No Physics Tutor Today so I'm Desperate

In summary, the conversation discusses a student trying to reach their physics tutor for help with a few questions. The first question asks if a coin will slide off a turntable that slowly speeds up to 60 rpm, and the second question asks for the force on a rider in an amusement park ride at the top and bottom of the ride. The conversation also mentions a collision between a soccer ball and a bowling ball, and the student asks for some guidance or starting points to solve these problems.
rooster_17
I have been trying to get a hold of my Physics tutor all morning, but he left for the week already the Veteran's Day Holiday cutting the week short and all anyway I only have a couple of questions left and could use some tutoring help on them so here goes:

1). A 5.0g coin is placed 15cm from the center of a turntable. The coin has static and kinetic coefficients of friction w/ the turntable surface of u_s = 0.80 and u_k = 0.50. The turntable very slowly speeds up to 60 rpm. Does the coin slide off?

-I know that the coin does not slide off but I am unsure of the method in which I came about that answer. Anyone have any ideas of how to determine that the coin does not slide off?

2). In an amusement park ride called the roundup passengers stand inside a 16-m-diameter rotating ring. After the ring has acquired sufficient speed it tilts into a vertical plane. Suppose the ring rotates once every 4.5sec. If a rider's mass in 55kg w/ how much force does the ring push on her at the top of the ride and at the bottom of the ride?

3). A soccer ball and a bowling ball roll across a hard floor and collide head on. Identify all action/reaction pairs during the time that the balls are in contact.

I know that these are maybe not the hardest questions in the world, but I am used to going through these probs step by step with classmates or my tutor. All I really need is a starting point and then I am usually good to go. So please if you have any useful information feel free to submit it.

Physics news on Phys.org
2). In an amusement park ride called the roundup passengers stand inside a 16-m-diameter rotating ring. After the ring has acquired sufficient speed it tilts into a vertical plane. Suppose the ring rotates once every 4.5sec. If a rider's mass in 55kg w/ how much force does the ring push on her at the top of the ride and at the bottom of the ride?
d = 16m, so r = 8m...
t = 4.5s
m = 55kg, and F = ?
F_c = m(v^2/r), and we know that v will be found by [2(Pi)(r)]/t
And solve..

Tutorless in Ellensburg, WA

Maybe something is wrong with my math, but I keep coming up with 319N at the top of the ride and 1400 at the bottom. Anyone else confirm this or tell me somethinig different? I'm all ears (or is it eyes?).

Show your work and we can check it out.

Related to No Physics Tutor Today so I'm Desperate

1) Why is it important to have a physics tutor?

Having a physics tutor can greatly improve your understanding of complex concepts and help you excel in your studies. They can provide personalized instruction and support, as well as help you develop problem-solving skills that are essential for success in the field of physics.

2) What should I do if my physics tutor is unavailable?

If your physics tutor is unavailable, it is important to take initiative and seek out other resources to help you study. This could include reaching out to classmates, utilizing online resources and practice problems, or seeking help from your professor or teaching assistant.

3) How can I stay on track with my studies without a physics tutor?

Without a physics tutor, it is important to stay organized and motivated. Create a study schedule and stick to it, review class notes and materials regularly, and seek help from other resources if needed. It may also be helpful to form a study group with classmates to stay on track.

4) Can I find a replacement physics tutor quickly?

It may be possible to find a replacement physics tutor quickly, but it is important to research and choose a tutor who is qualified and fits your specific needs. It may also be helpful to reach out to your school's tutoring center or department for recommendations.

5) Are there any alternative resources for physics help besides a tutor?

Yes, there are many alternative resources for physics help, such as online tutorials, practice problems, textbooks, and study groups. It is important to find the resources that work best for you and utilize them effectively to supplement your studies.