Night vision based on OLED technology

In summary, there is new night vision technology being developed by scientists from Florida university, Do Young Kim and Franki So, that uses a thin OLED-based image intensifier. This technology has the potential to replace bulky and expensive IR amplifiers and could be used on a mass scale for various purposes. The device is similar to plastic OLED and consists of a graphene layer acting as a sensor and seven layers that amplify the signal. It is not clear when this technology will be mass produced, but the researcher can be contacted directly for more information. Similar claims have been made in the past but have not been successful.
sauroman1
Hello, I started this topic to discuss interesting new night vision technology that was presented on TED talks. Old, expensive and bulky IR (or other light spectrum) IIT amplifier could be replaced with very thin OLED based, cheaper and low power consuming image intensifier which was developed by scientists of Florida university Do Young Kim and Franki So. Because of that they could be used in mass scale not only by military but for cars, surveillance, cameras and almost eliminate need for artificial light.
I don't know when in the future this sort of NV will be mass produced but I want to get my hands this technology soon. Is it very sophisticated device to manufacture? As much as I read device is similar to plastic OLED, device consists of: graphene layer acting as sensor and seven layers that amplify signal, eventually phosphorus layer hit by electrons produces image. Is that correct?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYnVN0ZfTsI

Engineering news on Phys.org
I already wrote to Franki So by email, but still got no reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does night vision based on OLED technology work?

Night vision based on OLED (organic light-emitting diode) technology works by using thin layers of organic materials that emit light when an electric current is applied. This light is then amplified by a photodetector and displayed on a screen, allowing the user to see in low light or dark environments.

2. What are the advantages of using OLED technology for night vision?

OLED technology offers several advantages for night vision, including a wider viewing angle, faster response time, and higher contrast and resolution compared to traditional night vision technologies. It also has a lower power consumption, making it more efficient and longer lasting.

3. Is night vision based on OLED technology safe for the eyes?

Yes, night vision based on OLED technology is considered safe for the eyes. Unlike other night vision technologies that use bright infrared light, OLED technology emits a low level of visible light that is not harmful to the eyes. However, it is still recommended to use caution and not stare directly into the screen for extended periods of time.

4. Can night vision based on OLED technology be used in any lighting condition?

While OLED technology is more sensitive to light compared to traditional night vision technologies, it still requires some ambient light to function properly. It is not recommended for use in complete darkness, but can be used in low light or dimly lit environments.

5. What are the potential applications for night vision based on OLED technology?

Night vision based on OLED technology has a wide range of potential applications, including military and law enforcement operations, surveillance and security, wildlife observation, and even consumer products such as night vision goggles and cameras. It can also be used in medical and scientific research for imaging in low light conditions.