Non-Newtonian fluids at the quantum level

In summary, a non-Newtonian fluid is composed of nonspherical molecules that cause the fluid to behave differently from a Newtonian fluid. The behavior can be explained using classical mechanics, with atoms and electrons only playing a role in determining the possible shapes of the molecules and their effective forces. At the quantum level, the properties of the particles making up the atoms are not relevant in understanding the behavior of non-Newtonian fluids.
thebosonbreaker

I am intrigued by the diversity of Non-Newtonian fluids and need to ask a question.

Can anyone provide me with a breakdown of what goes on at the quantum level as the Non-Newtonian fluid bounces up and down on top of the speaker in the video I have embedded.

What I would like to know is essentially what happens in terms of:
  • Molecules and atoms
  • Electrons orbiting the nuclei of the atoms
  • Protons and neutrons in the nuclei of the atoms
  • Quarks and other particles that make up the electrons
  • Even further down the quantum level would be nice (if possible!)
Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The properties of a fluid are emergent properties. Anything more fundamental than molecule-molecule interactions will play no role in determining the Newtonian or non-Newtonian behavior of a fluid.

Likes Demystifier and bhobba
thebosonbreaker said:
What I would like to know is essentially what happens in terms of:
  • Molecules and atoms
A non-Newtonian fluid is composed of molecules whose shape seen from far away is significantly nonspherical. This causes the effective equations derived from a statistical mechanics treatment to be significantly different from the Navier-Stokes equations for Newtonian fluids. One needs additional degrees of freedom to model the deviation from sphericity. That's all.

Given the effective forces of the molecules, classical mechanics suffices to explain the deviations from Newtonian laws. Quantum mechanics, atoms and electrons are only relevant in as far as they determine the possible shapes of the molecules and the effective forces in reshaping them (i.e., their classical molecular force field). Stuff inside atoms works exactly the same as for all matter.

Last edited:
Likes Demystifier

Related to Non-Newtonian fluids at the quantum level

1. What are non-Newtonian fluids?

Non-Newtonian fluids are liquids or gases that do not follow the traditional Newtonian laws of fluid mechanics, specifically the relationship between stress and strain rate. This means that their viscosity, or resistance to flow, can change depending on the applied forces.

2. How do non-Newtonian fluids behave at the quantum level?

At the quantum level, non-Newtonian fluids behave similarly to how they do at the macroscopic level, with their properties being affected by the forces acting on them. However, at this scale, the behavior may be more complex due to the influence of quantum mechanics.

3. Can non-Newtonian fluids exhibit quantum properties?

Yes, non-Newtonian fluids can exhibit quantum properties such as quantum tunneling and entanglement. This is because at the quantum level, particles within the fluid can behave like waves, allowing them to pass through barriers and become entangled with other particles.

4. How do scientists study non-Newtonian fluids at the quantum level?

Scientists use various techniques such as quantum simulations and experiments to study non-Newtonian fluids at the quantum level. These methods involve manipulating and observing the behavior of individual particles within the fluid to understand their quantum properties.

5. What are the potential applications of understanding non-Newtonian fluids at the quantum level?

Understanding the behavior of non-Newtonian fluids at the quantum level can have practical applications in fields such as material science, nanotechnology, and even medicine. It can also help us better understand the fundamental laws of physics and quantum mechanics.