How Do You Calculate Acceleration from a Hanging Die's Deflection?

In summary: You'll find that paying attention to units can help you solve problems even if you're not always sure what to do. Just make sure your units are consistent with what you know about the situation. In summary, the problem involves determining the acceleration of a car based on the deflection of a fuzzy die hanging from a string attached to the roof. The mass of the die is given as 250 g and the relevant equations are F = ma and Fg = mg. The solution involves identifying and drawing the forces acting on the die, using Newton's laws in the vertical and horizontal directions, and paying attention to units in calculations.
shlurpie

Homework Statement

Calculate the acceleration of a car given the fuzzy die hanging from a string attached to the roof of the car is deflected 15degrees to the vertical. The mass of the die is 250 g.

Homework Equations

F = ma
Fg = mg

and possibly many more!

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even understand the question! Please, someone help! I'm desperate right now! I'm sorry if this is done wrongly, or in the wrong place. I'll be eternally grateful for some help.

Edit: Okay,I attempted something, but it doesn't look anywhere near right to me.

Fnet = Ftension - Fgy
ma = Ftension - (0.250cos15)
ma = Ftension - 0.2415
(0.250)a = Ftension - 0.2415

The only thing is, I don't know how to find FTension! D:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I attempted something. But I don't know if I did any of it right!

Hello shlurpie, at this time we welcome you to PF!:smile:

Okay,I attempted something, but it doesn't look anywhere near right to me.
nor to me, but at least you tried, which is a good thing.

Draw a sketch showing the object and string attached to the interior roof of the car and swinging out at a 15 degree angle to the vertical.

Now identify and show the forces acting on the object alone. Remember that the weight force, which is mg, always acts down, vertically down. That's one of the forces. The other force acting on the fuzzy die is the string tension, T. In what direction does the string tension point?

Once you show these 2 forces on your sketch, you need to correctly apply Newton's Laws in the vertical direction and then in the horizontal direction. Break up the forces into their vert and horiz components.There is no acceleration in the vertical direction . There is acceleration in the horizontal direction. Use the vert direction first to solve for T. Then use the horiz direction to solve for a. Give it a try.

Shlurpie,

A piece of advice, unrelated to the solution to this problem, is that you need to look at the units of your calculations.
Fnet = Ftension - Fgy
ma = Ftension - (0.250cos15)
ma = Ftension - 0.2415
It looks to me as though you tried to calculate the force of gravity in the y direction, but your force would've had units of only Kg.

F=m*a= kg*m/s2.

So at the very least you would've had to multiply by some acceleration (gravity in this case) to actually get a force.

No need to apologize, it's completely understandable to feel overwhelmed or confused by a question at first. Let's break it down step by step.

First, we need to understand what the question is asking. It is asking for the acceleration of a car, given the deflection of a fuzzy die hanging from a string attached to the roof of the car. This means that the car is moving and the die is hanging from the string, and we want to find out the acceleration of the car.

Now, let's look at the given information. We know that the mass of the die is 250 g, and it is deflected 15 degrees to the vertical. This means that the string attached to the roof of the car is at an angle of 15 degrees from the vertical, and the die is hanging from it.

Next, let's think about what forces are acting on the die. There are two main forces: the tension force from the string and the force of gravity (Fg). The tension force is pulling the die towards the roof of the car, while the force of gravity is pulling it towards the ground. These two forces are in opposite directions, so we can use Newton's Second Law (F=ma) to find the acceleration of the car.

We can also use Newton's Third Law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the tension force from the string is equal in magnitude to the force of gravity on the die (Ftension = Fg).

Now, let's put this all together. We know that the net force on the die is equal to the tension force minus the force of gravity (Fnet = Ftension - Fg). We can also rewrite this as ma = Ftension - Fg, since F=ma.

Since we know that Ftension = Fg, we can substitute this into our equation to get ma = Fg - Fg = 0. This means that the net force on the die is 0, and therefore the acceleration of the car is also 0. This makes sense, since the die is hanging straight down and not moving, so the car must also be at a constant velocity.

In summary, the acceleration of the car is 0, given the fuzzy die hanging from a string attached to the roof of the car is deflected 15 degrees to the vertical. This is because the net force on

What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three physical laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. These laws were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are fundamental to the study of classical mechanics.

What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate for a given force.

What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

How do Newton's Laws apply to real-life situations?

Newton's Laws of Motion can be observed in many real-life situations. For example, the first law explains why a moving car will continue moving forward even if the engine is turned off, and the second law can be seen in action when a rocket launches into space. The third law is also evident in everyday life, such as when you push against a wall and feel the wall pushing back against you.