Ngine running at 900 RPM to power a generator

In summary, when using an engine running at 900 RPM to power a generator that needs to run at 1800 RPM, the torque will be halved but the same amount of energy will be transferred, resulting in the same horsepower. This is assuming the same engine is used and there is no significant energy loss in the pulley. This is backed up by the equation Torque = Watts/ (2xpi x revs per sec) in Nm.
Josh111
I am trying to use an engine running at 900 RPM to power a generator that needs to run at 1800 RPM ( This will go through a pulley)

My question is is half the available horsepower to the generator lost since the RPM's are doubled?
In other words, do I need to double the horsepower of the engine to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't think so. The RPM's are doubled, so the torque is halved, but I think the same amount of energy will be transferred, so you will have the same horsepower. Aside from the energy lost in the pulley (depending on its efficiency), I think the same engine will still work.

Thanks Airman.

I would still like someone to back me up on that. Does it sound right to the rest of you?

Airman,

Yes you are correct, the faster pulley will half the torque but the motor torque will remain the same.

Torque = Watts/ (2xpi x revs per sec) in Nm

the rest of your answer is correct also.

Related to Ngine running at 900 RPM to power a generator

1. How does an engine running at 900 RPM power a generator?

An engine running at 900 RPM (revolutions per minute) is typically connected to a generator through a belt or shaft. As the engine rotates, it turns the generator's rotor, which then induces an electrical current in the generator's stator. This current is then used to power various electrical devices.

2. Is 900 RPM a common speed for engines used to power generators?

Yes, 900 RPM is a common speed for engines used to power generators. This speed is often used in smaller generators, such as portable or standby generators, as it strikes a balance between power output and fuel efficiency.

3. What factors can affect an engine's RPM and its ability to power a generator?

Several factors can affect an engine's RPM and its ability to power a generator, including the size and type of engine, the load on the generator, and the quality and type of fuel being used. Regular maintenance and proper tuning can also play a role in the engine's performance.

4. Can an engine running at 900 RPM power a large generator?

It depends on the size and power requirements of the generator. While 900 RPM may be sufficient for smaller generators, larger generators may require a higher RPM to generate enough power. In general, the larger the generator, the higher the required RPM.

5. Are there any benefits to an engine running at 900 RPM to power a generator?

Yes, there are several benefits to an engine running at 900 RPM to power a generator. It typically results in a quieter operation, as the engine is not running at high speeds. It can also lead to increased fuel efficiency and longer engine life, as the engine is not working as hard and experiencing less wear and tear.