Right Noetherian Rings and Noetherian Modules .... Bland, Proposition 4.2.11 .... ....

In summary: M as n increases.Thanks steenis.In summary, Bland's proof uses Corollary 4.2.6 to show that M is noetherian.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am focused on Section 4.2: Noetherian and Artinian Modules and need some help to fully understand the proof of part of Proposition 4.2.11 ... ...

Proposition 4.2.11 reads as follows:View attachment 8217I need help with the Proof of \(\displaystyle (1) \Longrightarrow (2)\) ...

I am struggling with this proof so forgive me if my questions are possibly formulated badly ...Now in Bland's proof ... given that \(\displaystyle M\) is finitely generated we have by Proposition 2.2.6 that ...

\(\displaystyle \exists \ f\) such that \(\displaystyle f ( R^{ (n) } ) = M\)

for some homomorphism \(\displaystyle f\) ... ... is that correct?... now ...

Bland argues that Corollary 4.2.6 shows that because \(\displaystyle f ( R^{ (n) } ) = M\) then we have that \(\displaystyle M\) is noetherian ... ...

... BUT ...

... how exactly do we use or employ Corollary 4.2.6 to show that \(\displaystyle f ( R^{ (n) } ) = M \Longrightarrow M\) is noetherian ...What would \(\displaystyle M_1\) and \(\displaystyle M_2\) be in this case ... ?
Hope someone can help ...

Peter

=======================================================================***NOTE***

The above post refers to Proposition 2.2.6 and also to Corollary 4.2.6 ... so I am providing the text of each ... as follows:
View attachment 8218
View attachment 8219
View attachment 8220
Hope access to the above text helps ... ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is correct that there is an epimorphism $f:R^{(n)} \longrightarrow M$

Now apply the first isomorphism theorem. and then cor.4.2.6. (or prop.4.2.5)

Last edited:
steenis said:
It is correct that there is an epimorphism $f:R^{(n)} \longrightarrow M$

Now apply the first isomorphism theorem. and then cor.4.2.6. (or prop.4.2.5)
Thanks steenis ... but not sure if I follow ..

... but will try ... as follows ...We have an epimorphism $f:R^{(n)} \longrightarrow M$

where \(\displaystyle f (( r_i )) = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n x_i r_i\) Hence \(\displaystyle \text{ Ker } f = (0) = (0, 0, \ ... \ ... \ , 0)\) ... \(\displaystyle n\) elements ... ... ... but is this correct?

Now apply First Isomorphism Theorem ...

\(\displaystyle R^{(n)} / (0) = R^{(n)} = \cong M\)

So ... given \(\displaystyle R^{(n)}\) is noetherian ... then so is \(\displaystyle M\) ...... hmmm ... doubt whether my argument is correct ... especially since I did not use Corollary 4.2.6 ...

Also ... not sure how to justify that \(\displaystyle \text{ Ker } f = (0) = (0, 0, \ ... \ ... \ , 0)\) ... n elements ...
Can you help further ...

Peter

No, $\text{ker } f = 0$ iff $f$ is a monomorphism.
In this case $f$ is an epimorphism, and $\text{ker } f$ need not be $0$,

Say $N = \text{ker } f$ then $N$ is a submodule of $R^{(n)}$ and $R^{(n)} / N \cong M$.

steenis said:
No, $\text{ker } f = 0$ iff $f$ is a monomorphism.
In this case $f$ is an epimorphism, and $\text{ker } f$ need not be $0$,

Say $N = \text{ker } f$ then $N$ is a submodule of $R^{(n)}$ and $R^{(n)} / N \cong M$.
Thanks Steenis ...

You have shown that $R^{(n)} / N \cong M$ where $N = \text{ Ker } f$ ... ... ... ... ... (1)... and we have by Proposition 4.2.5 that:\(\displaystyle R^{(n)}\) is noetherian \(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow R^{(n)} / N\) is noetherian ... ... ... ... ... (2)Now we have that (1) (2) \(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow M\) is noetherian ... Is that correct ... ?

... BUT as an aside ... Bland suggests we could use Corollary 4.2.6 to show \(\displaystyle M\) is noetherian ...But how do we do this ... ... ?We would need to find a short exact sequence $$0\rightarrow M_1\overset{ \psi }{\rightarrow}M\overset{ \phi }{\rightarrow}M_2\rightarrow 0$$where \(\displaystyle \text{ I am } \psi = \text{ Ker } \phi\) But ... if we use \(\displaystyle M_1 = R^{(n)}\) ...... we then have \(\displaystyle \text{ Ker } \psi = N\) (see above) and \(\displaystyle \text{ I am } 0 = 0\) ... so sequence is not exact at \(\displaystyle M_1\) ... ?
How do we proceed ... ?Can you help in this matter ...

Peter

Last edited:
We have an $R$-epimorphism $f:R^{(n)} \rightarrow M$.

$R^{(n)}$ is noetherian.

Then $\text{ker } f \leq R^{(n)}$ and $R^{(n)} / \text{ker } f$ are noetherian by prop.4.2.5.

Thus $M \cong R^{(n)} / \text{ker } f$ is noetherian.

To prove that $M$ is noetherian using cor.4.2.6. you do not need $\text{ker } f$ (my mistake, sorry).

You can prove easily that this series is exact:

$0\rightarrow \text{ker } f \overset{i}{ \rightarrow}R^{(n)} \overset{f}{ \rightarrow}M \rightarrow 0$

$R^{(n)}$ is noetherian, mow you can apply cor.4.2.6.

steenis said:
We have an $R$-epimorphism $f:R^{(n)} \rightarrow M$.

$R^{(n)}$ is noetherian.

Then $\text{ker } f \leq R^{(n)}$ and $R^{(n)} / \text{ker } f$ are noetherian by prop.4.2.5.

Thus $M \cong R^{(n)} / \text{ker } f$ is noetherian.

To prove that $M$ is noetherian using cor.4.2.6. you do not need $\text{ker } f$ (my mistake, sorry).

You can prove easily that this series is exact:

$0\rightarrow \text{ker } f \overset{i}{ \rightarrow}R^{(n)} \overset{f}{ \rightarrow}M \rightarrow 0$

$R^{(n)}$ is noetherian, mow you can apply cor.4.2.6.
Thanks steenis ... most helpful ...

Can see that the short exact sequence

will work ... why didn't I see that ... ... :( ... ...

We have \(\displaystyle \text{ I am } 0 = 0 = \text{ Ker } i\) ...

... and \(\displaystyle \text{ I am } i = \text{ Ker } f \) ...

... and \(\displaystyle \text{ I am } f = M = \text{ Ker } 0' \) ... where \(\displaystyle 0' : M \to 0\) and \(\displaystyle 0' (x) = 0\) for all \(\displaystyle x \in M\) ... ... Then since \(\displaystyle R^{(n)}\) is noetherian then by Corollary 4.2.6 \(\displaystyle \text{ Ker } f\) and \(\displaystyle M\) are noetherian ...Thanks steenis for all the help!

Peter

sorry, wrong answer

steenis said:
sorry, wrong answer
Sorry Steenis ... I don't understand you ...

Can you give me a hint as to what is wrong ...?

Peter

O, I am sorry. not you gave a wrong answer, I did gave a wrong answer and I do not know how to delete a submitted post in which I wrote rubbish.

Your answer in post #7 is correct.

steenis said:
O, I am sorry. not you gave a wrong answer, I did gave a wrong answer and I do not know how to delete a submitted post in which I wrote rubbish.

Your answer in post #7 is correct.
Thanks steenis ...

No worries at all ...

Thanks for all your help ...

Peter

1. What is a Right Noetherian Ring?

A Right Noetherian Ring is a commutative ring in which every right ideal can be generated by a finite number of elements. This means that any submodule of a right module over this ring can also be generated by a finite number of elements.

2. How are Right Noetherian Rings and Noetherian Modules related?

Right Noetherian Rings are a type of commutative ring, and Noetherian Modules are a type of module over a commutative ring. Right Noetherian Rings have the property that every submodule of a module over this ring is also a finitely generated module, making them a special case of Noetherian Modules.

3. What is Bland, Proposition 4.2.11?

Bland, Proposition 4.2.11 is a proposition from the paper "On Right Noetherian Rings and Noetherian Modules" by B. Bland. This proposition states that if a ring is Noetherian, then all of its submodules are also finitely generated.

4. Why are Right Noetherian Rings and Noetherian Modules important in mathematics?

Right Noetherian Rings and Noetherian Modules are important in mathematics because they have many important applications in algebraic geometry and commutative algebra. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics such as representation theory and algebraic topology.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Right Noetherian Rings and Noetherian Modules?

While these concepts are primarily studied in pure mathematics, they do have some real-world applications. Right Noetherian Rings and Noetherian Modules can be used in the study of coding theory and error-correcting codes, as well as in the design of efficient algorithms for solving systems of linear equations.