Newton's laws: Block/Pulley/Wedge/Friction

In summary, the static friction between M and the floor is μs and the dynamic is μd. When F=0, what is the minimal static friction if M doesn't move?
Eitan Levy

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-18_0-15-41.png

No friction between m2 and M.
The static friction between M and the floor is μs and the dynamic is μd.
When F=0, what is the minimal static friction if M doesn't move?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Force caused by friction: μN=F

The Attempt at a Solution

What I thought is that m2 is affected by gravity, normal and tension and that M is affected by m2's normal, gravity, it's own normal and the friction.
I wrote the following equations:
N=m2gcosθ
Ncosθ+Mg=N' (N' is M's normal).
Nsinθ=μsN'
My answer:
μs=m2gsinθcosθ/(Mg+m2gcos2θ)
Their answer:
upload_2017-12-18_0-30-33.png

What am I missing here?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-18_0-15-41.png
    upload_2017-12-18_0-15-41.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,624
  • upload_2017-12-18_0-30-33.png
    upload_2017-12-18_0-30-33.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 664
Physics news on Phys.org
Eitan Levy said:
What am I missing here?
The forces exerted on the pulley (and thus on M) by the rope.

haruspex said:
Thanks!

haruspex said:
I still don't get the correct answer, is my algebra the problem or my equations:
m1a=m1g-T
m2a=T-m2gsinθ
N=m2gcosθ
N'=Ncosθ+Mg+(1+sinθ)T
Tcosθ=μsN'+Nsinθ

Eitan Levy said:
I still don't get the correct answer, is my algebra the problem or my equations:
m1a=m1g-T
m2a=T-m2gsinθ
N=m2gcosθ
N'=Ncosθ+Mg+(1+sinθ)T
Tcosθ=μsN'+Nsinθ
Is it obvious which way friction will act?

haruspex said:
Is it obvious which way friction will act?
No, but I have no idea how to check it.

Eitan Levy said:
No, but I have no idea how to check it.
The official answer seems to have made an assumption. There is a factor in the numerator that could in principle be negative, so they must be assuming it is positive. Or is there some information you have left out?
Your equations in post #4 make the opposite assumption.

haruspex said:
The official answer seems to have made an assumption. There is a factor in the numerator that could in principle be negative, so they must be assuming it is positive. Or is there some information you have left out?
Your equations in post #4 make the opposite assumption.
The exact words:
"A force equals to F applies on a surface with a mass of M. The dynamic and static friction coefficients of M with the floor are μD and μS respectively. A body with a mass of m1 is connected with a pulley to another body with a mass of m2, which slides without friction on M.
First they asked what is the acceleration of m2 assuming μs is very big, but this was not mentioned in this part of the question so I thought I am not allowed to use this. Does this resolve it?

Eitan Levy said:
Does this resolve it?
Not really. The trouble is that we cannot tell which way the masses will move.
If m1 > m2 sin(θ) then m1 descends and m2 slides left. That will tend to push M right, so friction acts to the left. This seems to be the problem setter's intent. But in your equations you have taken friction as acting to the right, which would be correct if m1 < m2 sin(θ).
I cannot tell if you had any algebraic errors beyond that.

Another clue to the intent is the force F that comes in later.

haruspex said:
Not really. The trouble is that we cannot tell which way the masses will move.
If m1 > m2 sin(θ) then m1 descends and m2 slides left. That will tend to push M right, so friction acts to the left. This seems to be the problem setter's intent. But in your equations you have taken friction as acting to the right, which would be correct if m1 < m2 sin(θ).
I cannot tell if you had any algebraic errors beyond that.

Another clue to the intent is the force F that comes in later.

That was my problem as well.
So basically, it's impossible to determine this?

Eitan Levy said:
That was my problem as well.
So basically, it's impossible to determine this?
I am saying that the problem setter forgot to specify that m1 > m2 sin(θ). So assume that and try again. You will need to change your last equation in post #4.

Likes Eitan Levy
haruspex said:
I am saying that the problem setter forgot to specify that m1 > m2 sin(θ). So assume that and try again. You will need to change your last equation in post #4.
Alright, thank you.

The given answer should not have a factor of g in the numerator.

By taking the absolute value of the numerator, the answer will be valid for all values of ##m_1## and ##m_2##.

Related to Newton's laws: Block/Pulley/Wedge/Friction

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the relationships between an object's motion and the forces acting on it. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and are considered the foundation of classical mechanics.

2. How do Newton's laws apply to a block on a flat surface?

In this scenario, Newton's first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. The block will stay at rest until a force, such as a push or pull, is applied to it. Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the larger the force acting on the block, the greater its acceleration will be. Finally, Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this case, the force pushing the block forward will also result in an equal and opposite force pushing back on the object.

3. How do Newton's laws apply to a pulley system?

In a pulley system, Newton's first law applies to the ropes or cables, as they will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law can be used to calculate the tension in the ropes, as the acceleration of the pulley will be directly proportional to the net force acting on it. Finally, Newton's third law can be observed as the force exerted by one side of the rope will result in an equal and opposite force on the other side.

4. How does friction affect objects in motion?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. It acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion and can either slow down or stop an object. This is explained by Newton's first law, as an object in motion will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. Friction is also related to Newton's second law, as the force of friction is directly proportional to the weight and normal force acting on an object.

5. How does a wedge use Newton's laws of motion?

A wedge is a simple machine that consists of a triangular shaped object used to split or lift objects apart. When a force is applied to the wedge, it creates a shearing force that can either push or split objects apart. This is explained by Newton's second and third laws, as the force applied to the wedge will result in an equal and opposite reaction force, pushing the two objects apart. The amount of force required to move the wedge is also dependent on the mass and angle of the wedge, as explained by Newton's second law.