Nilpotent Matrices: Invertibility and Transpose Proof

In summary, we can say that nilpotent matrices are not invertible and their determinants are always 0. To prove this, we can assume that I-A is not invertible and proceed with the proof.
tom_jerry122

Homework Statement

A. Are nilpotent matrices invertible ? Prove your answer.

B. If A is nilpotent, what can you say about (A)^τ ? Prove your answer.

C. If A is nilpotent, show I-A is invertible.

Homework Equations

NONE

The Attempt at a Solution

A. I know invertible matrix are - AB = BA = I

B. I took a nilpotent matrix
A = [ 0 1
0 0 ]
Its transpose is -
(A)^τ = [ 0 0
1 0 ]
And the transpose is still a nilpotent matrix because
(A^τ)^2 = [ 0 0
0 0 ]
But I don't know if its true for all and it says prove your answer.

C. No idea

Physics news on Phys.org
A matrix is invertible if and only if it has non-zero determinant. What can you say about the determinant of a nilpotent matrix?
C. You could prove this by assuming it is false i.e. I-A is not invertible and then proceeding.

Oster said:
A matrix is invertible if and only if it has non-zero determinant. What can you say about the determinant of a nilpotent matrix?
C. You could prove this by assuming it is false i.e. I-A is not invertible and then proceeding.

A nilpotent matrix has determinant 0 since its diagonals are all 0 (Eigen values are 0). So the inverse would be 0 too .

1. What is a nilpotent matrix?

A nilpotent matrix is a square matrix where all of its powers eventually become the zero matrix.

2. How can I prove that a matrix is nilpotent?

To prove that a matrix is nilpotent, you need to show that it satisfies the condition where its powers eventually become the zero matrix. This can be done through various methods, such as finding the characteristic polynomial and showing that all of its eigenvalues are equal to zero.

3. What is the significance of nilpotent matrices in linear algebra?

Nilpotent matrices are important in linear algebra because they can be used to study the structure and behavior of other types of matrices, such as diagonalizable matrices and invertible matrices. They also have applications in areas such as differential equations and graph theory.

4. Can a nilpotent matrix have non-zero entries?

Yes, a nilpotent matrix can have non-zero entries. It only needs to satisfy the condition that all of its powers eventually become the zero matrix. This means that even if it has non-zero entries, they will eventually become zero when the matrix is raised to a high enough power.

5. How are nilpotent matrices used in real-world applications?

Nilpotent matrices are used in various real-world applications, such as in computer graphics for geometric transformations and in physics for studying systems with exponential decay. They also have applications in electrical engineering for analyzing circuits and in chemistry for modeling chemical reactions.