Newtons Rings: Calculating Refractive Index

In summary, the conversation is discussing a Newtons Rings experiment to determine the refractive index of water. The problem arises when trying to calculate the refractive index of air for the control experiment. The formula used is n = mRλ/y^{2}, but the results are not accurate. Suggestions are given for improving accuracy, such as using a different formula and being careful with measurement technique.
cgraystone
Newtons Rings Calculations - Values Not Working Out

I'm having trouble with a Newtons Rings experiment to determine the refractive index of water. I'm using a sodium light source and a Vernier scale traveling microscope to measure the radius of the bright circles (I don't know if measuring the dark circles will make a difference, though I have results for both). The problem arises not with finding the rings through the mircoscope, I can see the pattern clearly with a dark circle at the centre. The problem arises when I try to calculate the refractive index of air for my control experiment.

Using the equations, y[itex]^{2}[/itex] = mRλ/n where y[itex]^{2}[/itex] = the radius of the bright rings, m = the m[itex]^{th}[/itex] ring, R = the radius of the underside of the lens and n = refractive index.

Rearranging the formula: n = mRλ/y[itex]^{2}[/itex]

Results
Centre of pattern = 3.21mm (on Vernier Scale)

1st ring = 3.21mm ∴ y[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 0.02mm
2nd ring = 3.24mm ∴ y[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 0.05mm
3rd ring = 3.25mm ∴ y[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 0.06mm
(I have results for 10 rings, which I can post if it is helpful)

R = 75.23x10[itex]^{-3}[/itex] (using Pythagoras' Theorm)

Using the above formula: n = mRλ/y[itex]^{2}[/itex]
n = 1 x 75.23x10[itex]^{-3}[/itex] x 589.3x10[itex]^{-9} / 0.00002^{2}[/itex]​
= 110.8325975

I realize that this number is almost correct. I have the right digits just to the wrong order. However, when I did this calculation with the values for the second ring (m = 2, y[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 0.05[itex]^{2}[/itex]) the answer I got was 35.4664312.

I've tried everything I can think of and I cannot find any other formula that uses refractive index and wavelength. The only thing I can come up with as to why this does not work is because the paper in which I got this formula from is measuring water (which I will be ultimately, though I am measuring air for the moment) and that the formula only works for water. However, I very much doubt this as the only variable to change is the presence of water between the optical flat and lens.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and I am more than willing to provide any extra data that I have if needed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The diameters, D, of the dark rings (in air) are related to the wavelength, λ, and radius of curvature, R, of the lens (the radius of the spherical ball of which the lens is a part) is given by

λ = (D2(n+m) - D2n)/4mR

Basic_Physics said:
λ = (D2(n+m) - D2n)/4mR

Thanks very much for replying. I'm a little confused though; do you mean to take D2(n+m) and D2n as two separate values? For this project I need to be able to have n as the subject of the equation.

You mention a lot of "objectives" for this experiment. So I thought it good to start somewhere/anywhere. This might not be what you want since it seems your first objective is to determine the refractive index of air? Although this formula might get you there.
The formula takes the difference between the square of the diameters of two dark rings.
Dn is the diameter of a smaller dark ring and D(n+m) is the diameter of a larger dark ring -the mth one outside of Dn. It is best to start at one side of the rings with the traveling microscope and just keep on traveling in one direction while taking measurements of the encountered rings as you go. This eliminates backlash in the traveling microscope.

Your formula is correct (for the dark rings). It just seem that the value you get for the refractive index will have a large uncertainty due to the fact that you have only one significant digit to work with for the radius square. So rather try this formula:
D[itex]^{2}_{n}=\frac{4n\lambda R}{\mu}[/itex]
where μ is the index of refraction. You might also get better accuracy if you rather use the difference formula, but your results will depend on your measuring technique. If you did not measure correctly your errors will be large and accuracy will be severely influenced.

Last edited:

I understand your frustration with your Newtons Rings experiment. It can be frustrating when calculations don't seem to work out as expected. However, there are a few things to consider in this situation.

First, it is important to ensure that all measurements are as accurate as possible. Small errors in measurements can lead to significant discrepancies in the final results. Make sure that your microscope is properly calibrated and that you are taking precise measurements of the ring radii.

Second, when using the formula n = mRλ/y^{2}, it is important to remember that R is the radius of the underside of the lens, not the radius of the pattern on the microscope scale. Make sure you are using the correct value for R in your calculations.

Additionally, it may be helpful to double-check your units and make sure they are all consistent. It is possible that a unit conversion error could be causing the discrepancy in your results.

Lastly, it is possible that the formula you are using may not be applicable for air. The formula may have been derived specifically for water and may not give accurate results for air. I would recommend doing some further research to see if there is a different formula that should be used for air.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider all variables and potential sources of error in your experiment. Don't hesitate to consult with your peers or a mentor for additional guidance and troubleshooting. Keep in mind that sometimes even the most carefully planned experiments can have unexpected results, and it is all part of the scientific process. Good luck with your experiment!

1) What are Newton's Rings?

Newton's Rings refer to a phenomenon that occurs when a plano-convex lens is placed on top of a flat glass surface. It creates a series of concentric rings due to the interference of light waves.

2) How is the refractive index calculated using Newton's Rings?

The refractive index can be calculated by measuring the diameter of the rings and the radius of curvature of the lens. The equation used is n= (m+1/2) x (lambda/r) where n is the refractive index, m is the order of the ring, lambda is the wavelength of light, and r is the radius of curvature of the lens.

3) What is the significance of Newton's Rings in optics?

Newton's Rings are important in optics as they demonstrate the wave nature of light and also provide a non-destructive method for measuring the refractive index of a material. They are also used in the manufacturing of lenses and flat surfaces with high precision.

4) What factors can affect the accuracy of the refractive index calculation using Newton's Rings?

The accuracy of the refractive index calculation can be affected by factors such as the cleanliness of the surfaces, the thickness and quality of the lens, and the wavelength of the light used. Any imperfections or inconsistencies in these factors can result in errors in the calculated value.

5) Are there any limitations to using Newton's Rings for measuring refractive index?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Newton's Rings for refractive index measurements. The method may not be suitable for highly absorbing or opaque materials. Also, the refractive index can only be calculated for materials with a known radius of curvature and it may not be accurate for materials with a high refractive index (>1.5).