Newton's Third Law and Tractor Movement

In summary, a tractor pulling a load behind it by a rope moves because of the interaction between multiple forces, including the force of the tractor on the ground and the force of the load on the tractor. As for the second question, if two people pull on a fishline with a force of 400N each in opposite directions, the line will not break as the total force exerted on the line is only 800N, which is less than the breaking point of 600N. The strength of the force exerted on the tractor and the load depends on multiple factors, such as the direction and magnitude of the force applied.
agentsanta

Homework Statement

A tractor is pulling a heavy weight behind it by a rope. If, according to Newton's third law, the load is pulling back as hard as the tractor is pulling forward, then why does the tractor move?

Something else I don't really get:
A fishline will break when a force of more than 600n is exerted on it. Two people pull on the line in opposite directions with a force of 400n each. Will the line break?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, I assume that if the tractor moves forward with a force of 100n, the weight will just pull back 100n, canceling out any movement.
For the second question...I don't even know how to start
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, and thanks in advance =D

Physics news on Phys.org
You had really better go back to the first one if you concluded tractors can't move. They do. I've seen them. Are the only forces involved between the tractor and the thing it's pulling? Isn't there a third body involved??

agentsanta said:
For the first question, I assume that if the tractor moves forward with a force of 100n, the weight will just pull back 100n, canceling out any movement.
For the second question...I don't even know how to start
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, and thanks in advance =D

The tractor cannot "move forward with a force of 100n". A force is something applied by an object to another object. So what object is the tractor applying force to?

errrr
I'm not really sure to be honest
I'm assuming the tractor is applying force to the ground
So if the tractor exerts 100n onto the ground and the ground pushes the tractor 100n forward? Then the tractor exerts force on the load right? But wouldn't the load pull back with the exact same force and stop the tractor? And yes -.- i do know that tractors move

agentsanta said:
errrr
I'm not really sure to be honest
I'm assuming the tractor is applying force to the ground
So if the tractor exerts 100n onto the ground and the ground pushes the tractor 100n forward? Then the tractor exerts force on the load right?

Yes and yes.

But wouldn't the load pull back with the exact same force and stop the tractor?

No. Why would it? Newton's laws say that if the tractor applies 100N to the ground, the ground applies 100N to the tractor. Similarly, if the tractor applies force F to the load, the load applies force F to the tractor. There's no reason why F has to be 100N, and as you discovered, it can't be if the tractor were to move.

So,
tractor applies 100n to ground
ground applies 100n to tractor
tractor applies Xn to load
load applies Xn to tractor in opposite direction
X doesn't equal 100n
Is the above correct?
Sorry >.> I'm not very good at this stuff and I don't have a teacher
What would affect the strength of X?

Tractor pushes ground in a backwards direction at 200N. Ground pushes tractor forward at 200N. Tractor pulls load forward at 100N. Load pulls tractor back at 100N. Total force on tractor is 100N forward, right?

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's laws of motion apply to everyday life?

Newton's laws of motion can be seen in everyday life through actions such as pushing a shopping cart (first law), throwing a ball (second law), and walking (third law). They also explain the principles behind car crashes, sports, and other physical activities.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to Newton's laws of motion?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. In Newton's second law, mass is directly proportional to acceleration, while weight is not explicitly mentioned.

4. How did Newton's laws of motion change the way we understand the world?

Newton's laws of motion revolutionized the way we understand the physical world and laid the foundation for classical mechanics. They provided a mathematical explanation for the motion of objects and helped predict and understand the behavior of objects in motion.

5. Are there any limitations to Newton's laws of motion?

While Newton's laws of motion are accurate in most cases, they do have limitations. They do not apply to objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light or to objects that are very small (such as subatomic particles). Additionally, they do not account for the effects of air resistance and friction, which can impact the motion of objects in the real world.