Nomenclature : global or constant phase

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of phase factor in quantum theory and whether it is a constant or a global phase factor. The participants also consider the possibility of a phase being related to the shape of the wavefunction. However, without proper context, it is difficult to determine the exact meaning and mathematical implications of this concept.
jk22
Is the phase factor in : ##e^{i\phi}\Psi(x)## a constant or a global phase factor called ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know without context ;-).

Indeed I hesitated to put it in the math section.

Or : does it happen to have something like : ##e^{i\int K(\Psi(s),s)ds}\Psi(x)## ?

So that the phase on a function of all the points, or the shape of the wavefunction ?

But anyhow I would think it's unhandlable and very heavy mathematically.

Last edited:
I have no clue, what you are talking about. You should provide the physics context. Phases are everywhere in quantum theory. Their meaning depends on the context of the physics you want to describe!

1. What is nomenclature?

Nomenclature is the system of naming things, such as organisms, chemicals, or elements, in a consistent and organized manner.

2. What is global phase in nomenclature?

Global phase in nomenclature refers to a system where the names of things are standardized and universally recognized, regardless of location or language.

3. What is constant phase in nomenclature?

Constant phase in nomenclature refers to a system where the names of things are consistent and unchanging, regardless of any external factors.

4. Which type of nomenclature is more commonly used?

Global phase nomenclature is more commonly used, as it allows for universal understanding and communication among scientists and researchers from different countries and backgrounds.

5. Why is nomenclature important in science?

Nomenclature is important in science because it allows for clear and precise communication among scientists, avoids confusion and errors, and promotes consistency and accuracy in research and data analysis.