Non-uniform circular motion problem

In summary, the ball snaps off the string when it reaches a height of 0.6 m with a vertical displacement of (0.6-0.2) m upward, due to a negative acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2.
PEToronto
Homework Statement
A 200g ball on a 55-cm-long string is swung in a vertical circle about a point 200 cm above the floor. The string suddenly breaks when it is parallel to the ground and the ball is moving upward. The ball reaches a height 600 cm above the floor. What was the tension in the string an instant before it broke?

Given variables:
initial height: 0.2 m
final height: 0.6 m
radius: 0.55 m
mass of ball: 0.2 kg
gravity: -9.8 m/s^2

The attempt at a solution
My answer: The ball is rotating around a point that is 200 cm (0.2 m) above the ground, and snaps off when the string is parallel to the ground- i.e. when the ball is the same height as the center-point of its rotation. It reaches a height of 0.6 m or 600 cm, with a total vertical displacement of (0.6-0.2) m, or 0.4 m, upward. During this displacement of 0.4 m, it has a negative acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2 due to gravity. Using this information, and assuming that the velocity at maximum height is equal to zero, I can use the following equation to figure out the tangential velocity at the instant the ball broke off the string:

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2a(y2-y1)
=> 0^2 = Vi^2 + 2(-9.8)(0.6-0.2)
=> 0 = Vi^2 + 2(-9.8)(0.4)
=> -Vi^2 = -7.84
=> Vi = sqrt(7.84) = 2.8

Now I know that the tangential velocity of the ball the instant before it broke off the string was 2.8 m/s upward.

Since centripetal acceleration is "velocity squared over radius", and radius is 55 cm or 0.55 m, so

ac = v^2 / r
=> ac = (2.8)^2 / (0.55) = 14.25

With an acceleration of 14.25 m/s^2 toward the center, the force toward the center should be mass times acceleration, and the mass of the ball is 0.2 kg so

Fc = ac * m
=> 14.25 * 0.2 = 2.85

So the tension on the string should be 2.85 N.

Where did I go wrong?
Did I neglect some vertical component of tension that counteracts gravity while the ball is still attached to the string?

Physics news on Phys.org
The conversion of cm to m involves a factor of 100, not 1000 !

Apart from that: my compliments for a very clear posting !

And: welcome to PF, PET :)

Last edited:
I would try using conservation of energy and see if that gets you the right answer..

Oops...
Thank you so much!
One oversight that gave me a week of stress!

I got the answer, so I'm going re-title the thread as "Solved:..."
Thank you BvU and Newton!

c from centum, Latin for 100. You'll never forget any more... century, centurion, dollarcent, eurocent, and so on and so forth :)

Related to Non-uniform circular motion problem

1. What is non-uniform circular motion?

Non-uniform circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path but with varying speed. This means that the object's velocity is constantly changing, resulting in an acceleration towards the center of the circle.

2. What causes non-uniform circular motion?

Non-uniform circular motion is caused by a combination of the object's inertia and a centripetal force acting on it. The centripetal force is necessary to change the direction of the object's velocity and keep it moving in a circular path.

3. How is non-uniform circular motion different from uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the object moves at a constant speed along a circular path. This means that its velocity is constant and there is no acceleration towards the center of the circle. Non-uniform circular motion, on the other hand, involves a changing velocity and an acceleration towards the center of the circle.

4. How can we calculate the acceleration in non-uniform circular motion?

The acceleration in non-uniform circular motion can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the object's tangential velocity and r is the radius of the circular path. This acceleration is always directed towards the center of the circle.

5. What are some real-life examples of non-uniform circular motion?

Some common examples of non-uniform circular motion include a car turning a corner, a roller coaster going through loops, and a satellite orbiting the Earth. In all of these cases, the objects are moving in a circular path but with varying speeds and accelerations.