Nobel prize: molecular machines

In summary, the Nobel Prize in Chemistry was awarded in 2016 to Jean-Pierre Sauvage, Sir J. Fraser Stoddart, and Bernard L. Feringa for their groundbreaking work on molecular machines. These machines are tiny structures built with individual molecules that can perform specific tasks, mimicking the movements of natural machines like muscles and motors. Their research has significant implications for the fields of nanotechnology and synthetic biology, and has opened up new possibilities for the development of advanced materials and devices.
DrClaude
Mentor
The Nobel prize in chemistry for 2016 has been awarded "for the design and synthesis of molecular machines."

These are fascinating constructions made up of just a few molecules, so they are the smallest machines possible. It is far from trivial to get these things working, especially since thermal noise is important at that scale (although in some cases, thermal noise can be rectified and serve as a source of energy).

The popular scientific description can be found here: http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/2016/popular-chemistryprize2016.pdf

For a more in-depth description: http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/2016/advanced-chemistryprize2016.pdf

P.-S.: As always, Nature had beaten us to it, as there are molecules in living organisms that are basically molecular motors. The most striking example is kinesin, the "walking" molecule fueled by ATP:

Likes Andreas C, Asmaa Mohammad, Conductivity and 6 others
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Congratulations to the three!

Prof. Feringa came to my university last year. Unfortunately, I was not in my country back then and I could not go see his lecture (Interestingly, I was in the Netherlands that time).

My major is not molecular machines, so I can't really say much about it, but it sure is interesting.

Likes Logical Dog
Definitely fascinating subject.

Just ran into this thread and it needs to be bumped! Amazing!

Likes OmCheeto, 1oldman2, BillTre and 1 other person
HAYAO said:
My major is not molecular machines,

lol I don't think it is exists, closest I can think of is nanotechnology or MEMS engineering.

The video made my mouth open as wide as it can. Literally.

The thing is we will never catch up with nature. We just follow what it does and try to replicate.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
One of the laureates, Ben Feringa, is a professor of "my" university (Groningen, Holland). A very down-to-earth and genuine guy, as far as I know him.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Just ran into this thread and it needs to be bumped! Amazing!
It had my head spinning for days.
There is a lot of "future science" embedded in this idea, IMHO.

1. What is the Nobel Prize for molecular machines?

The Nobel Prize for molecular machines is an award given to scientists who have made outstanding contributions in the field of creating and understanding molecular machines. These machines are tiny devices that are made up of individual molecules and have the ability to perform specific tasks.

2. Who won the Nobel Prize for molecular machines in 2016?

The Nobel Prize for molecular machines was awarded to three scientists in 2016: Jean-Pierre Sauvage, Sir J. Fraser Stoddart, and Bernard L. Feringa. They were recognized for their work in designing and synthesizing molecular machines, including the first molecular motor.

3. What is the significance of the Nobel Prize for molecular machines?

The Nobel Prize for molecular machines is significant because it recognizes and celebrates groundbreaking research in the field of nanotechnology and nanoscience. It also highlights the potential of molecular machines to revolutionize various industries, such as medicine, energy, and materials science.

4. How are molecular machines created?

Molecular machines are created by chemically synthesizing individual molecules and then assembling them into larger structures. Scientists use various techniques, such as self-assembly and nanolithography, to control the movement and interactions of these molecules, ultimately resulting in functional molecular machines.

5. What are some potential applications of molecular machines?

Molecular machines have the potential to revolutionize various industries, including medicine, energy, and materials science. They could be used for targeted drug delivery, creating more efficient and sustainable energy sources, and developing new and advanced materials with unique properties. They could also have applications in computing and information storage, as well as in environmental remediation and detection of pollutants.