Newton's third law and friction

In summary, two blocks, X and Y, are connected by a light rope and can slide on a frictionless surface. X has a mass of 10kg and Y has a mass of 5.0kg. An applied force of 36 N [right] acts on X. The action-reaction forces the blocks exert on each other can be calculated using Newton's third law, where the rope tension is equal to the net force acting on the system. If the magnitudes of the friction forces on X and Y are 8.0 N and 4.0 N, respectively, the action-reaction forces can be calculated by considering the system as a whole and then using free body diagrams for each block.
cassiek

Homework Statement

Blocks X and Y are attached to each other by a light rope and can slide along a horizontal, frictionless surface. Block X has a mass of 10kg and block Y has a mass of 5.0kg. An applied force of 36 N
acts on block X.
a) Calculate the action-reaction forces the blocks exert on each other.
b) Suppose the magnitudes of the force of friction on the blocks X and Y are 8.0 N and 4.0 N respectively. Calculate the action-reaction forces the blocks exert on each other.

Homework Equations

Fnet = am (a = acceleration, m = mass, Fnet = net force)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm kind of lost... I know what Newton's third law states, however, and I understand that - it makes perfect sense. I just am unsure of what variables I need to find and what steps to take to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The action-reaction forces the blocks exert on each other is the rope tension. Calculate it by using your relevant equation, first looking at the system as a whole, and then looking at a free body diagram of each crate.

Related to Newton's third law and friction

What is Newton's third law?

Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that whenever one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

How does this law relate to friction?

In terms of friction, Newton's third law means that when two surfaces are in contact with each other, they will both experience a force of friction in opposite directions. For example, when you try to slide a book across a table, the book exerts a force on the table in one direction while the table exerts an equal and opposite force on the book in the opposite direction, resulting in friction.

Can friction ever be eliminated?

No, friction cannot be completely eliminated. It is a natural force that occurs whenever two surfaces are in contact with each other. However, it can be reduced through techniques such as lubrication or using smoother surfaces.

How does the coefficient of friction affect Newton's third law?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how easily two surfaces slide against each other. It affects Newton's third law by determining the magnitude of the force of friction between the two surfaces. A higher coefficient of friction means a greater force of friction and vice versa.

Can Newton's third law be applied to all types of friction?

Yes, Newton's third law applies to all types of friction, including static, kinetic, and rolling friction. In each case, the two surfaces in contact will experience equal and opposite forces of friction due to the law of action and reaction.