Newton's Laws - Incline. Do I have the right idea?

In summary, the conversation discussed the questions and attempts at finding the correct answers for a problem set involving an incline with given dimensions, gravity, and friction. The equations and free-body diagrams were provided, along with the correct answers. The conversation also included a question about calculating the coefficient of kinetic friction using given information.
Lauren0619
I am hoping that I can have someone look over my answers. I have provided what I think is necessary to be appropriate posting, including the questions and attempts at all my answers. I would just like some feedback that I am correct in my answers. Thank you!

This is an overview that all the questions are based off of: An incline with theta 24 degrees, length of incline is 50m, base is 45.7 m, and height is 20.3 meters.

Question 1) 1. Homework Statement

Assuming a block at the top starts from rest (ignoring friction), how fast would it be moving when it reaches the bottom of the ramp? i.e. after sliding a distance of 50m.

Homework Equations

a=gsintheta
v=sqrt2gh

The Attempt at a Solution

mgh=.5mv^2
gh=.5v^2
v=sqrt2gh = 19.94 m/s

Question 2) [/B]Now include sliding friction. Draw a free-body diagram for the block when it is partway down the ramp. Label all the forces

No relevant Equations needed

Attempt at solution: Since I can't upload a photo, I'll describe my free body diagram: dot in middle represents block, downward arrow represents gravity, upward and to the right represents normal force, and upward perpendicular to normal force (to the left) represents friction. Am I missing any forces?

Question 3)
Using the free body diagram and Newton's 2nd law to derive the acceleration down the ramp (assume coefficient of kinetic fricion uk) Show reasoning/derivation.

Attempt at solution: Solve for Normal, N=mgcostheta
Sum of forces down the ramp are positive = ma=mgsintheta-friction
Friction is negative because it opposes the motion. Friction =uN Friction = umgcostheta
So, ma=mgsintheta-umgcostheta
a=g(sintheta) - uk (costheta)

Question 4) In the show watched in class (I don't think anyone needs to watch this to help), Adam suggests the second block will go faster down the incline because it weighs more. Based on your result in #2, do you agree?

Relevant Equations:
v=sqrt(2gh) Conservation of Energy

Attempt at solution: No, I don't agree. This is tricky. If I assume no air resistance (which since this hasn't been mentioned in the assignment, I'll assume no air resistence), then mass won't matter. If air resistance is considered, then yes - he would move faster.

Question 5) Suppose the block starts at rest, slides a distance of 50m to the bottom of the ramp, ending at a known (measured) speed v. Which expression tells us the coefficient of kinetic friction? Show the algebra.

My options for this one are:

A) tan(theta)
B) tan(theta) + v^2/2gL
C) tan(theta) - v^2/2gl
D) tan(theta) + v^2/2gl(cos(theta))
E) tan(theta) - v^2/2gl(cos(theta))

Relevant Equations:

Fr=uN

Attempt at a solution:

I believe the answer for this one is A because i think i remember it being taught in class that way. However, I'm not sure how to derive the answer. I know I have to start with the kinetic friction formula which is Fr=uN with N being the force of gravity? This is the one that I need more help on. I hesitate to choose that answer because my intuition tells me that this equation should include velocity.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
Lauren0619 said:
So, ma=mgsintheta-umgcostheta
a=g(sintheta) - uk (costheta)
Good, but make sure you don't leave out that factor of 'g' in the second term.

Lauren0619 said:
I believe the answer for this one is A because i think i remember it being taught in class that way. However, I'm not sure how to derive the answer. I know I have to start with the kinetic friction formula which is Fr=uN with N being the force of gravity? This is the one that I need more help on. I hesitate to choose that answer because my intuition tells me that this equation should include velocity.
Your intuition is correct: you'll need to use the given velocity. Hint: You just derived a formula that relates the acceleration and the coefficient of friction. Use it! Hint 2: Use kinematics to derive another equation for acceleration.

Likes Lauren0619
Doc Al, Thank you for your very helpful quick reply. I redid Question 5 and got E) for my answer.
I have one more question pertaining to this problem set:

Homework Statement

We are told the block reaches a max speed of about 30 mi/h at the bottom of the ramp. Use question 5 to calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction down the incline.

Homework Equations

tan(theta) - v^2/2gL(costheta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using dimensional analysis, I converted 30 mi/h to 13.4 m/s.
tan(24) - 13.4^2/2(9.8)(50)(cos24)
.445 - 13.4^2/895.27
.445 - .201 = .244

Excellent! :smile:

Likes Lauren0619

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three physical laws that describe how objects move in relation to the forces acting on them. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and are fundamental to understanding motion and mechanics in physics.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How does the second law of motion apply to an inclined plane?

The second law of motion, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. On an inclined plane, the force of gravity acts on the object, causing it to accelerate down the slope. The steeper the incline, the greater the acceleration.

4. What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration on an inclined plane?

On an inclined plane, the force of gravity can be broken down into two components: a force parallel to the incline (mg*sinθ) and a force perpendicular to the incline (mg*cosθ). The parallel force determines the acceleration of the object down the slope, while the perpendicular force is balanced by the normal force of the incline. The greater the mass of the object, the greater the force of gravity and the greater the acceleration down the slope.

5. How does the third law of motion apply to an inclined plane?

The third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. On an inclined plane, this means that the force the object exerts on the incline (the action) is equal and opposite to the force the incline exerts on the object (the reaction). This allows the object to move down the slope without slipping or sliding.