Non-Physics Major Needs Physics Help

In summary, the conversation is about a new member seeking help with understanding basic physics concepts, specifically the difference between a compound lever and a multiple lever, the classification of a wheel as a lever, and determining the mechanical advantage of a pulley system. The member also expresses confusion about the terminology and is looking for real-world examples and clarification to prepare for an upcoming test.
Muirghiel
Hi, I'm a new member, and my problem is that I'm new to physics. I'm a non-physics major, taking a physics course to fill in a science credit. This is the most basic of basic courses. I'm reviewing for a test and will post questions accordingly.

If you want symbols, variables, and data, you'll have to be patient with me. Because I do not understand any of this.

1. What is the difference between a compound lever and a multiple lever? I was told a multiple lever is made up of loads and efforts where the load of one lever becomes the effort of another lever. But I don't understand how that would work in a practical setting, and even if it did, how is that different from a compound lever? What is a compund lever? I must be able to give real-world examples of each.

2. Assume that a wheel is a type of lever, with the axle being the fulcrum. If you put the effort on the axel, does it become a third class lever, moving the outer portion of the wheel? What about when you put the effort on the outer part of the wheel? Is that a second class lever? My professor insists that we think of the wheel-and-axel as a lever. It makes very little sense to me. And for each class of...wheel? We have to identify if we gain a Mechanical Advantage (MA) or a Speed Advantage (SA).

3. How does one determine the mechanical advantage of a pulley system? My teacher says it has to do with how many ropes are at work. "The Ideal Mechanical Advantage (IMA) of a pulley system is equal to the number of supporting ropes."

If you have a long rope, it is divided among the pulleys into smaller ropes. But what's the different between a change in direction, and an actual rope?

I have more questions. Lots of them. My test is on Tuesday and I'm trying to get as much help as I can.

Physics news on Phys.org
Muirghiel said:
Hi, I'm a new member, and my problem is that I'm new to physics. I'm a non-physics major, taking a physics course to fill in a science credit. This is the most basic of basic courses. I'm reviewing for a test and will post questions accordingly.

If you want symbols, variables, and data, you'll have to be patient with me. Because I do not understand any of this.

1. What is the difference between a compound lever and a multiple lever? I was told a multiple lever is made up of loads and efforts where the load of one lever becomes the effort of another lever. But I don't understand how that would work in a practical setting, and even if it did, how is that different from a compound lever? What is a compund lever? I must be able to give real-world examples of each.

2. Assume that a wheel is a type of lever, with the axle being the fulcrum. If you put the effort on the axel, does it become a third class lever, moving the outer portion of the wheel? What about when you put the effort on the outer part of the wheel? Is that a second class lever? My professor insists that we think of the wheel-and-axel as a lever. It makes very little sense to me. And for each class of...wheel? We have to identify if we gain a Mechanical Advantage (MA) or a Speed Advantage (SA).

3. How does one determine the mechanical advantage of a pulley system? My teacher says it has to do with how many ropes are at work. "The Ideal Mechanical Advantage (IMA) of a pulley system is equal to the number of supporting ropes."

If you have a long rope, it is divided among the pulleys into smaller ropes. But what's the different between a change in direction, and an actual rope?

I have more questions. Lots of them. My test is on Tuesday and I'm trying to get as much help as I can.

Welcome to PF.

Perhaps this will help?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulley#Types_of_systems

I understand that physics can be a challenging subject for non-physics majors. I commend you for taking the initiative to seek help and clarify your understanding. Here are my responses to your questions:

1. The difference between a compound lever and a multiple lever lies in their design and function. A compound lever is made up of multiple levers connected together, with each lever having its own fulcrum. This allows for a greater mechanical advantage, meaning that a smaller effort can move a larger load. In contrast, a multiple lever is made up of multiple loads and efforts, with the load of one lever becoming the effort of another. This allows for a trade-off between force and distance, meaning that a larger effort is required to move a larger load, but the distance moved is smaller. A real-world example of a compound lever is a pair of pliers, where the handles act as levers. A real-world example of a multiple lever is a wheelbarrow, where the handles act as levers and the load is the weight in the wheelbarrow.

2. Yes, a wheel can be thought of as a type of lever, with the axle acting as the fulcrum. When the effort is applied on the axle, it is a third class lever because the effort is closer to the fulcrum than the load. When the effort is applied on the outer part of the wheel, it is a second class lever because the load is closer to the fulcrum than the effort. The mechanical advantage of a lever depends on the ratio of the effort arm (distance from the fulcrum to the effort) to the load arm (distance from the fulcrum to the load). For a third class lever, the mechanical advantage is always less than 1, meaning that a larger effort is required to move a smaller load. For a second class lever, the mechanical advantage is always greater than 1, meaning that a smaller effort can move a larger load.

3. The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is determined by the number of ropes involved. This is because each rope supports a portion of the load, reducing the overall force required. The ideal mechanical advantage is equal to the number of supporting ropes, meaning that a pulley system with 4 ropes will have a mechanical advantage of 4. The difference between a change in direction and an actual rope is that a change in direction does not support any of the load, while an actual rope

What is the importance of physics for non-physics majors?

Physics is a fundamental science that helps us understand the natural world and its laws. It provides a strong foundation for many other fields, such as engineering, medicine, and technology. Even if you are not pursuing a career in physics, having a basic understanding of its principles can help you think critically and solve problems in many areas of life.

What are some common challenges faced by non-physics majors when studying physics?

Non-physics majors may struggle with the complex mathematical concepts and equations used in physics. They may also find it challenging to visualize abstract concepts or relate them to real-world situations. Additionally, the terminology and jargon used in physics can be overwhelming for those without a strong background in the subject.

How can non-physics majors improve their understanding of physics?

There are several ways non-physics majors can improve their understanding of physics. They can attend extra help sessions or tutoring, watch online videos or lectures, and participate in study groups with classmates. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and actively engage with the material by asking questions and seeking clarification when needed.

Can non-physics majors succeed in physics courses?

Yes, non-physics majors can definitely succeed in physics courses with dedication and hard work. While it may be more challenging for them compared to students majoring in physics, it is possible to excel in the subject with a strong work ethic and a positive attitude. Seeking help when needed and actively engaging with the material can also greatly improve success in physics courses for non-physics majors.

How can knowledge of physics benefit non-physics majors in their future careers?

Even if you are not pursuing a career in physics, having a basic understanding of its principles can greatly benefit you in many fields. Physics teaches critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are highly valued by employers. It also provides a strong foundation for understanding modern technology and advancements in various industries, making non-physics majors more well-rounded and versatile professionals.