Non-HP RPN Scientific Calculators?

In summary, the speaker is a college freshman looking to buy a scientific calculator for exams, but graphing calculators are not allowed. They have been using an HP-48 emulator for Android in RPN mode, but are looking for a physical RPN calculator. The cheapest option is the HP 33s at $40, but the speaker would prefer the HP 35s for $10 more. They are also wondering if there are any non-HP RPN calculators that are cheaper, but they need a physical calculator for exams. However, it seems that HP currently dominates the market for RPN calculators.
raycosm
I'm a freshman now in college and I'm looking to buy a scientific calculator, since graphing calculators aren't allowed in my exams. I've been running through high school with my TI-89 in class, though in senior year I became interested in RPN and have been using an HP-48 emulator for Android in RPN mode just for kicks.

However, the cheapest RPN calculator by HP is the 33s, which is running at $40. (and I'd prefer a 35s since they look much nicer and are more advanced but $10 more). Are there any non-HP RPN scientific calculators that are cheaper? Keep in mind, I need a physical calculator to use in exams, otherwise I'd just use my phone.

Computer science news on Phys.org
raycosm said:
However, the cheapest RPN calculator by HP is the 33s, which is running at $40. (and I'd prefer a 35s since they look much nicer and are more advanced but $10 more). Are there any non-HP RPN scientific calculators that are cheaper? Keep in mind, I need a physical calculator to use in exams, otherwise I'd just use my phone.

HP certainly dominates RPN calcs at the moment. I'm afraid you won't find much else.

What is a non-HP RPN scientific calculator?

A non-HP RPN (Reverse Polish Notation) scientific calculator is a type of calculator that uses a different method of inputting and calculating equations compared to traditional algebraic calculators. RPN calculators allow users to enter equations in a postfix notation, where the operator comes after the operands, rather than the traditional infix notation. Non-HP RPN scientific calculators are made by companies other than HP (Hewlett-Packard).

How does an RPN calculator work?

RPN calculators work by placing numbers and operators onto a stack in the order they are entered. Each time an operator is entered, it is applied to the top two items on the stack, and the result is placed back onto the stack. This allows for complex equations to be broken down into smaller, simpler steps. Once all the operands have been entered, the final result is on the top of the stack and can be displayed.

What are the advantages of using a non-HP RPN scientific calculator?

One advantage of using an RPN calculator is that it can handle complex equations and calculations more efficiently than traditional algebraic calculators. The use of a stack allows for more flexibility in inputting equations, and RPN calculators also have a larger number of built-in functions for advanced scientific and mathematical calculations. Additionally, RPN calculators are often more compact and have a longer battery life compared to other calculators.

Are there any disadvantages to using a non-HP RPN scientific calculator?

One disadvantage of RPN calculators is that they can be more difficult to use for individuals who are accustomed to traditional algebraic calculators. The postfix notation may take some time to get used to, and complex equations may require more steps to input. Additionally, RPN calculators may be more expensive compared to other types of calculators.

What are some popular non-HP RPN scientific calculators on the market?

Some popular non-HP RPN scientific calculators include the Texas Instruments TI-30X Pro MultiView, the Casio fx-115ES PLUS, and the Sharp EL-W516TBSL Advanced Scientific Calculator. These calculators offer a wide range of functions and features for various scientific and mathematical calculations, making them popular among students, engineers, and scientists.