Non-uniformly sampled transfer function data

In summary: This can be done by using the log function with the transfer function data. In summary, the speaker is trying to use the Hilbert transform to obtain the phase of the transfer function from the magnitude data. They are unsure about the correct order of operations and how to handle data under 100kHz. They are also trying to interpolate the transfer function, but it does not have regularity. They are seeking advice on whether to extract input data, calculate the output, and then interpolate for linear spaced output points, and whether the output or transfer function needs to be linear for IFFT in MATLAB.
bot19
I have non-uniformly sampled transfer function data (magnitude only) in the range of 100kHz and 200MHz. Using this transfer function, I would like to calculate output from specific input.

Question :

1. To obtain phase of the transfer function from the magnitude data, I am trying to use Hilbert transform.

(1) Phase = - imag( Hilbert( log ( TF_magnitude ) ) );

Is above line of code right? I found the below equation for calculating the minimum phase.

(2) θ(ω)=−H[ln(G(ω))]

I do not know why (1) use imag function.
  2. I do not have the transfer function data under 100kHz, especially 0Hz. In this case, should I extrapolate the data under 100kHz? or insert 0? insert mean value? Does this make a big difference in output?
  3. The sampling period of the transfer function is not linear, but uniform in log-scale. To make this linear, I tried to interpolate this using cubic-spline. But as the figure below, the transfer function does not have any regularity.
Hccl6.png

Therefore, I am trying to extract input data that is corresponding to transfer function data, calculate the output, and then interpolate the output for linear spaced output points. Does it matter if I work this way?​

RgdPp.png

In addition, should I make the output (or the transfer function) linear to perform IFFT in MATLAB?​

As I am poor at English, I am not sure my thoughts are conveyed.. but I hope so. Any help would be appreciate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer :1. The line of code you provided is correct, however you need to be careful about the order of operations. You should take the log of the magnitude data first, and then use the Hilbert transform to calculate the phase. 2. You may be able to extrapolate the data under 100kHz if you have enough data points to do so, however it is not recommended as you may introduce errors into your calculations. It would be best to insert 0 or the mean value in this case. 3. Interpolating the transfer function using a cubic spline is a valid approach, but it may introduce errors into your calculations. You can try to extract input data that is corresponding to the transfer function data, calculate the output, and then interpolate the output for linear spaced output points. This will help reduce any errors introduced by the interpolation.4. In order to perform IFFT in MATLAB, you will need to make the output (or the transfer function) linear.

What is non-uniformly sampled transfer function data?

Non-uniformly sampled transfer function data refers to a set of data points that are not equally spaced across the frequency domain. This means that the sampling rate is not constant and the data points are not evenly distributed, which can make it more challenging to analyze and interpret the data.

Why is non-uniformly sampled transfer function data important?

Non-uniformly sampled transfer function data is important because it can provide more detailed and accurate information about the behavior of a system at different frequencies. It can also help to identify any non-linearities or irregularities in the system that may not be apparent with uniformly sampled data.

How is non-uniformly sampled transfer function data collected?

Non-uniformly sampled transfer function data can be collected using a variety of techniques such as time-variant sampling, random sampling, or adaptive sampling. These methods allow for a non-uniform distribution of data points across the frequency domain.

What are the challenges of working with non-uniformly sampled transfer function data?

One of the main challenges of working with non-uniformly sampled transfer function data is that it requires more sophisticated analysis techniques and tools. This can make it more time-consuming and complex to interpret the data accurately. Additionally, non-uniformly sampled data may introduce errors or inaccuracies in the analysis if not properly accounted for.

What are some applications of non-uniformly sampled transfer function data?

Non-uniformly sampled transfer function data has many applications in different fields, such as signal processing, communications, and control systems. It can be used to characterize the behavior of a system, identify its frequency response, or design filters and controllers for improved performance. It is also essential in fields such as biomedical engineering for analyzing biological signals with non-uniform frequency components.