Nice lunar and planetary conjunction

In summary: I just went outside and looked at the sky. Venus and Jupiter are close together, and Callisto, Io, and Jupiter are all visible.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
the Moon is currently very close to Venus and Jupiter in the sky
this pic I did last nite 20-6-2015
Tonite the Moon will have moved eastwards ( to the right) and will be directly above Jupiter

2015_06_20_3943-1sm.jpg
cheers
Dave

Likes Drakkith
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I see you have the classic 'Nebulus Cloudus' in the lower left, the bane of astronomers everywhere!

Likes davenn
Drakkith said:
I see you have the classic 'Nebulus Cloudus' in the lower left, the bane of astronomers everywhere!

haha yup, I just got in before the sky was obscured

its pretty cloudy and occasional drizzle at the moment ( mid sunday afternoon) don't know if I will get some pix tonite or not ?

Tonite the moon will be directly above Jupiter There is also a chance of aurora ...but the cloud cover may well halt viewing

Aurora? What's your latitude?

Drakkith said:
Aurora? What's your latitude?

32 south

went out on Thursday nite but unfortunately the geomagnetic storm intensity didn't get enough to bring the aurora above my southern horizon

a couple of mornings earlier it did ~ 4 am local time I was sound asleep. There were several people in the Sydney region that saw it

a pic from a fellow aurora observer ( Rudi Vavra) on the east coast about 50 km S of Sydney city

20150623 0400EST Kiama Aurora by Rudi Vavra.jpg
cheers
Dave

Likes OmCheeto, Andy Resnick and Drakkith
Venus and Jupiter are even closer than that pic of a week ago

It's been rainy here for 5 straight weeks... apparently I now live in Wales.

Likes Drakkith
ahh OK Andy,

I saw them on Monday nite ... very close,, wasn't in a position to photo them ... was totally cloudy last nite

Just went out and looked.
Very cool.
:smile:

Likes davenn
OmCheeto said:
Just went out and looked.
Very cool.
:smile:

Completely clouded over here... :cry:

Drakkith said:
Completely clouded over here... :cry:

My condolences.

But, like Plato once said, it's all just images. Or something like that.

APOD shared a picture from last year.
It looks quite the same.

VenusJupiterIsoladElba_DeRosa1024.jpg

Though, I have a new appreciation, of celestial events, as of, recently.

The universe, is, quite wonderful, to say the least.

ps. I follow a multitude of west coast photographers. So, I may have something new to share, in the morning. Ciao!

Likes davenn
cool pic, Om nice one :smile:

from last nite ( Wednesday 1st July)
I have never seen Venus and Jupiter so close in the sky before ... actually I think this is the closest I have ever seen any 2 or 3 combinations of planets
VERY cool ... 400mm telephoto, f5.6, 5000 ISO, 10th sec exp, 100% crop ( ie. view pic at full size and crop image to fit screen)

20150701 venus-jupiter.jpg

even 3 of the 4 brightest moons of Jupiter were visible
from lower left to upper right

Callisto, Io, Jupiter, GanymedeDave

Likes Andy Resnick and OmCheeto

What is a lunar and planetary conjunction?

A lunar and planetary conjunction occurs when the moon and a planet appear close to each other in the sky, as viewed from Earth. This is a result of their orbits around the sun and the relative positions of the Earth, moon, and planet at a certain time.

When can I see a nice lunar and planetary conjunction?

The timing and visibility of a lunar and planetary conjunction depends on the specific positions of the moon and planet in their orbits. However, they typically occur a few times a year and can be seen in the evening or early morning sky.

Which planets are involved in a nice lunar and planetary conjunction?

The planets involved in a lunar and planetary conjunction can vary, but the most common ones are Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn. These are the brightest planets in the night sky and are more easily visible during a conjunction.

Do lunar and planetary conjunctions have any scientific significance?

Although lunar and planetary conjunctions are visually stunning, they do not have any direct scientific significance. However, studying their patterns and occurrences can provide valuable information about the movements and interactions of celestial bodies in our solar system.

How can I photograph a nice lunar and planetary conjunction?

To photograph a lunar and planetary conjunction, you will need a camera with manual settings and a tripod. It is also helpful to have a telephoto lens to capture more detail. Find a location with minimal light pollution, set your camera to a low ISO and long exposure, and experiment with different settings to capture the best image.