Night vision technology vs thermal imaging

In summary: LOL)In summary, night vision goggles use either light amplification or thermal imaging technology. Light amplification systems do not require an artificial light source and can only work in low light conditions. They have no distance limitations and produce greenish images. Thermal imaging systems detect far-infrared emitted by objects with high enough temperature, and do not need an illumination source. However, they have lower resolution and can only be used in complete darkness. Some NV devices also use near-infrared, which requires an artificial light source. These devices have lower resolution and are cheaper to make. The low resolution is due to the noise in the uncooled microbolometer sensors used.
fog37
TL;DR Summary
understanding night vision technology vs thermal imaging
Hello Everyone,

I have a thermal imager and I am interested in better understanding night vision (NV) technology. Apparently, NV goggles respond to NIR and SW
See this article. NV goggles can see from the near infrared (NIR) to the shortwave infrared (SWIR) portions of the light spectrum.

Do NV goggles work in complete darkness or always need some minimum level of ambient light (like from the moon)?
Why do the NV goggles capture NIR? The human body emits primarily in the far-infrared (FIR) which is detected and imaged by thermal imagers. I guess the human body emits also some NIR and SWIR...

Anyone with some experience with NV goggles?

Thanks for any comment.

Computer science news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
Do NV goggles work in complete darkness or always need some minimum level of ambient light (like from the moon)?
Night vision goggles need an artificial source of illumination if you're trying to generate images in real-time (video cameras, wearable goggles, etc). Still images can be taken with only natural illumination, but they would have to be very long exposures and depend on the availability of said illumination sources, so they would be hard to make when the weather is poor or the Moon is not visible.

fog37 said:
Why do the NV goggles capture NIR?
You can make night vision sensors using similar methods and materials to visible light sensors, so they are relatively cheap to make and they have comparable resolution to visible light cameras. You just need an illumination source usually. Many home security systems that use a night vision camera have the illumination built into the camera itself.

Thermal imaging sensors, as far as I remember, are very different from visible and NIR sensors and have much worse resolution. But, they obviously have an advantage that they don't need an illumination source.

fog37 said:
The human body emits primarily in the far-infrared (FIR) which is detected and imaged by thermal imagers. I guess the human body emits also some NIR and SWIR...
The human body emits virtually no NIR. It's simply not hot enough.

Likes Oldman too and fog37
fog37 said:

A type of night vision is based on near-IR: this requires (artificial) near IR light illumination. Most surveillance cameras are based on this, since it's cheap.
Cheap, but needs a near IR source: also, while the objects closer are visible, but the background remains dark.
Pretty much like a torchlight with 'invisible' light. Nothing to do with real 'thermal', actually.
maxresdefault.jpg

A different type of NV is based in light amplification. This does not require any artificial light, since it's just amplifying the (visible) light already present. Though this does not work in complete darkness. On the other hand, this has no distance limits.
w=0&h=r3h78L5Ro7NZjeFNhUIF3lCE6_XS8W2ZWr1r68sHxn4=.jpg

Third type of NV is based on actual thermal imaging.
hermal-CompactXR-%E2%80%93-Outdoor-Thermal-Imaging.jpg

• Informative
Likes hutchphd, Oldman too, FactChecker and 2 others
Thanks Drakkith and Rive. Let me paraphrase if ok to make sure I get it:

-Thermal imagers: they detected far-infrared (FIR) emitted by objects with a high enough temperature T to emit mostly in the FIR region.

- NV systems:
a) Light amplification based NV systems which don't need any artificial light as they amplify the low level (visible) ambient light. Complete darkness = no light to amplify. The ambient light available at night is provided by the start and the moon. The light reflected by the moon has the same spectrum as sunlight. So no NIR is used in this technology. The images produces by NV system are greenish. No distance limits. These systems also detect the NIR available in the nocturnal light. The nature article I found show the spectra of night and twilight (https://www.nature.com/articles/srep26756.pdf):
1648759834571.png

I read that there are 4 generations on NVD: at gen 4 NVD (gen 0,1,2,3) that don't need an IR illuminator. This article talks about it in detail: https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.2478/s11772-013-0089-3/pdfb) NV devices that use NIR (700nm -1000nm, correct?): these systems need a source of NIR (IR illuminator) that illuminates the object with NIR (not visible by our eyes). The object then reflects the NIR and the reflected NIR is detected by the onboard NIR sensor. Why NIR? NIR is very close to visible in terms of wavelength when compared to FIR. NIR sources and NIR detector are cheap... I think these are called Gen 0 devices: the unit projects a beam of near-infrared light. Invisible to the naked eye, this beam reflects off objects and bounces back to the lens of the NVD.

Thank again!

Likes Rive and Drakkith
Rive said:
Third type of NV is based on actual thermal imaging.
mal-compactxr-e2-80-93-outdoor-thermal-imaging-jpg.jpg
Sorry, no experience with goggles, but I worked on a machine vision project last year that used an IR camera for crowd analysis, it gave results like @Rive's example photo. I was surprised by the low resolution - 320 * 320 pixels, nowhere near what people expect from even a basic phone camera these days - but to get high resolution images required a very expensive upgrade. What was harder work than we expected was integrating the camera into the NVIDIA Jetson Nano systems that we installed on-premise. But it was proper IR, it did not need an illumination source and it provided additional information to the visual light cameras that the machine learning algo could use to assist with the counting process.

• Informative
Likes fog37 and FactChecker
Melbourne Guy said:
I was surprised by the low resolution - 320 * 320 pixels, nowhere near what people expect from even a basic phone camera these days - but to get high resolution images required a very expensive upgrade.
I think it has something to do with the noise of these uncooled microbolometer sensors (I assume that's what type it was). According to wiki, their design makes them far more susceptible to noise at small pixel sizes compared to cooled thermal cameras. And large pixels usually means less resolution.

• Informative
Likes fog37, Melbourne Guy and FactChecker
Drakkith said:
I think it has something to do with the noise of these uncooled microbolometer sensors
I'd have to pull the spec sheet to recall the sensor type, but yes, @Drakkith, noise was a real problem. In our testing, the ML could tell an object was a person, but that was about it, such was the limited discrimination of the images. (Training the machine was also tedious because it is hard to find pre-existing IR models of the kind we needed, but now I'm rowing hard in the opposite direction of the OP, so that's all I'll say about that!).

It did make me wonder about the practicality of low cost IR goggles, though. It's a blurry view of the world, so I guess it would be okay in very dark environments, but you'd still be likely to trip over things because small objects would be hard to make out as you moved.

Likes fog37 and Drakkith
Melbourne Guy said:
low cost IR goggles
On the market, the business name and the principle it's working with is not necessarily fits each other. A 'low cost IR goggle' is usually some night vision stuff, based on an image amplifier: or some IR sensitive camera with illumination. No real IR (in sense of thermal) there.

Ps.: things are worse than I've thought. For example on Amazon, practically everything I've just found below $400 is a cheap camera + IR torchlight. And a screen. With deceptive description and questionable quality...
The first real thermal thing is at $550, with resolution of 160*120...
Things with an actual image intensifier seems to start above $1000, but often has no price displayed and comes with US export restriction...

Last edited:
Likes fog37, Drakkith and Melbourne Guy

1. What is the difference between night vision technology and thermal imaging?

Night vision technology and thermal imaging are two different methods of seeing in low light or dark environments. Night vision technology amplifies the existing light to improve visibility, while thermal imaging captures the heat emitted by objects to create an image.

2. Which technology is better for seeing in complete darkness?

Thermal imaging is better for seeing in complete darkness because it does not rely on ambient light. It captures the heat emitted by objects, making it effective even in pitch-black conditions.

3. Can these technologies be used together?

Yes, it is possible to use night vision technology and thermal imaging together. This is known as fusion imaging, where the two images are combined to provide a more comprehensive view of the surroundings.

4. Is one technology more expensive than the other?

Thermal imaging technology is generally more expensive than night vision technology. This is because thermal cameras use more advanced technology and are often used in specialized industries such as military and law enforcement.

5. What are the main applications of night vision technology and thermal imaging?

Night vision technology is commonly used in military operations, law enforcement, and hunting. Thermal imaging is often used in industries such as firefighting, search and rescue, and building inspections. Both technologies also have applications in the medical field, such as for diagnosing certain medical conditions.