Calculating Gravitational Forces and Potential Energy Using Newton's Laws

In summary, In Newtonian gravity, the force between two masses is dependent only on the masses and the distances between them. The equation of motion for a particle in Newtonian gravity is given by$$\vec {r_{i}} =\Sigma_j 0.5 g_j t^{2}$$
Nirmal Padwal
Homework Statement
Consider an isolated system of N point objects interacting via gravity. Let the mass and position vector of the ith object be ##m_{i}## and ##\vec{r_i}## respectively. What is the vector equation of motion of the ith object? Write expression for the total kinetic energy ##K## and potential energy ##U## of the system. Demonstrate from the equations of motions that ##K+U## is a conserved quantity
Relevant Equations
1. ##\vec{F} = m \vec {a}##
2. ##K = 0.5 m \frac {d}{dt}{r_{i}}^2##
3. ##U = mgr_{i}##
For the first part, I considered the Force acting on it by all charges as given by
$$\vec {F} = \Sigma_{j} \frac{m_{i} m_{j}}{\left(r_j - r_i \right)^{1.5}} \vec{r_j} - \vec {r_i}
= \Sigma_j m_i \vec {g_j} $$

Where ##\vec{g_{j}}## represents gravitational acceleration of ##m_i## due to jth mass

I approached the problem coordinate-wise i.e first the x coordinate and y and z equations have to be analogous. I equated above equation with ##\vec {F}=m \vec{a}## and integrated twice and then combined results for all three coordinates to get
$$\vec{r_{i}} =\Sigma_j 0.5 g_j t^{2} $$

I assumed the particle of interest starts from rest and initially positioned at origin.. hence no integration constants.

Now I used above formula for K.. i.e I differentiated ##r_{i}## and mulitiplied the result by factor ##0.5 m_{i}## to get
$$K = 0.5 m_{i} \Sigma_{j} {g_{j}}^2 t^{2}$$

Similarly I used above equation of U and got the same equation as for K but with a negative sign (as gravitational forces are attractive). They do add up to zero.

Now, I don't know if this approach is valid or it is just nonsense.. Is it valid?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be good if you fixed your latex.

Nirmal Padwal said:

I assumed the particle of interest starts from rest and initially positioned at origin.. hence no integration constants.

If you have assumed that the force on particle ##i## from particle ##j## is constant (over time), then that is not going to work in general.

I have fixed the latex. The chapter's name is Newtonian Gravity. Force in Newtonian gravity depends only on the masses and relative distances between them right and it is independent of time, isn't it?

Nirmal Padwal said:
I have fixed the latex. The chapter's name is Newtonian Gravity. Force in Newtonian gravity depends only on the masses and relative distances between them right and it is independent of time, isn't it?

Not if the masses are free to move. Then the distance between them is changing over time.

Nirmal Padwal said:
Homework Statement: Consider an isolated system of N point objects interacting via gravity. Let the mass and position vector of the ith object be ##m_{i}## and ##\vec{r_i}## respectively. What is the vector equation of motion of the ith object? Write expression for the total kinetic energy ##K## and potential energy ##U## of the system. Demonstrate from the equations of motions that ##K+U## is a conserved quantity
Homework Equations: 1. ##\vec{F} = m \vec {a}##
3. ##U = mgr_{i}##

For the first part, I considered the Force acting on it by all charges as given by
$$\vec {F} = \Sigma_{j} \frac{m_{i} m_{j}}{\left(r_j - r_i \right)^{1.5}} \vec{r_j} - \vec {r_i}

Where ##\vec{g_{j}}## represents gravitational acceleration of ##m_i## due to jth mass

I approached the problem coordinate-wise i.e first the x coordinate and y and z equations have to be analogous. I equated above equation with ##\vec {F}=m \vec{a}## and integrated twice and then combined results for all three coordinates to get

Now I used above formula for K.. i.e I differentiated ##r_{i}## and mulitiplied the result by factor ##0.5 m_{i}## to get
$$K = 0.5 m_{i} \Sigma_{j} {g_{j}}^2 t^{2}$$

Similarly I used above equation of U and got the same equation as for K but with a negative sign (as gravitational forces are attractive). They do add up to zero.

Now, I don't know if this approach is valid or it is just nonsense.. Is it valid?

You got K+U=0? Consider our solar system. It is approximately isolated,interacts via gravity and consist of finite bodies. Since all the hypothesis are true ,our solar system should have 0 net energy which is not true since the energy of system is negative in this case. The flaw in reasoning is equation of ##r_i## in terms of ##g_j##. Please fix it, I didn't check. Alternatively,try differentiating K+U w.r.t time and show that it is 0!

Nirmal Padwal said:
Did you mean ##\frac{d}{dt}(\vec r \cdot \vec r)##, which is what you wrote? Or did you mean ##\dot {\vec r} \cdot \dot {\vec r}##?

3. ##U = mgr_{i}##
This isn't correct.

Why 1.5 in the exponent in the denominator? Missing factor of ##G##? ##i \ne j##? Also, ##\vec{r_j} - \vec {r_i}## should be in parentheses.

1. How do you calculate the gravitational force between two objects?

According to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, the gravitational force between two objects is calculated by multiplying the mass of the two objects, dividing by the distance between them squared, and then multiplying by the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2). This can be expressed mathematically as F = G * (m1 * m2)/d^2, where F is the gravitational force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

2. How does distance affect the gravitational force between two objects?

The gravitational force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two objects decreases, the gravitational force between them increases, and vice versa.

3. What is potential energy and how is it related to gravitational forces?

Potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or configuration. In the context of gravitational forces, potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. The higher an object is in a gravitational field, the more potential energy it has. This potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy when the object falls towards the source of the gravitational field.

4. Can the gravitational force between two objects be negative?

No, the gravitational force between two objects cannot be negative. The force of gravity is always attractive and is a positive value. However, the direction of the force can be negative if it is directed opposite to a chosen reference direction.

5. How does mass affect the gravitational force between two objects?

The gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to the mass of the two objects. This means that as the mass of one or both objects increases, the gravitational force between them also increases. Therefore, larger objects will have a stronger gravitational force between them compared to smaller objects.