Nima Arkani-Hamed's opinion on Many Worlds?

In summary, it seems that Nima Arkani-Hamed is open to the possibility of the Many Worlds interpretation being true, but does not necessarily support it. He has expressed that it is a mistake to draw conclusions about his view on many-world interpretations based on his view on the multiverse, and that it is best to ask him directly for his opinion on the matter. Additionally, it is not uncommon for ideas in physics to be considered true physically, but not applicable to real life situations.
Suekdccia
TL;DR Summary
Nima Arkani-Hamed's opinion on Many Worlds?
I am writing a blog about physics and one of the sections is about the different interpretations of quantum mechanics and some of its supporters.

I was wondering what was the opinion of the physicist Nima Arkani-Hamed towards the Many Worlds interpretation...

I ask this because I found somewhat contradictory situations about his opinion on the subject. On the one hand, he is open to the possibility of the multiverse being true (and he does not make distinctions, so there is no reason why he would reject a many-world like model) and he also made a few talks where he proposed that there is no wavefunction collapse () a key assunption in many worlds...

However, in this reddit post () a user indicated that he thought that physicist Arkani Hamed said in an interview that Many Worlds interpretation was true but "obviously not in real life"...

It seems a bit confusing since I thought he was a strong Many Worlds supporter (and now I am not sure) so I find strange that he said that this interpretation is obviously not correct in the real life. Is he open to the possibility of it being true? Does he support it?

• Wow
Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like the reddit user needs professional help, to be honest. Also, the claim by the user doesn't necessarily reflect fact (note your use of 'he thought that'). You can think a lot of things - whether they're true or not is another story. I suggest looking for better references to back up claims/support your questions.

I don't have much to contribute to an answer to the question. I will just say that it seems to me a mistake to take someone's view about the multiverse (i.e. a view about cosmology) and draw any conclusions about their view on many-world interpretations (i.e. a view about quantum interpretations).

The OP could always go straight to the source and ask this particular person what his view on the many-worlds interpretation is. He'd be in a better position to answer.

I see nothing strange in the idea that MWI is true physically, but not in real life. Many ideas in physics are naturally thought of as true physically, but not in real life. Here are some examples:
- Behavior of matter, including the behavior of human beings, is not governed by goals in the future.
- Behavior of matter is neither good nor bad, it doesn't have any ethical value.
- Matter governed by deterministic or probabilistic laws of physics does not have free will. (Deterministic behavior is not free, while random behavior cannot have will.)

1. What is Nima Arkani-Hamed's opinion on Many Worlds?

Nima Arkani-Hamed is a theoretical physicist and has not publicly expressed a specific opinion on Many Worlds, also known as the Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics. He has, however, discussed the topic in various lectures and interviews, stating that it is a valid interpretation of quantum mechanics but that he personally prefers the Copenhagen Interpretation.

2. How does Many Worlds differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

Many Worlds is a controversial interpretation of quantum mechanics that suggests that every time a quantum event occurs, the universe splits into multiple parallel universes, each representing a different outcome of that event. This is in contrast to the Copenhagen Interpretation, which suggests that the observer plays a role in collapsing the wave function and determining the outcome of the event.

3. Does Nima Arkani-Hamed's research support Many Worlds?

Nima Arkani-Hamed has not conducted research specifically on Many Worlds. However, his research in theoretical physics has contributed to our understanding of quantum mechanics and the underlying principles that inform interpretations such as Many Worlds.

4. What are the criticisms of Many Worlds?

Many Worlds is a highly debated interpretation of quantum mechanics, and there are several criticisms of it. Some argue that it is untestable and therefore not a scientific theory. Others argue that it is unnecessarily complex and introduces an infinite number of universes without evidence. Some also criticize it for not adequately explaining the role of consciousness in quantum events.

5. How does Nima Arkani-Hamed's work relate to Many Worlds?

As a theoretical physicist, Nima Arkani-Hamed's work is focused on understanding the fundamental principles of the universe, including quantum mechanics. While he has not directly studied Many Worlds, his research has contributed to our understanding of quantum mechanics and the various interpretations of it, including Many Worlds.