Newton's Law of Temperature Change Differential

In summary, the problem is that the writer does not seem to know how to integrate and is asking for a solution to the dy/dx = a*(y-b) equation.
Manni
I'm a bit confused as to what I do next with this problem.

Consider the initial value problem [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] = a(y-b) where y(0) = y0

With a > 0, b = 0, it represents exponential growth, while a < 0, b = 0 gives exponential decay. With y = T, a = -k, k = TA and y0=T0 it gives Newton's Law of Temperature Change,

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] = -k(T - TA)

Solve the given model and give a qualitative sketch for each of the cases 1) a > 0 and 2) a < 0. You may assume b ≥ 0. Include y0= b as one typical solution for each.

So what I did was I applied the integral to both sides of [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] = -k(T - TA) yielding,

1 = -k ∫ (T - TA)

But I don't know how to integrate TA

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't integrate both sides because you have no differential on the right. Part of your problem is that you say y= T but then leave y in the equation.
Write the equation as [itex]\frac{dT}{dx}= -k(T- T_A)[/itex], then as
[tex]\frac{dT}{T- T_A}= -kdx[/tex]
and integrate. TA is a constant. To integrate on the left, let u= T- TA so that du= dT.

Manni said:
I'm a bit confused as to what I do next with this problem.

Consider the initial value problem [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] = a(y-b) where y(0) = y0

With a > 0, b = 0, it represents exponential growth, while a < 0, b = 0 gives exponential decay. With y = T, a = -k, k = TA and y0=T0 it gives Newton's Law of Temperature Change,

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] = -k(T - TA)

Solve the given model and give a qualitative sketch for each of the cases 1) a > 0 and 2) a < 0. You may assume ≥ 0. Include y0= b as one typical solution for each.

So what I did was I applied the integral to both sides of [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] = -k(T - TA) yielding,

1 = -k ∫ (T - TA)

But I don't know how to integrate TA

I think you are mis-reading the problem. It says to solve the given model, and to look at the cases a > 0 and a < 0, etc. To me, that says solve dy/dx = a*(y-b) [= the given model], so there is no "T" involved.

RGV

Oh, so we would integrate the constant b as a normal constant correct? I.e. b*x?

Not when it is in the denominator! Use the substitution u= T- TA as I suggested.

Oh I understand, thank you!

Wait, it's dT/dt not dT/dx?

The only thing I'm not sure of is if it the question is asking for solutions. If it is can I put the dy/dx equation in the standard differential form,

dy/dx + P(x) = Q(x)

Then, I can determine the integrating factor and solve that way. I was initially thinking of doing that, would it work?

Last edited:

Related to Newton's Law of Temperature Change Differential

1. What is Newton's Law of Temperature Change Differential?

Newton's Law of Temperature Change Differential, also known as Newton's Law of Cooling, states that the rate of change of temperature of an object is directly proportional to the difference in temperature between the object and its surroundings.

2. How is Newton's Law of Temperature Change Differential used in science?

This law is used to predict the rate at which an object will cool or heat up when exposed to a different temperature environment. It is commonly used in fields such as thermodynamics, heat transfer, and meteorology.

3. What factors affect the rate of temperature change according to Newton's Law?

The rate of temperature change is affected by factors such as the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings, the surface area of the object, the material and thickness of the object, and the thermal conductivity of the object and its surroundings.

4. Is Newton's Law of Temperature Change Differential applicable to all objects?

No, this law is only applicable to objects that are undergoing a temperature change due to heat transfer with their surroundings. It does not apply to objects that are undergoing a phase change, such as melting or boiling.

5. How is Newton's Law of Temperature Change Differential related to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that heat will always flow from a higher temperature to a lower temperature. Newton's Law of Temperature Change Differential is a direct application of this second law, as it describes the rate at which this heat flow occurs.