Non-stick sprays harm non-stick cooking surfaces?

In summary, according to Anolon's website, the use of cooking sprays is not recommended for use on non-stick cookware because cooking sprays burn at lower temperatures and will damage the non-stick coating of your product.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Are there exceptions to the generality that non-stick cooking sprays harm non-stick surfaces of cooking appliances?
Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
Summary:: Are there exceptions to the generality that non-stick cooking sprays harm non-stick surfaces of cooking appliances?

Are there exceptions to the generality that non-stick cooking sprays (such as "Pam") harm the non-stick surfaces of cooking appliances such as electric skillets?

Online, I find this stated as a generality (e.g. https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/tools-products/cookware-bakeware/nonstick-cookware-mistakes ). However, I have a hard time finding manufacturer's recommendations on specific appliances and specific sprays.
I've no official links backing it, but I've heard (from the pan dealers) that the propellant of sprays damage non-stick surfaces of electric appliances and regular pots and pans. Use poured oil, a bit of butter, or pump sprays.

Halc said:
I've no official links backing it,

I wonder where the generality originated.

Halc said:
Use poured oil, a bit of butter, or pump sprays.
Interesting. I'd like to hear more about this. We use non-stick pans and PAM all the time, so if using a non-aerosol version will help to make the pans last longer, that would be good to know. Looks like PAM is available in pump-spray containers...

https://www.pamcookingspray.com/products/olive-non-aerosol

1596056765907.png

1. How do non-stick sprays harm non-stick cooking surfaces?

Non-stick sprays contain chemicals that can build up on the surface of non-stick cookware over time, causing it to lose its non-stick properties. These chemicals can also break down the coating on the cookware, making it less effective at preventing food from sticking.

2. Can non-stick sprays cause health problems?

While there is no direct evidence that non-stick sprays can cause health problems, some of the chemicals they contain have been linked to potential health risks. It is best to avoid using non-stick sprays on a regular basis to minimize exposure to these chemicals.

3. Are there any alternatives to using non-stick sprays?

Yes, there are several alternatives to using non-stick sprays. You can use a small amount of oil or butter to coat the cooking surface, or invest in high-quality non-stick cookware that does not require the use of sprays.

4. How often should I clean my non-stick cookware to prevent damage from non-stick sprays?

It is recommended to clean non-stick cookware after each use to prevent the build-up of chemicals from non-stick sprays. Use mild soap and water and avoid using abrasive materials or harsh chemicals that can damage the non-stick coating.

5. Can I still use non-stick cookware if it has been damaged by non-stick sprays?

It is not recommended to continue using non-stick cookware that has been damaged by non-stick sprays. The damaged coating can affect the performance of the cookware and potentially release harmful chemicals into your food.