Non Ideal Batteries in Electric Current

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with five resistors and a real battery, with the battery being modeled as an ideal emf in series with an internal resistance. The values of the resistors are given, and the measured voltage across the battery is also provided. The question asks for the current through resistor R1, and the solution involves finding the equivalent resistance and using Ohm's Law. The individual makes a mistake in their calculation, but eventually realizes and corrects it.
h2obc33

Homework Statement

A circuit is constructed with five resistors and one real battery as shown above right. We model. The real battery as an ideal emf V = 12 V in series with an internal resistance r as shown above left. The values for the resistors are: R1 = R3 = 57 Ω, R4 = R5 = 75 Ω and R2 = 133 Ω. The measured voltage across the terminals of the batery is Vbattery = 11.62 V.
h10_realbatteryA.png

1) What is I1, the current that flows through the resistor R1?

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law V=IR
Kirchoff's Laws: At Junction Iin = Iout and loop ΣVn=0

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve for I1 I did Vb/Requivalent. That would be R345 = R3+R4+R5 then I1 = Vb/(R1+(1/R345+1/R2)^-1) = 87mA
I got the message "It looks like you've calculated the current through R1 by dividing the emf of the battery (12 V) by the equivalent resistance of the external resistances in the circuit. This is not quite right. Look at the circuit more carefully to correct your mistake."
I made sure to used 11.62V instead of 12V so I still don't understand what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
h2obc33 said:

Homework Statement

A circuit is constructed with five resistors and one real battery as shown above right. We model. The real battery as an ideal emf V = 12 V in series with an internal resistance r as shown above left. The values for the resistors are: R1 = R3 = 57 Ω, R4 = R5 = 75 Ω and R2 = 133 Ω. The measured voltage across the terminals of the batery is Vbattery = 11.62 V.
h10_realbatteryA.png

1) What is I1, the current that flows through the resistor R1?

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law V=IR
Kirchoff's Laws: At Junction Iin = Iout and loop ΣVn=0

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve for I1 I did Vb/Requivalent. That would be R345 = R3+R4+R5 then I1 = Vb/(R1+(1/R345+1/R2)^-1) = 87mA
I got the message "It looks like you've calculated the current through R1 by dividing the emf of the battery (12 V) by the equivalent resistance of the external resistances in the circuit. This is not quite right. Look at the circuit more carefully to correct your mistake."
I made sure to used 11.62V instead of 12V so I still don't understand what I did wrong.
Your method is correct, Your equivalent resistance might be is wrong, or you really divided 12 V with it. What did you get as equivalent resistance?

ehild said:
Your method is correct, Your equivalent resistance might be is wrong, or you really divided 12 V with it. What did you get as equivalent resistance?
For my equivalent resistance I got 133.5606Ω and I checked I divided 11.62/133.5606 = 0.087A (87mA)

h2obc33 said:
For my equivalent resistance I got 133.5606Ω and I checked I divided 11.62/133.5606 = 0.087A (87mA)
Your equivalent resistance is not correct, I am afraid.

ehild said:
Your equivalent resistance is not correct, I am afraid.
Thank you so much, I have it right now. I realized my error, I mistook the R values for those of a previous problem. I even checked and if I had used 12 with the correct R equivalence it would have been nearly the same as my original answer.

Yws
h2obc33 said:
Thank you so much, I have it right now. I realized my error, I mistook the R values for those of a previous problem. I even checked and if I had used 12 with the correct R equivalence it would have been nearly the same as my original answer.
Yes, it was funny, that your result was as if you divided 12 V with the correct resistance :)

Likes h2obc33

What is a non-ideal battery?

A non-ideal battery is a type of battery that does not operate under perfect conditions, such as having a constant voltage and internal resistance. This can result in a decrease in the battery's performance and efficiency.

How does internal resistance affect the performance of a non-ideal battery?

Internal resistance in a non-ideal battery causes a voltage drop and decreases the battery's ability to deliver a steady and constant current. This can result in a decrease in the battery's efficiency and overall lifespan.

What are some factors that contribute to the non-ideal behavior of batteries?

There are several factors that can contribute to the non-ideal behavior of batteries, including temperature, aging, and high discharge rates. These factors can affect the chemical reactions and internal structure of the battery, leading to decreased performance.

How can non-ideal batteries be improved?

Non-ideal batteries can be improved through various methods, such as using different materials for the electrodes, optimizing the internal design, and implementing smart charging and discharging techniques. These improvements can help reduce the effects of internal resistance and improve the battery's overall performance.

What are some applications of non-ideal batteries?

Non-ideal batteries are commonly used in portable electronic devices, such as mobile phones and laptops, as well as in electric vehicles and renewable energy storage systems. They are also used in various industrial and medical applications, where a steady and reliable power source is required.