No prediction ever been wrong ?

• Thread starter lnsanity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prediction
In summary, there have been no known wrong predictions in quantum theory, but there have been some discrepancies in calculations at high speeds near the speed of light. However, this is an issue with the Standard Model, which is based on quantum mechanics. At extremely high energies, there may be new effects that are not yet fully understood. Additionally, the combination of quantum mechanics and the theory of gravitation is a difficult topic and may lead to further discrepancies. It is not clear how these two concepts can be fully integrated.
lnsanity
I read that no quantum theory prediction ever been wrong!

But I also read that at high speed (near light speed) the theory give wrong calculation result?

This seem contradictory to me ?

Is this theory only valid at slow speed ?

If someone traveling near speed of light in is ship doing experiment I suppose he will get no wrong prediction ? (right?)

So when is the prediction become wrong at near speed light? Only with outside observer?

Could someone explain ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Standard Model, which is a theory based on QM, makes some weird predictions about some processes at very high energies.

"Near speed of light" is not enogh - SM is queite accurate there
You need to really reach VERY high energies, 99.9999(dont know how many 9)% of light.

Again, don't blame QM - blame SM.

Only classical mechanics is limited to classic speeds. But there is relativistic quantum mechanics which works for high speeds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics#Relativity_and_quantum_mechanics
So this is not an issue.

However, it's not clear how to combine the theory of gravitation with the concepts of quantum mechanics. But that's quite a tough topic so I don't know details.

EDIT: Oh yeah. I heard at extremely high energies only found in cosmology there are new effects.

lnsanity said:
I read that no quantum theory prediction ever been wrong!

But I also read that at high speed (near light speed) the theory give wrong calculation result?

Where exactly did you read this?

Special Relativity has been incorporated into QM. It is why we have a relativistic quantum mechanics.

You either read something wrong, or you misunderstood something you read, or you read some crackpottery. Without giving us an exact source, none of us can tell.

Zz.

Related to No prediction ever been wrong ?

1. Why do scientists claim that no prediction has ever been wrong?

Scientists make this claim because all predictions are based on current understanding and available data. As our understanding and technology improve, predictions may be refined or corrected, but this does not necessarily mean that the original prediction was wrong. It simply means that our understanding has improved.

2. Can't a prediction be considered wrong if it doesn't come true?

While it may seem like a prediction is wrong if it doesn't come true, there are many factors that can influence the outcome of a prediction. These can include unforeseen events, incomplete data, or limitations in technology. A prediction should be evaluated based on the available evidence and reasoning behind it, rather than solely on whether it comes true or not.

3. Are there any examples of predictions that have been proven wrong?

There are certainly examples of predictions that have been proven wrong, but it's important to note that these are often based on outdated or incomplete information. As our understanding and technology advance, these predictions may be revised or corrected. It's also worth noting that even in cases where a prediction may seem to be wrong, it can still provide valuable insights and contribute to our overall understanding of a topic.

4. How do scientists ensure the accuracy of their predictions?

Scientists use a variety of methods to ensure the accuracy of their predictions. This can include conducting experiments, gathering and analyzing data, and using mathematical models and simulations. Additionally, scientists often collaborate and peer-review each other's work to identify any potential errors or biases in their predictions.

5. If predictions are not always accurate, why do we rely on them?

Predictions are an essential part of the scientific process and are crucial for advancing our understanding of the world. While they may not always be 100% accurate, they provide valuable insights and help guide future research and discovery. Additionally, as our technology and understanding continue to improve, predictions will become increasingly accurate and reliable.