Newtons Laws car deacceleration

In summary, a 1900kg car moves along a horizontal road at speed v0 = 23.6 m/s. The road is wet, so the static friction coefficient between the tires and the road is only μs = 0.218 and the kinetic friction coefficient is even lower, μk = 0.1526. The highest possible deceleration of the car under such conditions would be 2841.412 m/s2.
Beanie

Homework Statement

A 1900 kg car moves along a horizontal road at speed v0 = 23.6 m/s. The road is wet, so the static friction coefficient between the tires and the road is only μs = 0.218 and the kinetic friction coefficient is even lower, μk = 0.1526.

The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .

Assume: No aerodynamic forces; g = 9.8 m/s2, forward is the positive direction.

What is the highest possible deceleration of the car under such conditions?

Answer in units of m/s2.

Homework Equations

Ff=mu*Fn
Sum of all Forces = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

m = 1900kg
Vi=23.6m/s = Fp
mus=0.218
muk=0.1526
ay=9.8m/s

Fn=(9.8)(1900)=18620
Ff=muk*Fn
Ff=(0.1526)(18620)
Ff=2841.412N

Sum of all forces=ma
Ff+Fp=ma
(2841.412)+Fp=(1900)a

I ran into many problems with this. First of all, in step 1 when using the Ff=mu*Fn I didn't know whether to use the coefficient of static friction or the coefficient of kinetic friction. I assumed it was the coefficient of kinetic friction because the car was already in motion. Is this right?

Also, when using the F=ma equation, I was trying to use all of the forces in the x direction to find the acceleration in the x direction. This meant that only the force of friction and the force of the object moving to the right were acting upon the object for this equation. I had already calculated the force of friction, however I couldn't calculate the force of the object moving towards the right, because I only had the initial velocity of the object moving towards the right and you can't convert velocity to force. Where do I go next from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Beanie said:
I didn't know whether to use the coefficient of static friction or the coefficient of kinetic friction. I assumed it was the coefficient of kinetic friction because the car was already in motion. Is this right?

This is a common confusion. The term 'static' and 'kinetic' in the case of friction refers to whether there is relative motion between the surfaces in contact. Unless the car is skidding the friction between the surfaces would be static.

Beanie said:
This meant that only the force of friction and the force of the object moving to the right were acting upon the object for this equation. I had already calculated the force of friction, however I couldn't calculate the force of the object moving towards the right, because I only had the initial velocity of the object moving towards the right and you can't convert velocity to force.

This is another common confusion. Around Newton's time people used the word force to mean various things, but the language has been cleared up. Objects do not have force by virtue of their motion - they have momentum. Forces change momentum. If the surfaces are horizontal then the net horizontal force will simply be due to friction.

Beanie said:
I ran into many problems with this. First of all, in step 1 when using the Ff=mu*Fn I didn't know whether to use the coefficient of static friction or the coefficient of kinetic friction. I assumed it was the coefficient of kinetic friction because the car was already in motion. Is this right?

The car is in motion, yes, but what about the tires relative to the road surface?

brainpushups said:
This is a common confusion. The term 'static' and 'kinetic' in the case of friction refers to whether there is relative motion between the surfaces in contact. Unless the car is skidding the friction between the surfaces would be static.
This is another common confusion. Around Newton's time people used the word force to mean various things, but the language has been cleared up. Objects do not have force by virtue of their motion - they have momentum. Forces change momentum. If the surfaces are horizontal then the net horizontal force will simply be due to friction.

Okay, this makes more sense.

So...

Ff=mus*Fn
Ff=0.218*18620
Ff=4059.16

And then because sum of all forces is the force of friction,

4059.16=(1900)a
a=2.1364m/s^2

Looks okay. One comment I would like to point out because I'm guessing you haven't thought of it: You have given the acceleration a positive value (which is fine), but recognize that means the initial velocity must then be given a negative value. For any puzzle involving Newton's laws I would highly recommend making a clear choice of coordinate system in your initial drawing and labeling each of the forces with the appropriate sign. I have a feeling that if you were to do this carefully you would probably give the object a positive velocity and, since friction opposes the direction of motion, a corresponding negative sign for the force of friction (and hence negative acceleration).

What are Newton's Laws of car deceleration?

Newton's Laws of car deceleration refer to the three laws of motion that govern the movement of a car as it slows down. These laws were developed by Sir Isaac Newton and are fundamental principles in understanding the physics of car deceleration.

What is Newton's First Law of car deceleration?

Newton's First Law of car deceleration states that an object (in this case, a car) will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that a car will continue to move at a constant speed unless there is a force, such as friction or air resistance, that slows it down.

What is Newton's Second Law of car deceleration?

Newton's Second Law of car deceleration states that the force acting on an object (in this case, a car) is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. This means that the heavier the car is, or the faster it is moving, the more force is needed to slow it down.

What is Newton's Third Law of car deceleration?

Newton's Third Law of car deceleration states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that as a car slows down, the force of deceleration is equal to the force of the car on the road. This force is what causes the car to come to a stop.

How do Newton's Laws of car deceleration apply in real-life situations?

Newton's Laws of car deceleration are applicable in many real-life situations, such as when a car is braking to come to a stop, or when a car is slowing down to turn a corner. These laws also explain why it is important to wear a seatbelt while driving, as the force of deceleration can cause passengers to continue moving forward unless restrained by a seatbelt.