Newton's Laws and Force Problem

In summary, the student is trying to raise a chain of three identical links, each with a mass of 380g. By pulling upward on the string connected to the chain, the student applies an upward force of 12N to the chain. Using Newton's laws, the acceleration of the chain is found to be 0.726 meters per second squared. The force exerted by the top link on the middle link can be solved by drawing a free body diagram for each link.
Yosty22

Homework Statement

A student tries to raise a chain consisting of three identical links. Each link has a mass of 380g. The three-piece chain is connected to a string and then suspended vertically, with the student holding the upper end of the string and pulling upward. Because of the student's pull, an upward force of 12N is applied to the chain by the string. Use Newton's laws to answer the following questions.
a). Find the acceleration of the chain.
b). Find the force exerted by the top link on the middle link.

Homework Equations

F=ma
F_A on B= -F_B on A

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't for the life of me figure out letter b. For a), I did:
T-mg=ma
12-(.380*3)(9.8)=(0.380*3)a
Solve for a, get:
acceleration = 0.726 meters per second squared.
This is the correct answer. However, I have no idea at all how to set up or solve part B.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yosty22 said:

Homework Statement

A student tries to raise a chain consisting of three identical links. Each link has a mass of 380g. The three-piece chain is connected to a string and then suspended vertically, with the student holding the upper end of the string and pulling upward. Because of the student's pull, an upward force of 12N is applied to the chain by the string. Use Newton's laws to answer the following questions.
a). Find the acceleration of the chain.
b). Find the force exerted by the top link on the middle link.

Homework Equations

F=ma
F_A on B= -F_B on A

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't for the life of me figure out letter b. For a), I did:
T-mg=ma
12-(.380*3)(9.8)=(0.380*3)a
Solve for a, get:
acceleration = 0.726 meters per second squared.
This is the correct answer. However, I have no idea at all how to set up or solve part B.
Draw a Free Body Diagram for the bottom link.

Draw a Free Body Diagram for the middle link. (Maybe this one is all you need.)

Draw a Free Body Diagram for the top link.

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do you calculate force?

Force is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration, according to Newton's second law. The formula is F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. Force is measured in units of Newtons (N).

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object and is measured in kilograms (kg). Weight, on the other hand, is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object and is measured in Newtons (N). While mass remains constant, an object's weight can change depending on the strength of the gravitational force acting on it.

4. How does Newton's third law apply to everyday life?

Newton's third law can be seen in everyday life in actions such as walking, throwing a ball, or even sitting in a chair. When walking, we push against the ground with our feet and the ground pushes back with an equal and opposite force, propelling us forward. When throwing a ball, the force of our throw is met with an equal and opposite force from the ball, causing it to move in the opposite direction.

5. How do you apply Newton's laws to solve force problems?

To solve force problems, you must first identify the forces acting on an object and their directions. Then, you can use Newton's second law (F=ma) to calculate the net force acting on the object. Once the net force is determined, you can use it to calculate the object's acceleration or any other unknown variables. It is important to draw a free body diagram and apply Newton's laws in a systematic way to accurately solve force problems.