Newton's Law of Cooling for Multilayers

In summary, the conversation discusses solving Newton's Law of Cooling for a 4-layered system in an Excel model. Each layer has different thermal properties and the ambient temperature is constant. The equation T(t) = Tenv + [T(0) - Tenv]e^(-rt) is used, with r=hA/C and T(t) representing the temperature of the layer in question. The conversation also mentions using simultaneous equations to solve for the temperatures of each layer, and considering an energy balance using Fourier's Law of Thermal Conduction.
wally2938
1. A problem that I need to solve for class is asking me to solve Newton's Law of Cooling for a 4-layered system.

The system is a cube with three layers (also cubic) around it. The inside cube and the three layers all start at the same temperature that is lower than the ambient temperature. Each layer has different thermal properties and the ambient temperature around the outside is held constant. We are not given any data about initial temperature etc. They just want us to submit an excel model.

Even if you could explain a simplified solution for a two/three - layer system (so that I can see how to solve when there are two sources/drains of heat) that would be so helpful

2. Newton's Law of Cooling

T(t) = Tenv + [T(0) - Tenv]e^(-rt)
r=hA/C

T(t) is the temperature of the layer in question
Tenv is the ambient temperature which is constant
h is the heat transfer coefficient for two particular layers
A is the area over which heat transfer occurs
C is the heat capacity of the layer in question
t is time

3. I've attempted to modify a solution that I found regarding home insulation...

Let the temperatures of the cube and the insulating layers (going outwards) be T1, T2, T3 and T4.

I defined r values for each interface (with an intention to come back and work this through more precisely later): r1 for cube/layer 1, r2 for layer 1/layer 2, r3 for layer 2/layer 3, r4 for layer 3/environment

I got some simultaneous equations:

T1(t) = T2(t) + [T1(0) - T2(t)]e^(-r1t)
T2(t) = T1(t) + [T2(0) - T1(t)]e^(-r1t) + T3(t) + [T2(0) - T3(t)]e^(-r2t)
T3(t) = T2(t) + [T3(0) - T2(t)]e^(-r2t) + T4(t) + [T3(0) - T4(t)]e^(-r3t)
T4(t) = T3(t) + [T4(0) - T3(t)]e^(-r3t) + Tenv + [T4(0) - Tenv]e^(-r4t)

Is this the right direction to go in? Or am I mental?

Physics news on Phys.org
It may be useful for you to look at an energy balance. The total energy will be conserved in this system, with the heat transfer through one layer equal to the heat transfer through each subsequent layer. Look up Fourier's Law of Thermal Conduction.

1. What is Newton's Law of Cooling for Multilayers?

Newton's Law of Cooling for Multilayers is a mathematical model that describes the rate at which heat is transferred between multiple layers of materials with different temperatures.

2. How does Newton's Law of Cooling for Multilayers differ from the original Newton's Law of Cooling?

While the original Newton's Law of Cooling only applies to a single layer of material, the multilayer version takes into account the heat transfer between multiple layers with different temperatures.

3. What factors affect the rate of heat transfer in Newton's Law of Cooling for Multilayers?

The rate of heat transfer in this law is affected by the temperature difference between the layers, the thermal conductivity of each layer, and the thickness of each layer.

4. Can Newton's Law of Cooling for Multilayers be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, this law can be applied to real-life situations such as the cooling of buildings with multiple layers of insulation or the cooling of electronic devices with multiple layers of materials.

5. Is Newton's Law of Cooling for Multilayers a reliable model for heat transfer?

While it is a simplified model, it can provide a good approximation for heat transfer in situations where the layers have significant temperature differences and the materials have similar thermal conductivities.