Find the Cartesian equation of a curve given the parametric equation

In summary, this conversation covers the solution to a problem in which one has seen that two equations result in a drop in the reciprocal terms. If one has already seen this, then they can subtract the equations to get the solution.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Kindly see attached below
Relevant Equations
parametric equations
My interest on this question is solely on ##10.iii## only... i shared the whole question so as to give some background information.

1626309434209.png

1626309486559.png

the solution to ##10.iii## here,
1626309538747.png

now my question is, what if one would approach the question like this,
##\frac {dy}{dx}=\frac{t^2+2}{t^2-2}##
we know that ##xt=t^2+2##
##yt=t^2-2##,
therefore, ##\frac {dy}{dx}=\frac{x}{y}##
it follows that, ##ydy=xdx## on integration, ##\frac {y^2}{2}+k=\frac {x^2}{2}##, or
##x^2-y^2=2k##, would this be correct? (...if a student was to answer using this approach in an exam i.e...)
I know that the ##k## value here is not assigned the required numeric value ##8##...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it would be correct. But you would have to find a way to find k, probably using the fact that $$x^2-y^2=(t+\frac{2}{t})^2-(t-\frac{2}{t})^2=...=8$$

Likes chwala
Delta2 said:
Yes it would be correct. But you would have to find a way to find k, probably using the fact that $$x^2-y^2=(t+\frac{2}{t})^2-(t-\frac{2}{t})^2=...=8$$
which takes us back to the mark scheme method...going round in a circle...would the student get full marks for my approach or will he miss a mark for not having the ##k## value?

chwala said:
which takes us back to the mark scheme method...going round in a circle...would the student get full marks for my approach or will he miss a mark for not having the ##k## value?
I think he will miss some points for not having the ##k## value...something like 10%-25% of the total points.

Thanks delta... its a ##4## mark question, my quick guess is that a student would score ##3## marks...cheers mate.

If one has already seen that adding the two equations drops the reciprocal ##t## terms, then it should be obvious that subtracting the equations drops the ##t## terms:
##x+y=2t##
##x-y=\dfrac{4}{t}##
Multiplying the equations drops the ##t## dependence on the right
##(x+y)(x-y)=8.##

Likes chwala and Delta2
kuruman said:
If one has already seen that adding the two equations drops the reciprocal ##t## terms, then it should be obvious that subtracting the equations drops the ##t## terms:
##x+y=2t##
##x-y=\dfrac{4}{t}##
Multiplying the equations drops the ##t## dependence on the right
##(x+y)(x-y)=8.##
nice kuruman,...looks like i can use your approach in solving simultaneous equations in the future...i did not realize one can multiply the expressions the way you've done. Brilliant mate!

Likes kuruman

1. What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a way to represent a curve or surface in terms of one or more parameters. These parameters determine the position of points on the curve or surface.

2. Why do we need to find the Cartesian equation of a curve?

The Cartesian equation of a curve is in the form of x and y coordinates, making it easier to graph and analyze. It also allows us to find important information about the curve, such as its slope and intercepts.

3. How do you convert a parametric equation to a Cartesian equation?

To convert a parametric equation to a Cartesian equation, you can use the equations x = f(t) and y = g(t), where f(t) and g(t) are the parametric equations. Then, you can eliminate the parameter t by solving for it in one equation and substituting it into the other equation.

4. Can a parametric equation have multiple Cartesian equations?

Yes, a parametric equation can have multiple Cartesian equations. This is because there are infinite ways to represent a curve in the Cartesian coordinate system.

5. Are there any limitations to converting a parametric equation to a Cartesian equation?

Yes, there are some limitations to converting a parametric equation to a Cartesian equation. Some curves may not have a simple Cartesian equation, and some may require advanced mathematical techniques to convert. Additionally, the Cartesian equation may not fully represent the behavior of the curve in certain cases.