Newton's Third Law: Explaining Why You Can't Lift Yourself

In summary: If you're going to use Newton's Third Law to explain why you can't pull yourself up by your shoelaces, you need to do it correctly.
astrololo

Homework Statement

I need to explain why I can't lift myself by pulling my shoes' laces.

Homework Equations

Newton's third law

The Attempt at a Solution

My explanation is that by pulling on your laces, there is always going to be a force that goes against your force, so this is why you can't pull yourself up. (So we're using NEwton's third as an explanation) Is this correct ?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
astrololo said:

Homework Statement

I need to explain why I can't lift myself by pulling my shoes' laces.

The Attempt at a Solution

My explanation is that by pulling on your laces, there is always going to be a force that goes against your force, so this is why you can't pull yourself up. (So we're using NEwton's third as an explanation) Is this correct ?[/B]

No this is not correct. Let me rephrase your answer in a way that might help you see this.

You pull up on your laces, your laces pull down on you. One of these two forces (they're an action/reaction pair) is on your shoe laces. The other is on you. Since the forces act on different objects, they can't cancel each other out. For two forces to be able to cancel each other they would need to act on the same object.

I think they may be looking for a little more detail than that. Your hands exert an upwards force on the shoelaces. What is the opposite force to that? What exerts it, and upon what? How does that opposite force end up eventually countering the lift? There's an old song about Ezekiel and bones that may help with this.

Mister T said:
No this is not correct. Let me rephrase your answer in a way that might help you see this.

You pull up on your laces, your laces pull down on you. One of these two forces (they're an action/reaction pair) is on your shoe laces. The other is on you. Since the forces act on different objects, they can't cancel each other out. For two forces to be able to cancel each other they would need to act on the same object.
Sorry, I didn't phrase correctly what I meant. But is what you wrote the explanation for why I cna't pull myself ?

astrololo said:
Sorry, I didn't phrase correctly what I meant. But is what you wrote the explanation for why I cna't pull myself ?

No, of course it's not. I merely explained why your answer was wrong. You said that two equal-but-opposite forces produce a net force of zero. An action/reaction pair of of forces can never produce a net force of zero because they act on different objects.

What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

Why can't you lift yourself?

According to Newton's Third Law, when you try to lift yourself, you are exerting a force on your body. However, your body is also exerting an equal and opposite force back on you. This results in a net force of zero, making it impossible for you to lift yourself.

Does Newton's Third Law only apply to lifting objects?

No, Newton's Third Law applies to all interactions between objects. For example, when you push a door, the door pushes back on you with an equal and opposite force. This is why the door opens in the opposite direction of your push.

What are some real-life examples of Newton's Third Law?

Some examples of Newton's Third Law in action include: a rocket launching into space as the engine exerts a force on the ground, a person jumping off a diving board as the board exerts an equal and opposite force on the person, and a swimmer pushing against the water to move forward as the water pushes back with an equal force.

How does Newton's Third Law relate to the concept of momentum?

Newton's Third Law is closely related to the concept of momentum, which is the product of an object's mass and velocity. According to Newton's Third Law, when two objects interact, they both experience equal and opposite forces. This means that the momentum of each object remains the same, as the forces cancel each other out. This is known as the conservation of momentum.