Newton's Law: block and incline

In summary, the author of this problem might have intended you to use 0.80 and 0.60 for the cosine and sine, but since their approximation is close to 4/5 and 3/5 respectively, 16.8 N is an approximate answer.
Fatima Hasan

Homework Statement

Snapshot.png

Homework Equations

Fs= μs*N
ΣF=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Snapshot_2.png
[/B]

Attachments

• Snapshot.png
    Snapshot.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 735
  • Snapshot_2.png
    Snapshot_2.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 783
Physics news on Phys.org
What is your question?

Also, be advised that simply posting images of your work and of the problem is not compatible with the Homework guidelines of Physics Forums. Please type out the problem statement and your solution attempt in the future.

Orodruin said:
What is your question?

Also, be advised that simply posting images of your work and of the problem is not compatible with the Homework guidelines of Physics Forums. Please type out the problem statement and your solution attempt in the future.
thanks,
but question is that my answer is not an exact of choice C. so is my answer right?
sorry but my skills are not good to write math formula

Hello.

I believe your final answer is correct. But it looks like you might have gotten lucky by having two compensating errors. Think about the direction of the friction force when the applied force is a minimum.

Fatima Hasan said:
but question is that my answer is not an exact of choice C. so is my answer right?
It is close enough to one of the answers to suspect that you (or the authors) have a rounding error somewhere.

Fatima Hasan said:
sorry but my skills are not good to write math formula
Really the formulas here are so simple that you should have no problem typing them out. If you click the Σ symbol you also have a choice of different useful symbols for writing maths. You do not need to use LaTeX for formulas that are this simple.
TSny said:
Hello.

I believe your final answer is correct. But it looks like you might have gotten lucky by having two compensating errors. Think about the direction of the friction force when the applied force is a minimum.
By writing ##F = mg \sin(\theta) + F_s##, you are essentially writing "forces to the right = forces to the left". It is kind of artificially taking care of the signs by specifying all forces as positive and then placing them on the appropriate side of the equation. If I did not enter it wrong in Matlab, 16.9 N is the correct rounding of the answer, not 16.8 N.

Fatima Hasan said:
thanks,
Some instructors like to use 37o in problems since the cosine and sine of this angle are very close to 4/5 = 0.80 and 3/5 = 0.60, respectively. (A "3 -4 -5" right triangle will have its smaller interior angle close to 37o.)

So, the author of this problem might have intended you to use 0.80 and 0.60 for the cosine and sine. See if that gives you an answer of 16.8.

Edit: When I was a student ages ago, we didn't have calculators. So it was more common in those days to use these approximations when working with a 37o angle.

Likes Orodruin
Collecting all of your results symbolically, you would obtain
$$
F = [60~\mbox{N}] \sin(\theta) - 0.4\cdot [60~\mbox{N}] \cos(\theta).
$$
In comparison to the approximation mentioned by @TSny, ##\sin(37^\circ)## is slightly larger than ##3/5## and ##\cos(37^\circ)## is slightly smaller than 4/5. This indeed accounts for the difference.

Textbook authors should know better than to use more decimals than their precision allows.

Orodruin said:
Textbook authors should know better than to use more decimals than their precision allows.
Yes.

So let me correct this:
Orodruin said:
It is close enough to one of the answers to suspect that you (or the authors) have a rounding error somewhere.
:rolleyes:

What is Newton's Law: block and incline?

Newton's Law: block and incline is a physical principle that explains the relationship between the force applied on an object and its resulting motion when the object is placed on an inclined plane.

What are the three laws of motion that make up Newton's Law: block and incline?

The three laws of motion that make up Newton's Law: block and incline are:

• First Law: An object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.
  • Second Law: The acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.
  • Third Law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How does Newton's Law: block and incline apply to objects on an inclined plane?

When an object is placed on an inclined plane, the force of gravity pulling the object downwards can be broken down into two components: a force parallel to the plane and a force perpendicular to the plane. According to Newton's Second Law, the acceleration of the object will be in the direction of the net force, which in this case is the parallel force. This results in the object moving down the incline with a constant acceleration.

What factors affect the motion of an object on an inclined plane according to Newton's Law: block and incline?

The factors that affect the motion of an object on an inclined plane according to Newton's Law: block and incline are the angle of the incline, the mass of the object, and the force applied on the object. As the angle of the incline increases, the parallel force component increases, resulting in a greater acceleration. The mass of the object also affects the acceleration, with a larger mass requiring a greater force to achieve the same acceleration. Lastly, the force applied on the object can be adjusted to change the resulting motion.

How is Newton's Law: block and incline used in real-world applications?

Newton's Law: block and incline is used in various real-world applications, such as ramps and inclined planes used for loading and unloading heavy objects, wheelchair ramps, and roller coasters. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the motion of objects on sloped surfaces, such as hills and mountains.