The velocity of Pilot-wave and the Double slit experiment

In summary: The destructive (or constructive) interference is always achieved "behind" the photon and never in front of it. So how can the photon feel the pilot-wave interference?In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of the pilot wave theory and its relation to the deBroglie wave. The fundamental difference between the two is discussed, along with the confusion surrounding the double slit experiment and the velocity of the pilot wave. It is mentioned that the pilot wave is only an interpretation and may not fully explain the behavior of photons in the double slit experiment.
sha1000
Hello,

Its been a while since I'm trying to understand the concept of the pilot wave theory and it's relation with the deBroglie wave. What is the fundamental difference between the two?

My confusion comes from the double slit experiment. The velocity of the deBroglie wave is c^2/v so I assume that it must be the same for pilot wave (maybe it is this assumption which is wrong). In this case, the speed of the pilot wave of the photon is equal to c . But if the speed of the photon and its pilot wave is the same how can we get an interference pattern? As far as my logic goes the interference of the wave must build up in front of the photon (wave going faster than c). Am I wrong?

How one can explain this? Is the speed of the pilot wave greater than c? In this case the pilot wave is not the aame thing as the deBroglie wave since it doesn't obey the c^2/v relation.

I would be very grateful if someone can help me with this question.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
sha1000 said:
As far as my logic goes the interference of the wave must build up in front of the photon (wave going faster than c). Am I wrong?
Yes, you are wrong about that.

Likes sha1000
Demystifier said:
Yes, you are wrong about that.

Thank you for the response.

It's difficult for me to find the answer in the paper that you attached in your response.

So it is right to say that the photon and its pilot wave have the same velocity c (following the c^2/v relation)?

If that is the case, let us suppose that the photon is traveling at the wavefront of its pilot wave (since same speed). The pilot wave goes through two slits simultaneously, giving two "new" waves which originate from each slit. The photon passes through one of the slits and then continues to move at the wavefront.
The destructive (or constructive) interference is always achieved "behind" the photon and never in front of it. So how can the photon feel the pilot-wave interference?

sha1000 said:
Thank you for the response.

It's difficult for me to find the answer in the paper that you attached in your response.

So it is right to say that the photon and its pilot wave have the same velocity c (following the c^2/v relation)?

If that is the case, let us suppose that the photon is traveling at the wavefront of its pilot wave (since same speed). The pilot wave goes through two slits simultaneously, giving two "new" waves which originate from each slit. The photon passes through one of the slits and then continues to move at the wavefront.
The destructive (or constructive) interference is always achieved "behind" the photon and never in front of it. So how can the photon feel the pilot-wave interference?

FYI that paper is part of Demystifier's signature, and I don't believe it was intended for this thread specifically.

Also: I assume you are aware that the pilot wave is an element of certain interpretations of quantum mechanics. It is by no means generally accepted. Demystifier is one of our resident experts on Bohmian Mechanics (which includes the pilot wave element). To make any sense whatsoever of how to apply pilot wave to the double slit experiment, you will need to understand BM to some degree.

Likes Demystifier and sha1000
DrChinese said:
FYI that paper is part of Demystifier's signature, and I don't believe it was intended for this thread specifically.

Also: I assume you are aware that the pilot wave is an element of certain interpretations of quantum mechanics. It is by no means generally accepted. Demystifier is one of our resident experts on Bohmian Mechanics (which includes the pilot wave element). To make any sense whatsoever of how to apply pilot wave to the double slit experiment, you will need to understand BM to some degree.

Oh I thought that his signature was related to the answer :), my fault.

Yes, ofc I understand that the pilot-wave scenario is only an interpretation. It seems to me that it can't describe the double slit experiment in case of the photons. But I also understand that it probably comes from my poor understanding of physics in general. Thats why I asked the question :).

sha1000 said:
As @DrChinese told you, it's only my signature.

sha1000 said:
Ah, now I think I better understand what confuses you. The initial position of the photon is usually not at the wave front. It usually starts somewhere behind. So even if the photon and the wave front have the same speed, the photon typically will not catch the wave front. I believe it answers your question.

For an analogy, you can imagine that the wave is like a train and the particle is like a man walking through the train. The man inside the train can walk, so he can be slightly faster or slightly slower than the train. But he can never walk outside of the train. So if the man arrives at the front of the train (which he almost never does), at that moment he cannot move forward faster than the train.

Likes sha1000
Demystifier said:
As @DrChinese told you, it's only my signature.Ah, now I think I better understand what confuses you. The initial position of the photon is usually not at the wave front. It usually starts somewhere behind. So even if the photon and the wave front have the same speed, the photon typically will not catch the wave front. I believe it answers your question.

For an analogy, you can imagine that the wave is like a train and the particle is like a man walking through the train. The man inside the train can walk, so he can be slightly faster or slightly slower than the train. But he can never walk outside of the train. So if the man arrives at the front of the train (which he almost never does), at that moment he cannot move forward faster than the train.

Thank you again for the response.

The assumption that "photon starts somewhere behind the wave" is it something that can be demonstrated? Or we need to assume this in order to explain the observations?

sha1000 said:
The assumption that "photon starts somewhere behind the wave" is it something that can be demonstrated? Or we need to assume this in order to explain the observations?
Both. We need to assume it to explain the observations, but under certain conditions it can be explained by certain statistical arguments.

Likes sha1000
Demystifier said:
Both. We need to assume it to explain the observations, but under certain conditions it can be explained by certain statistical arguments.

I think I got my answer. I need some time to think about the answers you gave me.

Just an off topic question. I read some papers about the non-zero photon mass and its implications in phyisics. I think that it could be a good alternative assumption which could explain why the photon is not in the wavefront of the pilotwave but is slightly behind (since in this case photons velocity is a little bit smaller than c).

1. What is the pilot-wave theory?

The pilot-wave theory, also known as the de Broglie-Bohm theory, is an interpretation of quantum mechanics that suggests particles have both a position and a "pilot-wave" that guides their motion. This theory proposes that the randomness and wave-like behavior seen in quantum systems is due to our lack of knowledge about the initial conditions of the particles and not inherent to the particles themselves.

2. How does the pilot-wave theory explain the double slit experiment?

In the double slit experiment, particles are fired at a barrier with two slits and a screen is placed behind the barrier to observe the resulting pattern. According to the pilot-wave theory, the particles have a pilot-wave that passes through both slits and interferes with itself, creating the characteristic interference pattern on the screen. This is in contrast to the traditional interpretation of quantum mechanics, where particles are considered to be in a superposition of states and do not have a definite path.

3. What is the role of the velocity of the pilot-wave in the double slit experiment?

The velocity of the pilot-wave is crucial in determining the behavior of particles in the double slit experiment. The pilot-wave must have a velocity that is fast enough to keep up with the particles and guide them through the slits, but not so fast that it causes the particles to deviate from their expected path. This balance of velocity is what allows the particles to create the interference pattern on the screen.

4. Can the pilot-wave theory be tested experimentally?

Yes, the pilot-wave theory has been tested and confirmed in various experiments. One notable experiment was conducted by John Bush and colleagues in 2015, where they observed the motion of droplets on a vibrating fluid surface and found that they exhibited behaviors similar to particles in the double slit experiment. This provided strong support for the pilot-wave theory and its ability to explain quantum phenomena.

5. What are the implications of the pilot-wave theory for our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The pilot-wave theory challenges the traditional interpretation of quantum mechanics and offers a different perspective on the nature of particles and their behavior. It suggests that particles have a definite position and motion, contrary to the idea of superposition in traditional quantum mechanics. This could potentially lead to a better understanding of the underlying principles of quantum mechanics and open up new avenues for research and experimentation.