No vacuum anywhere vs the measurement of "c"

In summary: Welcome. Here's the deal. If you make a claim like " but there isn’t anywhere a real vacuum possible in the universe" then you need to document that and (see Wikipedia) is insufficient. You need to up your game a bit if you wish serious discussion.
Dangoe
TL;DR Summary
Question: We defined the second and hence the meter by the speed of light in vacuum "c", but there isn’t anywhere a real vacuum possible in the universe never (see Wikipedia). How and where was c measured then?
Hi to the community!

Glad to be able to ask 1-2 questions here so signed up. As an interested layman with some autodidactic efforts, still can’t see how this happened or got to the value:

Question: We defined the second and hence the meter by the speed of light in vacuum, but there isn’t anywhere a real vacuum possible in the universe (see Wikipedia). How and where was c measured then?

Would appreciate any comprehensive answers!

Regards,
Dangoe

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome.
Here's the deal. If you make a claim like " but there isn’t anywhere a real vacuum possible in the universe" then you need to document that and (see Wikipedia) is insufficient.
You need to up your game a bit if you wish serious discussion.

Likes Dangoe
The index of refraction in the space between galaxies is about 1.000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 2. Why should I worry about that?

• Haha
  • Love
Likes dextercioby, Dangoe, russ_watters and 5 others
My Wikipedia pages say, the pressure on the moon is about ##0.000000001## Pascal, and we have achieved a vacuum pressure below ##0.0000000000000001## Pascal. And the moon has a mean free path of about ##10000## km.

Likes dextercioby, Dangoe, russ_watters and 1 other person
hutchphd said:
Welcome.
Here's the deal. If you make a claim like " but there isn’t anywhere a real vacuum possible in the universe" then you need to document that and (see Wikipedia) is insufficient.
Thanks for your reply hutchphd,

Of course you are absolutely right
hutchphd said:
Welcome.
Thanks for your reply hutchphd,

Of course you are absolutely right, I just skipped that because so obvious presumably. Anyway, here we go: “Im bekannten Universum gibt es kein vollständiges Vakuum, und es ist mit bekannten technischen Mitteln auch nicht erzeugbar.” (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vakuum) =~ In the known universe there is no complete vacuum, and it is not producible with known technical means.

Sorry I have some issues with my device (iPad), keeps ghosting my keyboard, tried again maybe overlapping answers - I switch to another one now.

Likes hutchphd
Vanadium 50 said:
The index of refraction in the space between galaxies is about 1.000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 2. Why should I worry about that?
Hi Vanadium 50,
Thanks for this number. How did you get it, and how being so sure?
Regards,
Dangoe

Dangoe said:
Summary: Question: We defined the second and hence the meter by the speed of light in vacuum "c", but there isn’t anywhere a real vacuum possible
The question isn’t if a vacuum meets some unobtainable ideal of a “real vacuum”. What matters is if the light interacts with matter.

There is a theorem called the optical extinction theorem that can be used to know if light of a specific wavelength traveling through a specific actual vacuum has interacted with matter.

While there are experiments and astronomical observations that are subject to criticism under the extinction theorem, there are many that are not. The requisite levels of vacuum for easily accessible sources are in fact achievable.

• Informative
Likes dextercioby, Dangoe, pinball1970 and 3 others
fresh_42 said:
My Wikipedia pages say, the pressure on the moon is about ##0.000000001## Pascal, and we have achieved a vacuum pressure below ##0.0000000000000001## Pascal. And the moon has a mean free path of about ##10000## km.
Thanks fresh_42, but both not a vacuum anyway. Maybe enough you say? Regards, Dangoe

Dangoe said:
How did you get it
Looked up the density of gas in the IGM.

Likes Dangoe
Dangoe said:
Of course you are absolutely right, I just skipped that because so obvious presumably.
The other motivator for me was that there are almost never real absolutes. (@Dale invocation's of the optical theorem notwithstanding !) But a number without an uncertainty usually lacks standing.

Likes Dangoe
Dale said:
The question isn’t if a vacuum meets some unobtainable ideal of a “real vacuum”. What matters is if the light interacts with matter.

There is a theorem called the optical extinction theorem that can be used to know if light of a specific wavelength traveling through a specific actual vacuum has interacted with matter.

While there are experiments and astronomical observations that are subject to criticism under the extinction theorem, there are many that are not. The requisite levels of vacuum for easily accessible sources are in fact achievable.
Ah, ok, thanks Dale!

I am going to follow your path "optical extinction theorem" to understand it better. I still can't believe we got c in a "vacuum" just like that, implying the second, meter and etcetera...

Regards,
Dangoe

Dangoe said:
I am going to follow your path "optical extinction theorem" to understand it better.
A good resource is this page:

https://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/experiments.html

It lists a lot of experiments on special relativity and indicates which ones are subject to criticism under the extinction theorem and which are not.

Dangoe said:
I still can't believe we got c in a "vacuum" just like that, implying the second, meter and etcetera...
Why not?

When scientists describe c as “the speed of light in vacuum”, there never was any implication by them that it was some sort of unobtainable ideal of vacuum. That is just something that you added.

When scientists refer to the speed of light in vacuum, they just mean that the light isn’t interacting with matter. The extinction theorem quantifies that.

What is so unbelievable about that?

Likes dextercioby and Dangoe
While I haven't read about the extinction theorem for me "in vacuum" means in vacuum. Not complicated, what to not understand what I find unbelievable about.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Dangoe said:
While I haven't read about the extinction theorem for me "in vacuum" means in vacuum. Not complicated, what to not understand what I find unbelievable about.
You seem to be more interested in promoting, and insisting upon, your point of view than you are in learning about science. As should be clear from reading the responses, YOU are the only one proposing that there is a requirement for some perfect vacuum in order for the physics to make sense.

• Sad
Likes Dangoe
I was just chatting before reading and learning more. Thanks again for the hint above. And yes, makes sense when clear, not before. Until later.

Dangoe said:
for me "in vacuum" means in vacuum
Yes, and it is measured in vacuum. An unrealizable stringent connotation to those words is not implied.

Dangoe said:
Not complicated, what to not understand what I find unbelievable about.
I understand your original confusion. What I don’t understand is why you found the clear answer unbelievable.

You are interpreting “in vacuum” with a meaning that is not intended by scientists. Why is that unbelievable? People miscommunicate in this fashion all the time. The listener hearing a word with a different meaning than the speaker intended. It is a daily experience for me. How can the idea that this has happened here be “unbelievable”? Have you really never had this experience before?

Likes Dangoe, russ_watters and sophiecentaur
Dangoe said:
Maybe enough you say?
The phrase "near enough for Jazz" applies everywhere in Science. We know nothing with absolute accuracy but that doesn't prevent us from coming up with models that predict with useful accuracy. An example of this is the mass of a photon which is specified, not as zero but as less than a given value. Here, that value is quoted as possibly 3X10-27eV but not zero.

Likes dextercioby, Dangoe, malawi_glenn and 1 other person
There's a fairly simple procedure that would allay most doubts. Fill a chamber with high-pressure air and then measure the speed of light through that chamber. Next, reduce the air pressure and measure the speed of light through the chamber again. Then reduce the air pressure again and redo the measurement. Repeat until you can't get the pressure down any further or you reach the limits of precision with your experimental setup.

Now graph the calculated speed vs the air pressure. You'll find that it approaches a certain value as the pressure is reduced. This value also happens to closely match that calculated using measurements of the fine structure constant and many other methods.

Dangoe said:
How and where was c measured then?
See here for more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light#Measurement
There have been many measurements of the speed of light throughout the last 100+ years, far too many to list individually. One could say that every single instance of telecommunications via satellites is a test, as are communications with space probes and rovers.

Likes dextercioby, Dangoe, jbriggs444 and 2 others
Well, there aren't any frictionless planes, stretchless ropes, perfect spheres, etc. either.At some point you have to ask "does the fact that this isn't ideal make any difference?"

Vacuum imperfections makes a difference of a part in 1024. which is under a microsecond over the entire history of the universe. If that's really a problem, I don't know what to say.

It is also worth pointing out that a physical realization of a seconds standard - i.e. a clock - it a hundred million times worse. That is, if `I build two identical clocks as well as I can, over the life of the universe, they will drift apart by around a minute.

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby, Dangoe, sophiecentaur and 5 others
Vanadium 50 said:
Well, there aren't any frictionless planes
Obviously you've never seen me try to ice skate... :wink:

• Haha
Likes Dangoe, sophiecentaur and phinds
There are no infinite precision time- or position measurments. Since 1983 c is a defined quantity.

Likes Dangoe
I think the OP's objection is "how can it be a defined quantity if the physical realization of the definition is imperfect in the 25th decimal place?"

This is essentisally the same question as "How can π have more than 25 digits if we can't make a bigger circle out of atoms?"

• Love
Likes hutchphd, dextercioby, Dangoe and 4 others
I guess the OP was surprised by the fact that meters and seconds are defined by some odd numbers with ten digits. If that involves the speed of light in a vacuum, the question is: Can we measure the speed of light up to ten digits without being able to create a perfect vacuum?

The answer is yes, and we can produce even better vacua than are necessary to obtain such precision. I further assume that this answer is satisfactory since it is a B-level thread. Measurement is never completely accurate, which is why those odd numbers were finally fixed in the definition of meters and seconds.

Likes dextercioby, Dangoe and sophiecentaur
fresh_42 said:
I guess the OP was surprised by the fact that meters and seconds are defined by some odd numbers with ten digits.

I don't think so. He starts with

Dangoe said:
Summary: Question: We defined the second and hence the meter by the speed of light in vacuum "c", but there isn’t anywhere a real vacuum possible

Based on what he writes, the objection seems to be that an ideal vacuum can't be realized. And there's nothing special about this - the ideal anything can't be realized. That's why we call it "ideal". :wink:

Likes dextercioby, Dangoe, sophiecentaur and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
And there's nothing special about this - the ideal anything can't be realized.
Thank you! Nobody believes me when I tell them that there is no such thing like a circle.

• Haha
Likes dextercioby, Dangoe, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
fresh_42 said:
Thank you! Nobody believes me when I tell them that there is no such thing like a circle.
Geometrical figures are all abstract and axiomatic. Saying there's 'no such thing' is bound to get you a hostile reaction. People tend not to get the distinction between maths and the real world.

Likes dextercioby, Dangoe and topsquark
fresh_42 said:
A platonic one?

You mean in the real world though yes?

OOPS! EDIT. @sophiecentaur already answered

Likes Dangoe, fresh_42 and topsquark
It is important to get from the formal definition to a practical realization of the definition. The BIPM has something to say about that.
https://www.bipm.org/documents/20126/41489670/SI-App2-metre.pdf/0e011055-9736-d293-5e56-b8b1b267fd68?version=1.8&t=1637238031486&download=true said:
While the definition for the metre refers to light traveling in vacuum, in most cases the realization of the length unit is performed under atmospheric pressure. Then the exact value of the influence of the air on the speed of light is of major importance. Therefore, a distinction has to be made between c, the speed of light in vacuum and c′, the speed of light in general. Under atmospheric pressure, the air refractive index reduces the speed of light (c′ = c/n) with a relative effect of the order of ##3 \times 10^{–4}## corresponding to 300 µm per metre of measured length. Moreover, in the case of modulated light it is important to consider the group refractive index of air ng instead of the (phase-) refractive index, n. For example, for green light (λ  520 nm) ng – n is approximately ##10^{–5}## , i.e. considering n instead of ng causes an additional error of 10 µm per metre. This difference is significant and comparable in size to the variation of the phase refractive index of air over the entire range of visible light: n(380 nm) – n(780 nm) = ##9 × 10^{–6}## . Thus, determination of the exact speed of light to use in equation (1) is a significant consideration in realizing the metre through primary methods.

Likes dextercioby, Dangoe, Nugatory and 1 other person
Don't abstractions exist?

Call the philosophy squad...

• Haha
Likes Dangoe and topsquark
hutchphd said:
Don't abstractions exist?

Call the philosophy squad...
in what sense?

pinball1970 said:
in what sense?
Smell. A good abstraction smells like a musty book. A bad abstraction will clear the room almost as fast as a bad pun.

• Haha
Likes Dangoe, Bystander, hutchphd and 2 others
jbriggs444 said:
Smell. A good abstraction smells like a musty book. A bad abstraction will clear the room almost as fast as a bad pun.
As they say "He who smelt it dealt it". Calls for an abstractor fan, perhaps.

• Haha
Likes Dangoe
Student: -"Imaginary numbers do not exists"
*Teacher writes "i2=-1" on the blackboard*
Teacher -"there it is"

• Haha
Likes Dangoe
Thank you guys, you showed almost everything possible to understand better. Am so happy I signed up. I can't ask professors so sticking to asking in a forum, here is one of the best I was told. And indeed is, thanks a lot.

Wasn't reading here in between but read a part of Dale's suggestions.
@Dale: Of course missunderstandings are common by different definitions (interpretations) of words for example. Appreciating you understanding my initial confusion. Still having a hard time to accept the given language though.

From the link:
"Measured c = 299,792,458.8 0.2 metre/s, with 1.2 metre uncertainty due to realization of the Kr metre standard used."
Source: https://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/phys...ments.html#Measurements_of_the_Speed_of_Light
Those measures are obviously showing uncertainties there. Still haven't got into the papers there, no context available otherwise. Anyway probably enough.

And back to the vacuum:
The Ewald–Oseen extinction theorem says that the light emitted by the atoms has a component traveling at the speed of light in vacuum, which exactly cancels out ("extinguishes") the original light wave."
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewald–Oseen_extinction_theorem#Overview
This as an example, couldn't understand how this all really works, have to review it more in depth. Looks to me like a circular reasoning somehow or so until now. Have to learn much more...

Nevertheless I consider my question as answered, very well answered. Thanks for any contribution from the community. May get back to some details soon.
Dangoe

Likes pinball1970, Drakkith, Dale and 1 other person