Newton's Law of Gravitation (again)

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the gravitational force exerted on particles in two different scenarios. In part a, four particles of mass m are arranged in a regular tetrahedron and the force between each particle is found using the gravitational equation. In part b, three uniform spheres of mass M are arranged in an equilateral triangle with a fourth sphere placed on top, and the gravitational force on the top sphere is calculated. The conversation also addresses the need to consider the horizontal and vertical components of the force vectors and the implication of the same answer for both scenarios.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

a). Four particles, each of mass m , are situated at the vertices of a regular tetrahedron of side a. Find the Gravational force exerted on anyone of the particles by the other three

b) Three uniform rigid spheres of mass M and radius a are placed on a horizontal table and are pressed together so that their centres are at the vertices of an equilateral triangle. A fourth uniform rigid sphere of mass M and radius a is placed on top of the other three so that all four spheres are in contact with each other. Find the gravitational force exerted on the upper phere by the three lowers one

Homework Equations

Possible F=m1*m2*G/R^2

F(net)=F1+F2+F3+F4

The Attempt at a Solution

part a)
What is really going to be difficult for me to calculate is the distance between the mass that lies on top of the vertices and the of one of the three masses that lies on the three vertices of the equilateral triangle; the base of the tetrahedron is an equilateral triangle since the polyhedron is a regular tetrahedron.

attempting calculation at height: since triangle is equilateral, angles will be 60 degrees each. I draw a line segment that bisects one of the four equilateral triangles: therefore a breaks into two segments of a/2. I also consider that a*cos(30)= a*root(3)/2 . using the pythagorean theorem my Radius should be: R=Root((a*root(3)/2)^2 +(a/2)^2)=Root(3*a^2+a^2/4)) ; that isn't right .What other method should I apply to obtain the radius.

part b) Almost the same as above: h=a*root(3)/2 ; therefore R=root((3/4)*a+(3/4)*a)=.5*root(6*a) ; still wrong

how is part b different from part a , other than the fact that the masses of part b have a spherical shape.

Physics news on Phys.org
In part a, the centers of each pair of masses is separated by distance a. Remember that gravitational force is a vector, so one needs to look at horizontal (parallel with the plane of three mass) and vertical (perpendicular with plane of three mass) components of the resultant force vector.

What is the implication of part a and part b giving the same answer?

Astronuc said:
In part a, the centers of each pair of masses is separated by distance a. Remember that gravitational force is a vector, so one needs to look at horizontal (parallel with the plane of three mass) and vertical (perpendicular with plane of three mass) components of the resultant force vector.

What is the implication of part a and part b giving the same answer?
But wouldn't a tetrahedron be in a 3-d plane, so wouldn't I have to considered the x,y, and z components of the plane?
F=F1+F2+F3

Would F1 be: F1=m*m*G/(a*cos(60))^2+m*m*G/(a*sin(60))^2
since all 3 forces have the same masses, F net would look like:

F(net)= 3*(m*m*G/(a*cos(60))^2+m*m*G/(a*sin(60))^2)

Benzoate said:
But wouldn't a tetrahedron be in a 3-d plane, so wouldn't I have to considered the x,y, and z components of the plane?
F=F1+F2+F3

Would F1 be: F1=m*m*G/(a*cos(60))^2+m*m*G/(a*sin(60))^2
since all 3 forces have the same masses, F net would look like:

F(net)= 3*(m*m*G/(a*cos(60))^2+m*m*G/(a*sin(60))^2)

was my last response not understandable?

Related to Newton's Law of Gravitation (again)

What is Newton's Law of Gravitation?

Newton's Law of Gravitation states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Who is Sir Isaac Newton and why is his law important?

Sir Isaac Newton was a renowned physicist and mathematician who lived in the 17th and 18th centuries. His law of gravitation is important because it explains the force of gravity that exists between all objects in the universe, and it laid the foundation for our understanding of gravity and its effects.

What is the formula for Newton's Law of Gravitation?

The mathematical formula for Newton's Law of Gravitation is F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

Does Newton's Law of Gravitation only apply to objects on Earth?

No, Newton's Law of Gravitation applies to all objects in the universe, not just those on Earth. It explains the gravitational pull between planets, stars, and other celestial bodies.

Can Newton's Law of Gravitation be proven?

Newton's Law of Gravitation has been extensively tested and has been found to accurately predict the behavior of gravitational forces in our universe. However, it is ultimately a scientific theory and cannot be proven in the same sense as a mathematical equation.