Nichrome heater - Heat transfer through conductors?

In summary, the author is working on a device that will include an air pump and heater. He is concerned about the nichrome wire's connection to the circuit and how much of a problem it may be. He plans to use high gauge nichrome and a thermal fuse.
jerbo
I am working to build a device that includes an air pump and heater. The pump will push air through a tube at the end of which will be a heater element. After doing some research, it seems that Nichrome is the standard heating wire for hobbies. I'm planning to have the heater in a glass-section of the tube.

My concern lies in the nichrome's connection to the circuit -- first, solder I assume is a bad idea since the heater's temperature could be over 400 C, so I will use crimp-terminals. Still, isn't there a problem with heat conducting beyond the heater and through the connecting wires, and how much of a problem is it?

My plan is to use high gauge nichrome, 28AWG or higher, on a 12V circuit. It is likely that the heater will be on for an extended period of time.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This sounds like some commercial devices. Hair dryers and fan room heaters do this.

Although a lot of heat is generated, the actual temperature isn't usually enough to cause the wire to glow red. This is because the heat is carried away in the air stream.

So, the problem may not be all that bad.
If you have wire with suitable high temperature insulation, the wire will get hot but not hot enough to cause a problem, provided there is a reasonable distance between the heater and anything likely to be damaged by heat.

You can probably still get ceramic terminal blocks, so you could use these instead of cheap plastic ones. These are electrical insulators, but reasonable conductors of heat so they might bypass some of the heat to whatever metal surface they are mounted on.

It is easy to obtain a short length of high temperature connecting lead to put between the element and the actual supply lead. It exists either with silicone sleeving or, for higher temperatures, a kind of woven insulation (you find it in fan ovens, for connecting the elements, for instance).
A 400 degree thermal fuse might also be a good idea. These are also available from places like Maplin and could save your house from going up in flames!

1. What is Nichrome heater and how does it work?

Nichrome heater is a type of heating element made from a nickel-chromium alloy. It works by converting electrical energy into heat energy through resistance, which causes the wires to heat up and transfer heat to the surrounding environment.

2. How does heat transfer occur in Nichrome heaters?

Heat transfer in Nichrome heaters occurs through conduction, which is the transfer of heat through a solid material. The heat generated by the heater is transferred to the surrounding air or object through direct contact.

3. What factors affect the heat transfer efficiency of Nichrome heaters?

The efficiency of heat transfer in Nichrome heaters depends on several factors, including the length and thickness of the heating element, the material and surface area of the object being heated, and the temperature difference between the heater and the surrounding environment.

4. How can the heat transfer rate of a Nichrome heater be increased?

The heat transfer rate of a Nichrome heater can be increased by increasing the surface area of the heating element, reducing its length and thickness, and increasing the temperature difference between the heater and the surrounding environment. Additionally, using a fan or other forced convection methods can also improve the heat transfer rate.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using Nichrome heaters?

As with any electrical device, there are safety concerns when using Nichrome heaters. It is important to follow proper installation and usage guidelines to prevent overheating or potential fire hazards. It is also important to regularly check and maintain the heater to ensure its safe and efficient operation.