think the template applies to this thread.

1. Two strong magnets are on opposite sides of a tabletop's surface so that the attraction between the magnets is all that is holding up the one underneath. Identify all forces which involve either magnet (either as the agent or the object being acted upon), and all associated action/ reaction pairs completely. Number each pair.

The forces on the magnet above the table include the magnetic pull by the other magnet (pointing down) [as well as the force of gravity (pointing down) and the normal force exerted by the table (upwards)].
Very Good.
victorc said:
The forces on the magnet below the table include the force caused by the magnetic field (upwards) [as well as the force of gravity (downwards)].
Good.
victorc said:
The magnetic field created by the two magnets generates a long-range magnetic force on each of the magnets causing the attraction between them.
True, but I'm not sure how this relates to the problem. (Maybe I'm missing something.)
victorc said:
There are no action/reaction pairs because there is no acceleration involved with either of the objects.
Not true. Don't forget Newton's third law (For every force [action] there is an equal and opposite force [reaction]). You've listed three (action) forces in the first part and two in the second.
victorc said:
2. Two blocks, A and B, are hanging from opposite ends of a massless string which runs over a massless frictionless pulley. The mass of block A is greater than that of block B. Rank, from largest to smallest, all of the forces acting on either block. (Don't bother to include in this ranking the forces acting on the string.) Put your answer in the usual form: X > Y = Z. Explain why you ranked each force in order.

Forces acting on block B (from largest to smallest):
True. However, you didn't say why. Hint: [tex]m_{A} > m_{B} \wedge a_{A} = a_{B}[/tex]
victorc said:
True. Some note as before.
victorc said:
ps:. I don't understand what the question means with "Put your answer in the usual form: X > Y = Z."
I think they are asking for something like

[tex]F_{A} > F_{B} \wedge \frac{1}{2 T}=\frac{1}{F_{A}} + \frac{1}{F_{B}}[/tex]

You might want to look at the end of
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/301/lectures/node48.html"
where there is a comment about "Atwood's machine".
Also look at
http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~broholm/l8/node3.html"
victorc said:
Thanks in advance
No problem.

73s and clear skies.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, thank you so much for the reply!

kg4pae said:
Not true. Don't forget Newton's third law (For every force [action] there is an equal and opposite force [reaction]). You've listed three (action) forces in the first part and two in the second.

I identified the magnet above the table as Magnet A, and the one below the table as Magnet B. This is what I added to my response:

"The action/reaction pairs are listed below:
1. Magnetic pull by Magnet A on Magnet B AND magnetic pull by Magnet B on Magnet A.
2/3. Force of gravity on Magnet A/B AND Magnet A/B attracting the Earth.
4. Normal force (normal from table's surface) acting on Magnet A AND gravitational pull on Magnet A." (I'm not sure about this, as action/reaction forces are not on the same body. However, I felt a need to include the normal to Magnet A and gravity was the only force that I reasoned to oppose the normal)

Is there a normal acting on Magnet B?

kg4pae said:
True. However, you didn't say why. Hint: [tex]m_{A} > m_{B} \wedge a_{A} = a_{B}[/tex]

I don't think I understand you hint... perhaps because I don't know what the wedge sign means exactly. Well, this is my revised answer:

"Forces acting on block B (from largest to smallest):
The downwards force of gravity must be smaller than the upwards force of the string because block B moves upwards (it has less mass and F_gravity = mass x a_gravity)

The downwards force of gravity must be greater than the upwards force of the string because block A falls (since it has more mass and F = ma)"

kg4pae said:
I think they are asking for something like

[tex]F_{A} > F_{B} \wedge \frac{1}{2 T}=\frac{1}{F_{A}} + \frac{1}{F_{B}}[/tex]

Oh... I still don't get what the wedge (^) sign means. Is it related to wedge products in exterior algebra?
I first thought the so called "usual form" to be an inequality, X and Y being either gravity or the tension of the string, depending on the block. However, following this reasoning, I don't know what Z would be.

kg4pae said:
You might want to look at the end of
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/301/lectures/node48.html"
where there is a comment about "Atwood's machine".
Also look at
http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~broholm/l8/node3.html"

The website was useful to get a broader understanding of the situation, as well as an interesting bit of historical information.

I truly appreciate your time and effort

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Newton's Law and Frictional Forces

1. How do Newton's Laws of Motion relate to frictional forces?

According to Newton's Laws of Motion, an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of frictional forces, these external forces oppose the motion of an object, causing it to slow down or stop.

2. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from moving when they are in contact but not sliding against each other. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces sliding against each other. Static friction is typically stronger than kinetic friction.

3. How does the coefficient of friction affect the force of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the roughness or smoothness of two surfaces in contact. The higher the coefficient of friction, the greater the force of friction between the surfaces. This means that rougher surfaces will have a higher coefficient of friction and experience a greater force of friction.

4. Can frictional forces be beneficial?

Yes, frictional forces can be beneficial in certain situations. For example, friction between our shoes and the ground allows us to walk without slipping. Friction is also necessary for many machines and vehicles to function properly, such as car brakes or the grip of tires on the road.

5. How can we reduce frictional forces?

There are a few ways to reduce frictional forces. One way is to use lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a layer between two surfaces and reduce the amount of direct contact. Another way is to make surfaces smoother, thereby reducing the coefficient of friction. In some cases, reducing the weight or force pushing down on two surfaces can also reduce frictional forces.