Newton's Method and Hoptial's Rule

In summary: This requires that x be a real number. To get "close" to the root, start with a "close" x, x0, and iterate until the sequence converges.how did you get that function?I got it by subtracting 1.5 cos(x) from both sides of x = 1.5 cos(x). In summary, the conversation includes a problem finding the limit as x approaches 0 in an equation and using Newton's method to find the positive value of x which satisfies x=1.5cos(x). There is some confusion about the use and application of Newton's method, but eventually, the correct function f(x) = x - 1.5cos(x) is identified
redbird555
Hi all I have these problem on my test review and even after guessing one right I have no idea how one would arrive at that answer so your help is greatly appreciated.

Homework Statement

1.find the limit as x approaches 0 in the equation[(3/x^4)-(4/x^2)]

2.Use Newton's method to find the positive value of which satisfies . Compute enough approximations so that your answer is within .05 of the exact answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the limit problem I simply tried taking the derivative of the two equations and subtracting them which gave me 0/0. I know the answer to the problem is infinity but I have no idea how one would arrive at that solution?

On the second problem I really don't have a clue. I don't know how to apply that to the normal Newtons method formula to a problem worded like this any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{1}{x^4}- \frac{4}{x^2}= \frac{1- 4x^2}{x^4}[/tex].
Apply L'Hopital's rule to that.

"Use Newton's method to find the positive value of which satisfies ."
I have no clue what that means. There seem to be words missing after "positive value of" and "satisfies".

sorry it should read.
Use Newton's method to find the positive value of x which satisfies x=1.5cos(x) . Compute enough approximations so that your answer is within .05 of the exact answer. (You may use any starting point you deem appropriate.)

HallsofIvy said:

"Use Newton's method to find the positive value of which satisfies ."
I have no clue what that means. There seem to be words missing after "positive value of" and "satisfies".

The only thing is my problem is 3/(x^4) instead of 1/(x^4) I tried to apply hopitals rule to your example and I came out with just zero after taking the derivative of the result and then plugging in zero back into the derivative.

HallsofIvy said:

@ redbird555,

Does L'Hopital's rule apply to [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0}\,\frac{3- 4x^2}{x^4}\ ?[/itex] Why not?

You should be able to do this without L'Hopital .

It would and your right it wouldn't even really need to apply hereI could just plug in zero. However if I do that I get a divided by 0 answer and I know the answer to the problem is a negative infinity so I'm not sure what's up.

Looks like +∞ to me.

ugghhh sorry I had a brain fart for a second it is positive infinity. thanks for all the help guys does anyone know how to complete the 2nd one I'm completely lost?? I relisted the problem with the correct info.

Do you know Newton's method ?

To get a starting value, graph:
y=x

and

y=cos(x)​

On the same set of axes & see approx where they intersect.

yes i understand how Newtons method works but I think the y=1.5cosx is confusing me.
I should be able to take any value for x and plug it in so let's say I take 3. Now that per Newtons method 3-[1.5cos(3)/(-3sin(3)/2)] this gives me -4.01525 and that is not correct which is why I'm stumped

Last edited:
x = 3 is a poor choice.

See the graph I suggested.
attachment.php?attachmentid=37499&stc=1&d=1311559888.gif

What are you using for your function?

What's the derivative?

Attachments

• 1_5cos_x.gif
    1_5cos_x.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 558
ok lol I am either very confused or there was some mis-communication. I'm using 1.5cos(x) as the function. so by that graph 1 would look like a logical choice therefor Newtons method reads x1-[f(x)/f'(x)] so I would get 1-[1.5cos(1)/(3sin(1)/2)] correct? If so that leaves me with a final value of 1.64209 which is not correct either. I've done quite a few Newtons method problems on this homework and was able to do them fine that's why I keep thinking its some organization mistake in the equation.

From one of your earlier posts:
redbird555 said:
sorry it should read.
Use Newton's method to find the positive value of x which satisfies x=1.5cos(x) . Compute enough approximations so that your answer is within .05 of the exact answer. (You may use any starting point you deem appropriate.)

I thought you were solving x = 1.5 cos(x) .

Well its asking for an x value that would satisfy that equation and as far as I could gather that's what I was trying to solve for in my calculations? I just need to figure it out before 1130 seeing as that's when my homework is due and this is the last problem I have

Newton's method finds a root of a function. You need a function, f(x), such that f(x) = 0 for the value of x that solves your equation. such a function is:

f(x) = x - 1.5cos(x)

Find f ' (x) for that function.

Then [itex]\displaystyle x_1 = x_0-\frac{f(x_0)}{f'(x_0)}\,.[/itex]

In general: [itex]\displaystyle x_{n+1} = x_n-\frac{f(x_n)}{f'(x_n)}\,.[/itex]

What is Newton's Method?

Newton's Method is a mathematical algorithm used to find the roots of a function. It involves using an initial guess to approximate a root and then refining the guess through a series of calculations until the desired accuracy is achieved.

How does Newton's Method work?

Newton's Method works by using the derivative of a function to find the tangent line at a given point. The intersection of this tangent line with the x-axis gives a better approximation of the root. This process is repeated until a desired level of accuracy is reached.

What is Hoptial's Rule?

Hoptial's Rule is a mathematical theorem that allows us to evaluate limits involving indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that if the limit of a function can be expressed as the ratio of two functions, and both functions approach 0 or ∞, then the limit can be evaluated by taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately.

When should Newton's Method and Hoptial's Rule be used?

Newton's Method and Hoptial's Rule are often used in calculus and other mathematical fields to solve problems involving finding roots or evaluating limits. They are especially useful when other methods, such as direct substitution, are not applicable.

What are some limitations of Newton's Method and Hoptial's Rule?

Newton's Method and Hoptial's Rule may not always provide accurate solutions, especially if the initial guess is far from the actual root or if the function is not differentiable. Additionally, Hoptial's Rule only applies to certain types of indeterminate forms and may not always be applicable. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of these methods before using them.