No CP-Violation for coinciding Quark-Masses

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between quark masses and CP-violation in the standard model. It is stated that if two quarks with the same mass coincide, it results in unphysical rotations and the Jarlskog invariant becomes zero, leading to no CP violation. The CKM-matrix and its complex phase are also mentioned, with a comment that it can be set to zero using an additional U(2) symmetry. The conversation also touches upon the work of A. Pich, who has written about this topic, and a T-shirt with the Jarlskog invariant worn by a well-known physicist, Jarlskog. The conversation concludes with a discussion about beautiful equations and the charm of Jarlskog
Aigologist
TL;DR Summary
How do hypothetically coinciding Quark-Masses affect CP-Symmetry
Hello everyone,
I know that if two of the quarks (e.g. strange & bottom) had coinciding masses, there would be no CP-violation in the standard model. Apparently the reason lies in the parameters of the CKM-matrix, but I don't understand how to show that. Can someone explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Likes dextercioby, ohwilleke, vanhees71 and 2 others
TLDR; If two masses coincide then rotations in that flavor subspace become unphysical. You can therefore set one of the mixing angles to zero which makes the Jarlskog invariant zero. (Ie, no CP violation if any mixing angle is zero)

Likes dextercioby, ohwilleke, vanhees71 and 2 others
In terms of say Kaon decays, you would have perfect cancellation between loop diagrams containing say u and c quarks if they had same mass. But perhaps that is more related to FCNC in the SM now that I think about it...

Before discussing why a statement is true, we need to determine if a statement is true,

Your statement is not true. Quark masses do not have to be non-degenerate. The u-type quarks need to have unique masses, and the d-type quarks need to have unique masses, but a u-type and d-type quark can have the same masses.

If two u (or d)-type quarks have the same mass, the choice of definition of the quarks is arbitrary. One can always rotate them in such a way that the CP-violating amplitude is zero. And since this is just a convention, if it's true for any definition, it's true for any definition.

A slightly more mathematical and Swedish definition is that the CP violation is proportional to the following invariant:

[tex]J = \cos \theta_{12} \cos^2 \theta_{13} \sin \theta_{12} \sin \theta_{13} \sin \theta_{23} \sin \delta[/tex]

If you have mass degeneracies, you can always define things so that J is zero by inspection.

Likes dextercioby, ohwilleke, vanhees71 and 1 other person
Orodruin said:
TLDR; If two masses coincide then rotations in that flavor subspace become unphysical. You can therefore set one of the mixing angles to zero which makes the Jarlskog invariant zero. (Ie, no CP violation if any mixing angle is zero)
I can see that the Jarlskog invariant is zero, but the CKM-Matrix would still have one complex phase, right? How is that not conflicting?

StiftungWarentest said:
CKM-Matrix would still have one complex phase, right? How is that not conflicting?
Write down an observable - any observable. You will find that it has no dependence on δ.

Likes vanhees71 and malawi_glenn
StiftungWarentest said:
I can see that the Jarlskog invariant is zero, but the CKM-Matrix would still have one complex phase, right? How is that not conflicting?
If two quarks with same electric charge have same mass, there is an additional U(2) symmetry, which you can use to set that phase to zero.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes arivero, vanhees71, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
StiftungWarentest said:
malawi_glenn said:
If two quarks with same electric charge have same mass, there is an additional U(2) symmetry, which you can use to set that phase to zero.
^^ What he said.

Likes vanhees71 and Aigologist
Vanadium 50 said:
Swedish definition
I've actually met her one time when I visited Lund 😍
Forgot to ask her to sign a printed copy of her famous paper. I think that was for the better, would have been pretty awkward.

Likes vanhees71
malawi_glenn said:
I've actually met her one time when I visited Lund 😍
Forgot to ask her to sign a printed copy of her famous paper. I think that was for the better, would have been pretty awkward.
With neutrino oscillations as my thesis topic, I met her on several occasions at seminars and conferences.

• Love
malawi_glenn said:
I've actually met her one time when I visited Lund
Orodruin said:
met her on several occasions at seminars and conferences.

She's very nice, no?

I was next to her on the #9 bus from CERN and I was advocating for Ray Davis to win the Nobel prize that year. He did. I tell myself that I was the deciding factor.😇

She also has a T-shirt with the Jarlskog invariant on it that her kids gave her.

Anyway, another way to say the same thing is that a general 3x3 CKM-like matrix has 3 (irremovable) angles and one phase. If you look at the special case where 2 generations can mix because they have the same mass and those states mix with the third, you only have two angles and no phase.

• Love
  • Informative
Likes vanhees71, Aigologist and malawi_glenn
Vanadium 50 said:
T-shirt with the Jarlskog invariant on it
And I only have those lame Higgs-potential and SM lagrangian ones :(

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
She's very nice, no?
Shi is. My wife (who has a PhD in particle physics too) met her at Nordita once and was absolutely charmed without knowing that it was Jarlskog.

Jarlskog’s talks are usually very full of flowers. I remember particularly one of her talks:
”I couldn’t make this equation beautiful no matter how hard I tried” *presses slide forward and flowers appear on slide*

• Love
Likes vanhees71, Vanadium 50 and malawi_glenn
malawi_glenn said:
and SM lagrangian one
The CERN one with the missing bar? :P

• Haha
Orodruin said:
The CERN one with the missing bar? :P
No I got it elsewhere. I have not proof read it yet. But if the CERN t-shirt is good enough for John Ellis its good enough for me

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
A slightly more mathematical and Swedish definition
I've never heard the term "Swedish definition" before. What does that mean?

I got it from Ikea. 🇸🇪

• Haha
Likes dextercioby, vanhees71, malawi_glenn and 1 other person
J is the Jarlskog invariant. Cecelia Jarlskog is from Sweden.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and ohwilleke
Vanadium 50 said:
J is the Jarlskog invariant. Cecelia Jarlskog is from Sweden.
Ah! That makes sense. Thought it might be a term of art I wasn't familiar with or something.

Vanadium 50 said:
Cecelia
Cecilia

The Greta Garbo of particle physics.

Likes ohwilleke

1. What is CP-violation?

CP-violation is a phenomenon in particle physics where the laws of physics do not remain the same when particles and their corresponding antiparticles are interchanged. This means that there is a fundamental difference between matter and antimatter, which violates the principle of CP-symmetry.

2. How does CP-violation relate to quark masses?

The masses of quarks are one of the factors that contribute to CP-violation. In the Standard Model of particle physics, CP-violation is explained through the differences in masses and weak interaction strengths of the quarks. However, it has been observed that the masses of certain quarks are very similar, leading to the question of whether CP-violation can occur in such cases.

3. What is the evidence for no CP-violation in coinciding quark masses?

Experimental data from various particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, have shown that there is no significant CP-violation in processes involving quarks with similar masses. This indicates that CP-violation is not solely dependent on the masses of quarks and other factors must be at play.

4. Why is it important to study CP-violation in quark masses?

Understanding CP-violation is crucial in explaining the asymmetry between matter and antimatter in the universe. If there was no CP-violation, matter and antimatter would have been created in equal amounts during the Big Bang, leading to their annihilation and the absence of our universe. By studying CP-violation in quark masses, we can gain insights into the fundamental laws of nature.

5. Are there any proposed theories to explain CP-violation in coinciding quark masses?

Several theories have been proposed to explain CP-violation in cases of similar quark masses, such as the existence of additional particles or interactions beyond the Standard Model. However, these theories are still being studied and require further experimental evidence to be confirmed.